Weekend Tournament - Wow

Subsonic2u

No wonder I can't shoot
Silver Member
I play on 3 different 8 ball pool league teams. Amateur Pool League (BCA). This past session all 3 of my teams qualified for the APL Regional/Las Vegas Qualifier tournament held at Tacony Billiards in NE Philadelphia PA. A great weekend for me. :) I went undeafeted. My one team lost in the quarter finals, but my other 2 came in 1st and 2nd. Wow, hard to beat that. ;)

Charlie

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice job, but I'm confused. If you play for 3 different teams in the same league, won't they eventually have to play each-other? Unless there is some league type organizing thing I don't know about.

Subsonic2u

No wonder I can't shoot
Silver Member
APL in SE PA is very big. Phila. (a large city) and about 50 miles of the surounding area. I live about 50 miles West of Phila. Many different (dozens?) leagues and a ton of teams. I play in 3 DIFFERENT leagues for 3 different teams, on 3 different nights. I believe there were 48 teams that had qualified for this tournament. Too many teams to play at one time. So they had 2 cards or divisions, 24 teams per card. First team to win 3 matches moved on. One team loss and your team was history. 2 of my teams were on the first card and the 3rd was on the other card (luck of the draw). 1 of the teams on the 1st card lost in the quarter finals. The other team came in first place on that card. On the second card, my other team came in first place. So then my two first place teams had to play each other for first in the tournament and the loser got 2nd. In that final match I could not play. It was great to b just a spectator and sit back and enjoy the matches. Prize $$ totalled $6800 for my 2 teams plus a trip to Las Vegas for the US Nationals with all entry fees paid.

I hate to b greedy, but it would have been great if my third team had come in third. :eek::rolleyes: I think I should b counting my blessings the way it turned out. Every team wanted to win and they all played tough. As an example, I watched one guy scratch on the final 8 ball for the team win. He threw his nice expensive Predator Q against the table and on to the floor. He not only broke the shaft, but broke the Q also. The league handicaps are pretty well right on and the league owner keeps good tabs on the shooters. If u shoot too far above your handicap, he will move u up. He tries his best to keep it fair and square.

We have a great league owner who really gives back to the players. I think at one time he was a pro or semi pro. I know he (Joe Ferris) is a BCA Instructor. We are very lucky. We have these tournaments after each session, unlike some leagues that only have $$/Vegas tournaments once a year. I have heard horror stories about some league owners. My local APA league for instance, but that is a story for another time.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would that not be a conflict of interest and cause some issues if a player plays on several teams?

Your sig about the bear.. there is another one I like.. if you are with a buddy and a bear chases after you, you don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than your buddy ;-)

Subsonic2u

No wonder I can't shoot
Silver Member
hang-the-9 said:
Would that not be a conflict of interest and cause some issues if a player plays on several teams?

Your sig about the bear.. there is another one I like.. if you are with a buddy and a bear chases after you, you don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than your buddy ;-)
I love that better than mine! :D

I agree that it would b a conflict of interest if u played on 2 teams WITHIN the same league. U could intentionally lose on one team and try to win on the other. I doubt our league owner would permit someone to do that.

I play in 3 distinct, different leagues, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. The only time these leagues/teams c each other is at a regional tournament. I also live on the edge of 3 counties so it makes driving not a problem. At the regional tournament, I guarentee u that each team and every player is out to win. As I said before, if by chance 2 teams that I play on would have to play each other, I must sit it out. I CANNOT play. That stops any conflict of interest. It would b about the same as a ball player being on the NY Mets (NL) and the NY Yankees (AL). Both teams want to win within their own leagues.