Wet Irish Linen Wrap

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having problems with my cues that have Linen wraps , staying damp or just plain wet. I have searched and have gleaned , most of the problem arises
from hand salts permeating into the wrap and causing the problem. Washing with gentle cleaners were discussed and that doing so , from time to
time would help keep the problem abated , but is there anything that would stop it from coming back. My table in the basement is in an airconditioned room and there is still some high humidity , but the grips staying wet and damp , is a bit to much . Would Scotch Gard or some new Hydrophobic
fabric spray be useful? Just checking out what others might have tried already before making myself the guinea pig

stunshotDAVE

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
they need to be cleaned with alcohol, to dissolve water. then thoroughly. once they are dry, seal with beeswax , it is waterproof and anti-bacterial. my linen wrapped Mobley cues are over 30 years old and still look new. he treats them with beeswax. i buff before they go in the case.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take small bit of wax paper. Rub it waxed side up and down linen.

Take smooth side of a brown paper bag and rub it on to get linen lay down.

Will be a bit slicker....smooth like its been pressed again.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take small bit of wax paper. Rub it waxed side up and down linen.

Take smooth side of a brown paper bag and rub it on to get linen lay down.

Will be a bit slicker....smooth like its been pressed again.
Can use spray starch as well...but the wax paper is best to me.

Dognit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its humidity. I was shocked how high mine was. I got a de-humidifier. Pumped out 14 gallons of water in 24 hours. 68% to 45%

Plumb it to the floor drain with a hose. :) Your welcome. :)

PS..also eliminated about 10 ball skids per play session.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a de-humidifier in the basement , but it's in a different part of the basement and not in the room. There isn't a spot in the room that I can run a drain. so I guess I'll just have to empty the thingamajig when it's time. I'm sure the table's cloth is absorbing moisture also and that can affect
play to a higher power to. De-humidifier is gonna be on the way and sealing the wrap will still be pondered . Beeswax , wax paper , cleaning the salts out of the wrap seams to be the biggest thing for now and I'll ponder some more. I do app the input though. One of the cues is an
Ernie Martineze (spelling ) and the other is a 79 edition Gus cue and another is a Jerry Brock Merry Widow cue I bought back a few months ago. There are many
others but those are the ones I really like.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a de-humidifier in the basement , but it's in a different part of the basement and not in the room. There isn't a spot in the room that I can run a drain. so I guess I'll just have to empty the thingamajig when it's time. I'm sure the table's cloth is absorbing moisture also and that can affect
play to a higher power to. De-humidifier is gonna be on the way and sealing the wrap will still be pondered . Beeswax , wax paper , cleaning the salts out of the wrap seams to be the biggest thing for now and I'll ponder some more. I do app the input though. One of the cues is an
Ernie Martineze (spelling ) and the other is a 79 edition Gus cue and another is a Jerry Brock Merry Widow cue I bought back a few months ago. There are many
others but those are the ones I really like.
You could consider dumping the drain water yourself rather than adding that to your wifes "duties". If the basement is that wet then I wouldn't store ANY cues down there that I liked. If the grips are absorbing that much moisture imagine what the cue wood is doing.

Last edited:

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get a couple medium sized cacti in pots and leave them in your pool room. They are natural desiccants. Think about it, wherever you see them it's dry as he**. You're welcome! 😁

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If your humidity level is that high, you have mold and mildew growing in places you can‘t even see.

Have it inspected by experts. You want to stay healthy. Takes a while to show up in your lungs.

Long story and had to get my lawyer involved, and I lost a 20+ year friend. He was an HVAC contractor but installed old-school stuff on our rebuild, rather than new-school stuff. Even had mold/mildew form on the dartboard.

New contractor installed variable-speed units for main house and separate system for game room. The new Trane system controls both temp and humidity. Now humidity is 45% through the house and Gameroom, whether 30 degrees outside or 105 degrees. Bills are less than half of what they were under the old system, in Texas, with indoor temp mostly set at 72 degrees.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
There are also dehumidifiers that are little bags that you hang in various places, really meant for damp closets. You could get a few of those, they're filled with a bunch of moisture-absorbing pellets of some kind. But it sounds like, don't store your cue down there.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
REALLY??? you can't empty that? I'd call you a lazy POS making your wife do that
Man you really got me pegged. Wife and I were at a 4 day music fest last month camping out. After the first day , the wife picked 47 Ticks
Off My Back. One of my cousins heard about what happened and called me the laziest SOB he had ever met. I asked what was up.
Told me the ticks proved how lazy I was, I should have been on Top!

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
35 to 40,000 miles I drive out on the road calling on customers all up and down the East Coast calling on Manufacturing Companies for 40 years.
I'm not home much and now at 70 , I'm still pushing it and seeing folks. To Quote --I've seen the Wife's Job and I Don't Want It.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your humidity level is that high, you have mold and mildew growing in places you can‘t even see.

Have it inspected by experts. You want to stay healthy. Takes a while to show up in your lungs.

Long story and had to get my lawyer involved, and I lost a 20+ year friend. He was an HVAC contractor but installed old-school stuff on our rebuild, rather than new-school stuff. Even had mold/mildew form on the dartboard.

New contractor installed variable-speed units for main house and separate system for game room. The new Trane system controls both temp and humidity. Now humidity is 45% through the house and Gameroom, whether 30 degrees outside or 105 degrees. Bills are less than half of what they were under the old system, in Texas, with indoor temp mostly set at 72 degrees.
Might have to check into this. There are 3 large Train Heat Pumps controling the temp in the house and thought that was also to control the humidity factor as well. Basement area is around 3000 sq feet finished and not seeing the problem anywhere else in the house, just in the game room. Might should have my heating and cooling folks come look into this . Thanks for that