What a tool!!!

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The parents were orders of magnitude out of line more then his "Nittyness". How out of normal does the shot have to be before the Nitty-police think it's acceptable? 3 Ball combo. 3 Ball combo bank-carom? Remember SVB letting his opponent shoot the wrong ball?

Lets just put the whole thing to bed.

Nittyscale =6
Poor parental example = 9

Offsetting penalties.

the more i think about it, the more i see i was wrong in my first gut response post in this thread. our definition of a nit is highly cultural. the dude comes over from vietnam, where (maybe) the rules are more binary and our definitions of sportsmanship relative to actual rules may seem completely arbitrary. and now he's hounded around because of the social media clout of the easton parents.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
the more i think about it, the more i see i was wrong in my first gut response post in this thread. our definition of a nit is highly cultural. the dude comes over from vietnam, where (maybe) the rules are more binary and our definitions of sportsmanship relative to actual rules may seem completely arbitrary. and now he's hounded around because of the social media clout of the easton parents.
I wouldn't call him a nit either. There are other words to describe his behavior here and nit is not one of them. I would say what he did was a cheap shot, for lack of a better description, and can fully understand her parents being upset. We all know what happens when we get upset. We've all been there! We may say something that we regret later which I suspect is the case here. I'm giving them a pass too. ;)

sigep1967

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There would have been no reason for Hoang to have made those ugly comments to Savannah after the match. She reluctantly accepted the result of not calling the combo far more maturely than most other players would have handled it in that situation.

Unless I missed it, the OP needs to edit and correct his first post and issue an apology for wrongly having accused Hoang of making those statements at the completion of the match.

I see now that the OP did finally admit he was wrong, in a post just before this one. If keeping up with the thread he started, he should have done so much soon
I think I did say he didn't say it on the first page, but maybe wasn't clear enough for you. Dude was still a nit for calling the foul like that on such an obvious shot.

shooter_Hans

You guys have to remember this girl isn’t some random kid we play in our weekly tournaments. The awkwardness of having to beat a kid in front of their parents.

This was a high level kid who will most likely become a professional in the future.

She played a high level player that has a chance to win. These are some people’s livelihood here.

Put it this way. You think SVB let that slide?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
What Savannah learned here is that sometimes life is not fair! That's one for all of us to remember!
Hope you're wrong. She needed to learn how "call shot" games are played in pro events. What she or anyone else thinks the rules should be is not relevant, nor is what the rules once were. As Bob Jewett so often points out, players make almost no effort to learn the rules, and often get burned because of it.

shooter_Hans

These call your shots tournaments are stupid because not only are you pocketing a thousand balls a weekend but you have to call it a thousand times. The redundancy and calling out the shot can be quite tiring and draining. It extra energy expelled.

With that said I can see how a guy that calls his shots for the entire tournament is upset that someone doesn’t do the same.

I be damn to lose this match because someone didn’t call their shot when I’ve been calling every damn shot hundreds of times every hour.

shooter_Hans

Let’s break it down some more it takes about 2 seconds to call your shot and that’s if you call it once.

3600 seconds in an hour.

So in a match or a weekend you would have exerted a non-stop hour to two hours worth of conversation. That’s like giving a speech.

This is why I hate these call your shots tournaments.

It gets tiring fast and the mental aspect as well. It’s a big deal. If it wasn’t we would see more people call out shots with their friends just so there’s no misunderstanding.

crabbcatjohn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hope you're wrong. She needed to learn how "call shot" games are played in pro events. What she or anyone else thinks the rules should be is not relevant, nor is what the rules once were. As Bob Jewett so often points out, players make almost no effort to learn the rules, and often get burned because of it.
Unless there is something I don’t know or changed its called call your pocket, not call shot Stu. I cant understand why everybody is saying call shot....lol. Different game.
If I call the 2 ball, on any good hit, I could initially miss the straight in 2 by a mile and it could go three rails around the table off another ball and be good. As long as it goes in the pocket I called its good. Call shot you would need to say three rails off the 7 to be a good shot. In call shot, on a combo you would say 5 -3 in the corner and would have to hit the 5 first. Call pocket you just call the 3...
Not many play call shot anymore because the rules can get crazy.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless there is something I don’t know or changed its called call your pocket, not call shot Stu. I cant understand why everybody is saying call shot....lol. Different game.
If I call the 2 ball, on any good hit, I could initially miss the straight in 2 by a mile and it could go three rails around the table off another ball and be good. As long as it goes in the pocket I called its good. Call shot you would need to say three rails off the 7 to be a good shot. In call shot, on a combo you would say 5 -3 in the corner and would have to hit the 5 first. Call pocket you just call the 3...
Not many play call shot anymore because the rules can get crazy.
Call shot or call pocket - same thing. You are calling a specific ball in a specific pocket, how it gets there doesn’t matter, and this is the case for all call shot/pocket games.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys have to remember this girl isn’t some random kid we play in our weekly tournaments. The awkwardness of having to beat a kid in front of their parents.

This was a high level kid who will most likely become a professional in the future.

She played a high level player that has a chance to win. These are some people’s livelihood here.

Put it this way. You think SVB let that slide?
He probably wouldn't call it, but who knows? He did let Gray shoot out of order in that tournament last year.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Technically it's 'Call ball, call pocket"... I've never heard of "called shot" including rail & carom count. Sounds like some back room tavern crap

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
technically speaking, you are supposed to call it (at least in the rules), but this can get absurd really quick. Was it obvious he was trying to pocket the 10 ball in the bottom left corner? I know he missed it, but it was an even less obvious shot than the combo Savannah took- we all know what the intended shot for both of them was and therefore you shouldn't call infractions on shots like this- it is common sense and common decency

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I did say he didn't say it on the first page, but maybe wasn't clear enough for you. Dude was still a nit for calling the foul like that on such an obvious shot.
I assume you are referring to your post #12, which is a long ways from offering an apology for accusing him of saying some very nasty things he did not say, and taking the 1 minute of time it would take you to to edit your original post, for the benefit of everyone else who has not kept up with this thread until now.

If I were Miss Easton, I’d suggest it would be appropriate for her on her Facebook page, to offer an apology for the statements her parents made to Mr. Hoang immediately following the match, if that indeed was her parents who made those statements. This would go a long ways to helping her put this entire incident to bed as a learning experience for her, as well as for her parents.

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
These call your shots tournaments are stupid because not only are you pocketing a thousand balls a weekend but you have to call it a thousand times. The redundancy and calling out the shot can be quite tiring and draining. It extra energy expelled.

Nobody is calling every shot in a 10-ball tournament like this. If it's an obvious shot as probably 95% of them are (there's a definition for "obvious"), you don't have to say anything.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nobody is calling every shot in a 10-ball tournament like this. If it's an obvious shot as nearly 90% of them are (there's a definition for "obvious"), and it's not the 10-ball, you don't have to say anything.
That would be the rational assumption, but not unlike APA rules where players are required to mark their intended pocket for the 8 ball with a marker regardless of how obvious the intended pocket is, apparently what is clearly obvious to any pool player or referee is not the case even at the pro level. Really very sad, but I guess the rationale here is that it prevents possible controversies.

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed. I don't know this particular gentlemen, but I'm at the same tournament in Vegas. One match during the lag I hit my ball a microsecond after my opponent's had hit the far rail. He clearly ended up "winning" the lag, but insisted that we lag again because the ref told him the rules were to relag in that case. (I won the second lag to no complaints.)

I don't know where he was from, only that he was clearly not American. But some folks, and some cultures, just adhere to rules with no bad intent.

Unless anyone knows otherwise, we should assume the gentleman in this case was just playing by the rules, and the same rules he applies to himself. I agree with Stu that people who are upset should have an issue with the rules, not the person.