What combination of butt and shaft do you use?

What combination of butt and shaft?

• Custom butt + Custom regular shaft (same brand)

Votes: 58 28.7%
  • Custom butt + Custom regular shaft (different brands)

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Custom butt + Custom LD shaft (same brand)

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Custom butt + Custom LD shaft (different brands)

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Custom butt + Production regular shaft

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Custom butt + Production LD shaft

Votes: 34 16.8%
  • Production butt + Custom regular shaft

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Production butt + Custom LD shaft

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Production butt + Production regular shaft (same brand)

Votes: 15 7.4%
  • Production butt + Production regular shaft (different brands)

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Production butt + Production LD shaft (same brand)

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • Production butt + Production LD shaft (different brands)

Votes: 26 12.9%

• Total voters

bulldogpool

Registered
I've been wondering what combination of butt and shaft people tend to use. For the purpose of this poll we have the following definitions.

Regular shaft = A (usually) maple shaft with normal deflection properties.
LD shaft = A low deflection shaft advertised as such.
Custom = An actual custom (e.g., not production brands like Joss, Schon, etc).

Thanks. :smile:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Okay, I'll start...

Keith Josey custom with one of it's standard maple shafts tipped with Kamui medium black.

TommyLee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pechauer production with the shaft it came with. Might switch to a 314 but I doubt anytime soon

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
P2 with a 1st gen 314. Before that was my first cue which was a no name butt with another 1st gen 314.

Luther Blissett

on the clapham omnibus
Silver Member
Pechauer production butt with Predator Z² shaft (and Predator 314² in cue case, no longer used due to preferring the Z²).

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with an Eric Brissette cue (known as EB cue). His shafts are laminated and low deflection but a bit more than predator. Best of both world.

I voted custom butt with custom ld shaft same brand

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Custom butt + Production LD shaft

My current setup is a Lee Peppers Brunswick Tru-Balance conversion with an OB-1 shaft.

Slow Eddie

I only look Filipino.
Silver Member
Can't see the poll on my phone; I'll vote later.

Always played with a production cue with a standard shaft. Went to a custom, also with a standard shaft and saw an improvement in my game. Got out of pool for a while, came back, tried off-the-shelf LD shafts on both production and custom butts, and noticed my game went down. I figured I was either too good, or not good enough, to get the benefit from a LD shaft. Went back to a custom with a standard shaft and all is right with the world. YMMV, natch.

Adam Brown

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schon STL 11 with a 1st generation 314 with kamui black medium tip. I have never even hit a ball with the Schon shaft. I hate the conical taper on them I prefer the pro taper.

Thanks, Adam

tpdtom

Really Old School
Silver Member
I've tried almost everything except a Gina or a Szam. I've loved several. Just as a worthy mention, I liked my Tony Bautista with a Mezz Hybrid Alpha shaft almost as much as my regular player, which is a Paul Dayton sneaky with a regular but well aged shaft. Best I've found.

Went from a Talisman Med to a Moori Soft to a Moori Med. That causes me more trauma than a cue butt change. Paul Dayton's taper and a Moori Soft is it for me so far. I know I'm behind the times not having tried a Kamuii SS Black but I will. I know that I could play fine with a LD shaft but the one that I have from Paul is sooooo choice that it's hard to cheat on. Lotta A players have tried it and agreed...Tom

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Good poll.

Interested in seeing the final results.

Edit: Like the sig line says..... Larry Vigus butt w/OB Classic shaft, 30"/30" split.

Maniac

Last edited: