What do you guys think of this JD custom cue?

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
Looks nice not sure what its worth his cues values are all over place but imo can't beat for the money :thumbup:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's one of the Gina copies he made, seems JD cues are varied in quality from what you read on here.

I look at it same way I do at all the laptops you see on craigslist. If the owners thought they were good to use, they'd keep them. You can find quite a bit of JD cues for sale pretty cheap, just like you can find the $200 netbook laptops all over the place for sale because people buy them for the cheapness, find out they can't run anything, and dump them for sale to get a faster computer.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I think it is a JD. Very flashy but low quality, not made to hold up with the climate change they face coming to the US.

I guess that if JD moved to America, and continued building cues from somewhere in the US, then maybe he might get more respect? He is from the Phillippines, right? But then his cues would cost much more, because the materials and cost of living would be a lot more, right?

That's one of the Gina copies he made, seems JD cues are varied in quality from what you read on here.

I look at it same way I do at all the laptops you see on craigslist. If the owners thought they were good to use, they'd keep them. You can find quite a bit of JD cues for sale pretty cheap, just like you can find the $200 netbook laptops all over the place for sale because people buy them for the cheapness, find out they can't run anything, and dump them for sale to get a faster computer.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I won't buy another cue made outside the US. That's a pretty cue, but $500 for a Filipino cue? No thanks.

I remember reading that a few of the Phillippine cue makers use a method where their cues will actually hold up really well with the climate transfer, but I forgot who those cue makers are. I know that JD was not one of them.

I think it is a JD. Very flashy but low quality, not made to hold up with the climate change they face coming to the US.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess that if JD moved to America, and continued building cues from somewhere in the US, then maybe he might get more respect? He is from the Phillippines, right? But then his cues would cost much more, because the materials and cost of living would be a lot more, right?

Maybe, I don't even think I have seen one of his cues in person, but from what I read on here, quite a few have said that the quality was not very good.

From reputation, there are only a few cue makers from the Philippines that people say are of good quality, especially once they move climates.

If the point was to get as much fancy work for a price, that JD cue is a bargain. From a cuemaker with a strong reputation, that cue is $3,000 and up. Although that is a clear "tribute" to the Gina design. It will get one all the attention you can stand if you use that cue in a pool room and you can say it cost as much as a car easily to anyone that did not know better. I know if I saw cues that others were using and then saw that one, I'd believe it was a 5-10,000 cue without knowing the market.

The seller does say he is going to the expo, I will be there and will walk around try to find this cue if it's there so I can have a first hand opinion on the thing.

Maybe the whole JD cues quality issues are from others passing on what they heard and there is only one cue he made that was bad LOL.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I would say the rate of warpage on the JD cues is minimal. The ones I have owned all stayed straight and those who I have sold to besides one which was left in the car in over 100 degree temps here in Arizona so what would you expect to happen. I have seen some for sale that did have a roll to it which can happen with many US cue makers.

You never know what happens with a cue in an owners possession and also coming for a humid place like the Philippines to a dry environment can cause the finish to shrink and then you feel rings and points. I would buy it and if that occurs just have it refinished locally and it should be fine. They play great!

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Joels cues are built quite well on average (I owned a couple dozen) and he certainly gives you a lot of design for the money.
That said, 500 for this used one is on the high side I feel.

gr. Dave

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I would say the rate of warpage on the JD cues is minimal. The ones I have owned all stayed straight and those who I have sold to besides one which was left in the car in over 100 degree temps here in Arizona so what would you expect to happen. I have seen some for sale that did have a roll to it which can happen with many US cue makers.

You never know what happens with a cue in an owners possession and also coming for a humid place like the Philippines to a dry environment can cause the finish to shrink and then you feel rings and points. I would buy it and if that occurs just have it refinished locally and it should be fine. They play great!

I bought a JD Burton Spain tribute cue about 2 years ago. The quality was well below anything I've seen in a long time. So, I sold it, but pointed out to the person about the "finish" issues. I mean, it was only a $300 cue. He bought it, and he really likes it, but he's not as particular about stuff as I think I am. And it did NOT warp since he has had it either.

I didn't expect Hercek or Tasc quality, but I expected, at minimum, Lucasi or Players quality.

That being said, that was 2 years ago, and maybe he has become more technically proficient in his finish/quality. If he can do that, and make cues for in that price range, he's gonna sell a lot of cues.....

roberthans

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went to Joel after being screwed by two American cue makers. It is beautiful and straight. It has been close to three years now. The only problem I had was the wrap sucked. For the money it was easy to repair and I am still ahead hundreds from what the cue could have cost.

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe Joel went to a new method of coring last year. May or may not have cured the warping problem. I have a 2011 cue that I bought about 2 months ago, on e-bay.
The butt and one shaft are straight. One shaft has a small bow. I shoot with the bowed shaft. Not bowed enough to effect play.

I have an OB Classic shaft and a Fury EX II shaft and I play better with the JD Cue. It has about the same deflection as the others. I don't know if the Cue is suppose to have Joel's LD shafts are not. But it sure plays nice.

A JD Cue like the one for sale sold at the end of last year new for $850.00, I believe. The Cue listed, was bid up to $610.00 last time it was listed and did not meet the reserve price. Don't know what he wants, but I have seen a lot nicer JD cues in that price range. Used.

SWN99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just reading this thread and seeing some questionable post I think you could spend money on something else and be happier.