What glue are you using?

starburst

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
somebody told me not to apply super glue as it becomes hard when it is dry and will crack. Is this true?

He also suggests cement glue.

What sort of glue are you guys using ? Please give the brand too if it's okay.

Thanks

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
starburst said:
somebody told me not to apply super glue as it becomes hard when it is dry and will crack. Is this true?

He also suggests cement glue.

What sort of glue are you guys using ? Please give the brand too if it's okay.

Thanks
assuming you mean for tips, loctite super glue GEL
there's a post on another forum about white diamond tips and how they wont stay on using superglue.
my white diamond has been on for 3 years or longer, and i am the king of miscues, especially in the later hours of the evening ;)

Last edited:

RFisher

FISHER CUES
Silver Member
BHQ said:
there's a post on another forum about white diamond tips and how they wont stay on using superglue.
my white diamond has been on for 3 years or longer, and i am the king of miscues, especially in the later hours of the evening ;)

TAP TAP, that's all I use.

dave sutton

Banned
like 3$ at walmart.

34361-01-200.jpg

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BHQ said:

I use the same (Loctite Gel). I mark the date I opened it on the bottle and if it hasn't run out in 2 months, I throw it away and start another. I've been pretty busy lately and I'm lucky if the bottles last a month.

starburst

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the reply guys. I just hope I could find it here in Australia. So it's not true that super glue cracks easily when it becomes hard (even if it's used for break cue tips) ??

Any feedback on tweeten cement ??

While I've been getting reply from few competent cue makers here:wink: , I'd like know if you guys have installed a phenolic ferrule (the brown ones, usually installed on break cues) on a playing cue, and if you did, how do they play?

I like the weight and the hit of break cue and was thinking about making it my regular playing cue.

Thanks

starburst

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found the glue on ebay, just in case if I couldn't get it here. it comes in xtra time variety too, it gives more time to work with the glue. Just some info for people outside US.

Kimball

Registered
I used the TWEETEN when I first started, it was ok, but seemed to take forever to dry. Like most of the posters, I switched to the super glue gel with excellent results. I wouldn't recommend putting a phenolic tip on a playing cue, it just isn't going to work right.

Last edited:

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
starburst said:
Thanks for all the reply guys. I just hope I could find it here in Australia. So it's not true that super glue cracks easily when it becomes hard (even if it's used for break cue tips) ??

Any feedback on tweeten cement ??

While I've been getting reply from few competent cue makers here:wink: , I'd like know if you guys have installed a phenolic ferrule (the brown ones, usually installed on break cues) on a playing cue, and if you did, how do they play?

I like the weight and the hit of break cue and was thinking about making it my regular playing cue.

Thanks

I also do a fair amount of work on snooker cues. I use Tweetens exclusively on them. I believe that the glue does not get as hard and therefore gives a softer hit. The ferrules are usually linen phenolic and the tips never come off. It does take about 15 minutes to dry.

I agree that the phenolic ferrule/tip combo is not a good choice for a playing cue. It is just too hard and would not allow you to put much spin on the cue ball. If you are just putting the ferrule on and then a regular tip it would work just fine.

starburst

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies on the cement glue.

I just put a Kamui hard on my Mezz BK with phenolic ferrule. I am going to use it as my regular playing and break cue. Hopefully it will play good.

For those who has tried putting regular tip on phenolic ferrule, how do they play, do they hit hard, too hard? Is english/spin still applicable with this tip/ferrule combination?

Thanks

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mase said:
I also do a fair amount of work on snooker cues. I use Tweetens exclusively on them. I believe that the glue does not get as hard and therefore gives a softer hit. The ferrules are usually linen phenolic and the tips never come off. It does take about 15 minutes to dry.

I agree that the phenolic ferrule/tip combo is not a good choice for a playing cue. It is just too hard and would not allow you to put much spin on the cue ball. If you are just putting the ferrule on and then a regular tip it would work just fine.

linen phenolic ferrule on a snooker cue? all mine are brass, and every cue i've seen are brass too. is the phenolic a canadian thing?

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
McChen said:
linen phenolic ferrule on a snooker cue? all mine are brass, and every cue i've seen are brass too. is the phenolic a canadian thing?

Most of the snooker players are getting away from brass. I would say in Canada maybe 10% to 20% are still using brass with the rest using a phenolic of some kind. Common sense says that whatever you put on is going to weigh less than the brass and therefore reduce the throw.

Cuetips

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mase said:
Most of the snooker players are getting away from brass. I would say in Canada maybe 10% to 20% are still using brass with the rest using a phenolic of some kind. Common sense says that whatever you put on is going to weigh less than the brass and therefore reduce the throw.

I have probably changed an average of 8-10 brass snooker ferrrules to either the brown or black phelonic canvas ferrules yearly over the last couple of years. The snooker players here in London feel it gives a softer hit than the brass ferrules. Had one that come back busted, but the guy was using his snooker cue to play some 9-ball. Advised him that if he did it again, I would not warranty the work.

Walter

bob_bushka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer locktite professional. it is a thin CA and it seems to penetrate leathers better than the gels.

starburst

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been using my friend's glue (I am not a cheap man:wink: ) and when I told him that people in this forum have been suggesting loctite, he told me the glue I used was actually loctite. Just because he got it from his korean friend and the label was written in korean we thought it was just some cheap glue made in china.