What happened to Tony Anagoni ??

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
What pool player/ road player book isn't?
Every single one I've ever read is the same......."I banged all the hottest women"......"Every 6ft 8in gorilla that got in my face, I knocked out with one punch"......"I went to every town - never lost a big match - only ever lost when I meant to to set up a big score"......"(insert legendary pool player's name here) never beat me"

Lol ... isn't that the truth. "I beat every human-bean on earth!" was Fatty's claim to fame!

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
I met him one time at Hollywood Billiards (The old cue club in SF that he owed and the premise for the book... To save it financially) and I had Playing off the Rail in my bag. I said hi to him and asked him if he would signed it. He kinda of rolled his eyes and then smiled and said sure... Ill sign it.

On the page in the front he signed. Don't believe everything you read... It was a lot worse..

Im assuming that Dave and him spat a lot and the matches that he did get in were not really the outcome of what was in the book. At least that what I gathered from what he wrote and his body language.

Overall he wasnt a bad guy but he did a lot of things to a lot of players that was not ok and down right criminal. So that being said im not a fan anymore.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
What pool player/ road player book isn't?
Every single one I've ever read is the same......."I banged all the hottest women"......"Every 6ft 8in gorilla that got in my face, I knocked out with one punch"......"I went to every town - never lost a big match - only ever lost when I meant to to set up a big score"......"(insert legendary pool player's name here) never beat me"

I ducked every top player, had no interest in girls and made sure to befriend the biggest guy in the joint. :smile:

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
In my knowing of Tony from when I played in the USPPA 12 or so years ago, he was a real decent and likable guy. I respected that he was doing something to promote pool. It sounds like things have not gone well and he has retreated from the pool scene altogether. He'd be great in some kind of sales business.

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this is why I love the Kid Delicious story, the guy was actually a world beater and in a manner of speaking did achieve a from of number one ranking at one point via the UPA

the story also speaks to his weaknesses and insecurities and also very little bravado regarding his road partner too

best road book ever by far

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
this is why I love the Kid Delicious story, the guy was actually a world beater and in a manner of speaking did achieve a from of number one ranking at one point via the UPA

the story also speaks to his weaknesses and insecurities and also very little bravado regarding his road partner too

Jon Wertheim is a world class writer, not a hack like me. :smile:

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That was a good read for sure. I'd read it again but the guy I loaned it to never returned it!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I've read a lot of books since i was a child....and I own a few thousand books.

If I eat at a restaurant and get a bad meal, I don't complain,,,I just don't go back.

I bought your second book.....waiting for the third.

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I actually enjoyed your writing style and thought your book was well written

I much prefer though reading about world beaters, Ronnie, Buddy, Kid

Mosconi's bio is still in my head decades after the first read

Hes a thief! Hopefully he doesn't pop up around Northern California. Just another deadbeat pool player. Just like 85% of the other pool players

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hes a thief! Hopefully he doesn't pop up around Northern California. Just another deadbeat pool player. Just like 85% of the other pool players

I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes governor of California at some point.

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
... There were a few players (like maybe two) within 50 miles of Monterey that could give him the 8 (Billy Arguero in San Francisco and a Mexican player out of Salinas who only gambled and never ventured further than Santa Cruz--don't remember his name, but he was a stone cold killer). ....

By chance, was this Mexican player, Tony Valadez?

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Don't know... Could've been, but I seem to remember his first name as Joe or Jose. He was in his mid 20s, stocky with feathered medium length hair, usually wore a ball cap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Alf Taylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr Ozone. I'm sorry you have been disappointed in the pool books you have read. Email me your address at alf@alftaylor.com and I'll send you a book that isn't like anything that you said...or read.
Best regards. Alf

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't know... Could've been, but I seem to remember his first name as Joe or Jose. He was in his mid 20s, stocky with feathered medium length hair, usually wore a ball cap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

That wouldn't have been Tony. I'm pretty sure I know who you're talking about but can't remember his name either. Good player but I probably never saw his best game. When I knew him, there were still a half dozen guys in the area who could out shoot him.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find it interesting that the article was obviously written from Tony's perspective. He was never any kind of owner of the USPPA. When the original owner got sick and eventually passed away, Tony tried to convince the widow to sell it to him. That never happened, and he simply stole the funds that had been collected for that USPPA sanctioned tournament. The players, to my knowledge, have never been paid. You can win a judgement in court, but that doesn't mean you'll get paid.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find it interesting that the article was obviously written from Tony's perspective. He was never any kind of owner of the USPPA. When the original owner got sick and eventually passed away, Tony tried to convince the widow to sell it to him. That never happened, and he simply stole the funds that had been collected for that USPPA sanctioned tournament. The players, to my knowledge, have never been paid. You can win a judgement in court, but that doesn't mean you'll get paid.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

No, but sometimes they get the justice they deserve, like two .22's behind the ear.

Ken