What is the best cue you ever played pool with?

9 ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not technically a playing cue but my Carolina custom break cue is the dogs nuts for me, so much so at the beginning of 2013 I will be ordering an identical playing cue from CC.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best cue

The Gus Szamboti cue I have is the best playing cue I have ever played with. It has 2 original full sized (13mm and over 4.0 oz each) shafts. Just a truly incredible cue, that deserves to played by a champion. I have allowed many people the opportunity to "hit some" with it and they immediately look up and smile. :smile:

But frankly all of my current cues are great players. The ones that arent are moved down the road.

I have only played with one Balabushka cue, and while it hit fabulous, well balanced, etc the butt of the cue was too big in diameter for me.

The most consistant cue maker that I have bought cues from that were all great playing cues is Rick Howard.

Hope this helps.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
My 1991 GEM (Gary Medlin) Szam tribute...19 oz, 59 inches (split evenly between butt/shafts) 12mm shafts, Triangle medium tips. VERY whippy action, I just aimed center ball and thought about English--and it magically happened. All my personal records were set with it. Close second (a tie, really) is my current shooter, my Carolina Custom (60 inches, evenly split, with a Gulyassy SPTX shaft, 20 oz)...it's the bomb.:grin:

DavidMNienow

Glamour Dave
Silver Member
My Philippi cue has been my primary player for nearly 15 years. The feel of the hit I get from the cue is almost magical. The next closest cue is my McDermott Dubliner COM which I use for all my 9-ball playing. Both cues are 18.75 & 18.5 oz and the shafts are each around 12.75 mm in size.

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member
This one. Mr. Madden, one and only. 19.3 oz. brass joint. 12.8 shaft. Slightly rear wtd. Emerald tip.

Attachments

• Madden 011.jpg
    Madden 011.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 349
  • Madden 010.jpg
    Madden 010.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 353
  • Madden 001.jpg
    Madden 001.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 341
  • Tiger&Super Pro 002.jpg
    Tiger&Super Pro 002.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:

tommygunn78

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
best cue

My 85 ebony southwest but not far behind would be about 50 other southwests I have owned.

jnf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Original Joss color of Money (1986) with a tip harder than concrete. It clanks when it hits the CB and I play better with it than any other cue. Complete trust in it.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kikel

My new 2012 16 point Kikel camatillo and ivory cue. Wrapless 59" piloted ivory joint it is sensational!

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
It was, maybe still is, a 17 oz. Brunwick house cue that I learned with when my Dad & I bought a Sport King out of the Rikshaw Lounge on Hickory when I was 13 yrs. old. When I started playing in league I burned my signature on the butt just above the bumper. After carrying it for a while as a one pc. cue, someone told me of a local cue maker named Michael, that called his cues Mikal, could make it into a 2 pc. I think I paid $30 for him to do it. I still seem to play my best with it even though it seems to be a bit light after playing with other cues. I now have an Adam Balabushka that I love as well with the McD i2 shaft on it & the weight bolt removed. All I really need is a good tip but these two(2) bring a bit of comfort & better feel to me than most.

Regards,

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know if it was me or the cue at the time, but I think my 4-point Richard Black cue that I had him make for me in 1978 had to be one of the best cues I've played with. I wish I never would have gotten rid of it. I had Richard make me another cue in 1982 and it didn't play anywhere near as good as the first one.

jschaefer

Registered
i'm really enjoying this thread. the cues that i was impressed with:

bert schrager, BE one peice butt, cork wrap, ivory joint

balabushka, on its way to japan, ran a rack of 9 like an old friend

40th anniv. ginacue, same as above, felt great and a beauty

schrager, BE, micarta joint, my playing cue for 30 yrs.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i'm really enjoying this thread. the cues that i was impressed with:

bert schrager, BE one peice butt, cork wrap, ivory joint

balabushka, on its way to japan, ran a rack of 9 like an old friend

40th anniv. ginacue, same as above, felt great and a beauty

schrager, BE, micarta joint, my playing cue for 30 yrs.

I am glad you like this thread. Thanks for your post.
Best Regards,
Lock N Load.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tough choice

I have two cues that reach potential "best ever" status. I feel fortunate every time I play with them. I have not seen a cue that I would trade for either of these beasts, regardless of price.

I have become very attached to a Szamboti (59.5", 20.4 oz., '86-'88 Gus butt, '06 Barry shaft, steel joint, Schick taper, Moori III Quick tip). I have owned it since 2006.

But I still need to choose a '93 Bill Schick (57.5", 19.5 oz., 19.75" balance, steel joint, Schick taper, 13.15 mm, Talisman WB Hard tip). I have owned it since 1997. The shafts I play with were made for me by Bill in '97. If there was ever a 'point-and-shoot' cue, this is it.

Last edited:

Danny 314

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always liked Schon and predator cues, but the first time I played with a Tim Scruggs 20 years ago, it changed my life. It was a beat up 80s TS that a hustler at the poolhall used as a break cue. We never gambled each other, but he would let me shoot with it. When he got sick, he sold it to me for $500. I still have it today, refinished with a leather wrap.

I collect cues now. I prefer Tim Scruggs over the other cues in my collection.

I recently bought a Dayton sneaky pete butt and had Woody Woodworth make a shaft for it. He put a hard tip on it and I'm used to medium tips. I'm loving the hit of this cue. It's giving my Scruggs a run for its money.