What is the cheapest pool credential?

RussPrince

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since I'm thinking of ideas, I like the idea of providing Classes which contain 3 or more hours of instruction each. I'm sure you could come up with a bunch of Classes each with their own curriculum. Maybe $100 a class is a good price? Maybe the price depends on the number of total hours or level of experience that is involved... Just like in school each class could have a number of credits associated with it so graduation levels could be given out based on credits.

Anyways just ideas. Keeping them interested and involved is the main thing. If they are enthusiastic and invested in the concept it could work well.

Last edited:
Ok. What I said was that he wanted cheap and cheap to hold credentials. The guy wrote a book on pool for f... sake. Why would he want something like that, then. I wasn't referring to any coaching credentials in particular. I also said that if he wanted knowledge he should take a coaching course, but you conveniently forgot about that part. I merely stated that some meaningless cheap credentials, taken for the sole reason of having them, is worthless. If you want to immerse yourself in the game and get the best, most up to date knowledge there is, it probably won't be as cheap or quick....

And yes I have taken lessons. Snooker lessons from a recognized, high level instructor. He had both ability himself and a long list of a-list players as clients. I'll guarantee you it was not a 1 day course to get his credentials... Plus he taught me something I didn't know and somethings I couldn't do at the time. He could even demonstrate these shots himself. On the first try...

The point I was trying to make was that in the game of pool, not being very organized etc. His effort might be better spent aquiring knowledge and getting a good reputation, rather than take some cheap crash course merely for the credentials.

I share your views on the value of a repeatable stroke.

Did your snooker instructor advise you to bend over enough to get your chin on the cue? If so, did you find it helpful?

RussPrince

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What you're saying may be good for business but not for the students & I disagree with that approach unless I read wrong.

I good teacher should get a student along as fast as the student can take it & if that is one lesson then so be it.

A student should not be milked for their money.

If I read you wrong then I apologize.

Best 2 You & All,
Rick

Yes and no. I don't really mean to milk people for money (although that is a fairly common business model), but you don't really want to show them the door too fast either. I'm more talking about not giving people more information they can handle. There's 1000's of things that can be shown to people that will keep them fascinated about the game. Just make sure you're not pushing them too fast. If you want repeat customers you'll want them to feel comfortable coming back even if they haven't practiced or may not feel "ready" for the next lesson. Lessons should go at their pace or be rigidly structured to show them information at their skill level over a period of time without them having to feel "ready" for the next lesson.

Last edited:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I understood

Yes and no. I don't really mean to milk people for money (although that is a fairly common business model), but you don't really want to show them the door too fast either. I'm more talking about not giving people more information they can handle. There's 1000's of things that can be shown to people that will keep them fascinated about the game. Just make sure you're not pushing them too fast. If you want repeat customers you'll want them to feel comfortable coming back even if they haven't practiced or may not feel "ready" for the next lesson. Lessons should go at their pace or be rigidly structured to show them information at their skill level over a period of time without them having to feel "ready" for the next lesson.

I understood you. There is a local fellow here that just talks way too much at times not always but I can tell when he's given them too much, they are usually red faced from all the listening and not enough playing. A player can only take in so much.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RussPrince...Just FYI, Allison is a PBIA Advanced level instructor. She came through our pool school to get a good grounded approach to teaching, and to earn her "credentials"...not that she needed them. :D

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

. I had no problem spending 1K on a weekend lesson with Allison Fisher. Don't know or care is she has any "credentials". Probably never would have heard of them if she does.

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't most instructors play pool? Not asking some old dude to do a flip or anything but if he is going to teach me how to play pool, than yeah I think he should be pretty good. I understand just because your good at pool, it doesnt mean you would be a good instructor. I do think I true instructor should be good at pool. Otherwise, how can you teach what you haven't learned.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree to a point. A good instructor needs to be able to demonstrate basic principles, have good communication skills, be patient, and be able to vary his/her instruction to different kinds of learning students (we have several learning styles). They do not have to be able to beat the 9 ball ghost consistently to be a good teacher...but they should be able to play at a reasonable level.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Don't most instructors play pool? Not asking some old dude to do a flip or anything but if he is going to teach me how to play pool, than yeah I think he should be pretty good. I understand just because your good at pool, it doesnt mean you would be a good instructor. I do think I true instructor should be good at pool. Otherwise, how can you teach what you haven't learned.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think being a "nit" is the easiest to get.
Seems like most people have this credential these days.

I'm a "nit'" so there ya go. :)

SilverCue

Sir Raksalot
Silver Member
There is a local money player that does one on one customized instruction for $25 plus table time.

His only two qualifications are:
1. Being one of the best money players around the area.
2. Guaranteed improvement or money back minus table time.

He starts off with a skills test to set a baseline and figure out what needs improvements.

I've seen his results and happy customers but I still wouldn't take lessons from him because our personalities clash :)

RussPrince

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RussPrince...Just FYI, Allison is a PBIA Advanced level instructor. She came through our pool school to get a good grounded approach to teaching, and to earn her "credentials"...not that she needed them. :D

Scott Lee

Then I was correct! (never heard of that)

RussPrince

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

My first teacher was a book by Robert Byrnes. Not Robert Byrnes himself mind you it was his book that was teaching me. And let me tell you that book was awful at playing pool. I mean it could barley even hold the cue. Crazy

cuejoey

25 mm chain guns matter
Silver Member
A person can take all the courses there are but if that person doesn't have the personality to teach then it would be somewhat meaningless...Evaluate yourself and be honest about it...

DJ14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BEST players don't always make GOOD teachers, and GREAT teachers aren't always GOOD players.

The devil is in the details. The skills (details) in teaching relate to playing, but are largely different when considered as a whole.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Teaching is a skill

BEST players don't always make GOOD teachers, and GREAT teachers aren't always GOOD players.

The devil is in the details. The skills (details) in teaching relate to playing, but are largely different when considered as a whole.

Having the drive to find those little tweaks to help all the different types of people, that's a definite skill. Not for just anyone that's for sure.