What Is Up With Master Chalk?

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou -

I use "pre-flag" Master chalk and I find it is excellent and probably the chalk you remember. Over the years, folks have said there is no difference, but I have too much experience to believe it.

Use some of this "pre-flag" Masters and then tell me if you have the same issue.

Best of rolls,

Ken

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've recently started practicing again which means I'm in the pool room for a couple of hours. Since I've been back, I notice that after a session, my bridge hand is much, much dirtier -- almost black -- than ever before in that room. I was blaming a lack of vacuuming. I think I better blame the chalk. They use Master. Other players have remarked on the change. I chalk with my grip hand.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I've recently started practicing again which means I'm in the pool room for a couple of hours. Since I've been back, I notice that after a session, my bridge hand is much, much dirtier -- almost black -- than ever before in that room. I was blaming a lack of vacuuming. I think I better blame the chalk. They use Master. Other players have remarked on the change. I chalk with my grip hand.
If that's the case, I think you're dragging your bridge hand back over the cloth after taking a shot. I've known others that had that habit as well, and they ended up with a chalked-up bridge hand, and very dirty shafts in no time. This is, if you're being honest about chalking with the other hand.

I can play for hours and have no chalk on my hand. Either hand. We'll get to the bottom of this. Or rather, the hand.

All the best,
WW

dquarasr

Registered
I also chalk before every shot as part of my PSR so I have to wonder how long something like Taom would last me -- two cubes almost equal the price of a gross of Master.

Lou Figueroa
I tried V10. Amazing stuff. CB stays clean. Cloth stays clean. I can shoot a whole rack without re-chalking. My copy is months and months old and it doesn’t look like it’s been used.

I changed my PSR: instead of chalking every shot I look at the tip and chalk if needed.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I tried V10. Amazing stuff. CB stays clean. Cloth stays clean. I can shoot a whole rack without re-chalking. My copy is months and months old and it doesn’t look like it’s been used.

I changed my PSR: instead of chalking every shot I look at the tip and chalk if needed.
Can't help but agree with this. Actually, with any good chalk, I don't chalk up more than once a rack. You don't need to do it every shot, that's a myth. Save the chalk, save the cloth, and save your hands.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou -

I use "pre-flag" Master chalk and I find it is excellent and probably the chalk you remember. Over the years, folks have said there is no difference, but I have too much experience to believe it.

Use some of this "pre-flag" Masters and then tell me if you have the same issue.

Best of rolls,

Ken

Ken, I've played with the pre-flag and post-flag and up until this last box of chalk all was good.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It's starting to sound like a change in the manufacturing process.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm an old dog and have been working on my PSR for a looooooong time.

Lou Figueroa
so that
ain't changing

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Right.

So here's the chalk I have. On the left is a one year old cube and on the right the chalk I just received. Besides a slight difference in color, and depth of hole, the obvious difference is the amount of chalk on the wrappers straight out of the box.

Lou Figueroa
I've ran into Masters doing that before too. It was about a year ago when I first noticed it. It makes your hand look very dark blue, almost a black shade to it. I don't know what causes it but I've had the exact thing happen. I was told by the resident experts that I didn't know how to chalk. You're lucky they haven't started telling you not to drill your chalk yet.

It's nothing to do with application, something is off with the chalk. Whenever I see this masters that seems to be darker, it's shit. Is it wet? Is it a bad batch? Who knows... but it's not worth keeping and don't donate it to your local hangout or the cloth will get 3 years of chalk build up in few months.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's starting to sound like a change in the manufacturing process.

Lou Figueroa
Or, are others also buying counterfeit? Millions use Amazon (which has a reputation of not policing knock-offs) so it is plausible.

I play in a monthly tournament in a local room. The room owner is pretty frugal. I get blue hand relatively easy which usually requires I wash my hands a couple times more than usual over the course of the event; Blue Masters, very dirty tables. I use new Blue Masters at home, clean table, no Smurf hands.

New formula? Different raw material? Counterfeit? Where's Dr. Dave when you need him?!

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been a fan Master for years and have had no interest in all the newer chalks.

For quite a while now I have bought the occasional box and take a few new pieces with me to the pool hall or tournament in a pouch. Very recently I bought another box. The first thing I noticed about the chalk cubes in this new box was that the holes in the chalk were drilled/formed a bit deeper than previously. No biggie. But now, having gone though over a dozen pieces, I can tell that, at least from the box I got, the chalk is a different, *much* softer formulation. I mean, I could probably go through a cube of this newer chalk in one extended session of four to six hours.

And my hands.

After just a couple of hours, my chalking hand is blue -- really blue. If I play for four hours or longer, we're talking Smurf hand. I can't imagine how much chalk is landing on the cloth. Anyone else?

Lou Figueroa
two hours play
Dang

stewie

@lfigueroa this conversation here led me into buying a Taom Pyro and test it. It is much cleaner, on your hand as well as on the balls - chalking like a snooker pro, now ;-)

It's at a premium, but if it also lasts longer, as everybody is saying, it might make you a happier -> worth it.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Never had this much residue before -- gotta be softer.

Lou Figueroa
Being targeted - even through the mail is nothing new lou, a true scenario could be that someone who works with tweeten was also viewing the legends event - when they were redirected to their smart device - upon loss of facebook feed. Nothing to tweeten home bout - jmho.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@lfigueroa this conversation here led me into buying a Taom Pyro and test it. It is much cleaner, on your hand as well as on the balls - chalking like a snooker pro, now ;-)

It's at a premium, but if it also lasts longer, as everybody is saying, it might make you a happier -> worth it.

Might have to break down.

Lou Figueroa
arrrrgh

NobodySpecial

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been a fan Master for years and have had no interest in all the newer chalks.

For quite a while now I have bought the occasional box and take a few new pieces with me to the pool hall or tournament in a pouch. Very recently I bought another box. The first thing I noticed about the chalk cubes in this new box was that the holes in the chalk were drilled/formed a bit deeper than previously. No biggie. But now, having gone though over a dozen pieces, I can tell that, at least from the box I got, the chalk is a different, *much* softer formulation. I mean, I could probably go through a cube of this newer chalk in one extended session of four to six hours.

And my hands.

After just a couple of hours, my chalking hand is blue -- really blue. If I play for four hours or longer, we're talking Smurf hand. I can't imagine how much chalk is landing on the cloth. Anyone else?

Lou Figueroa
two hours play
Several years ago I switched to triangle chalk, and to my surprise I felt like it played more like the pre-flag Master than the post-flag Master did. It seemed grippier, as if that's a real word.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
i stopped years ago holding the chalk inside my hand and rubbing the tip hard. while holding the stick horizontally. it gets your hands dirty.
instead i hold the chalk with two or three fingers like im holding a "pencil" (you know those yellow things with lead in them used for writing) and stroke it across the tip. holding the stick more vertical. hardly any chalk on my hands.

and i wish they would make the chalk without that concave hole in it. makes it harder to chalk your cue.