What kind of REAL career opportunities are there in the billiard industry.

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
I have a passion for billiards, and would love to work in the industry. That being said what REAL opportunities are there for a person to make $40k give or take? I couldn't really think of one in my geographical area, but nationally there has to be something for a person with a deep passion for the billiard world to make a living.

This is what I came up with.

Table Mechanic
League Operator
Custom Cue or Case maker
Pro Pool Player <<<Don't have the talent or drive to be away from my family that much.

P.S. I'm looking to change careers, and I'm more curious than anything else. I have a ton of sales experience, not a lot of billiard industry experience.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As someone who works in the specialty sports industry (cycling) I would say your best bet is working for one of the bigger companies in the business. Something like Brunswick, Diamond, McDermott, Viking, etc. Comparatively I believe these are relatively small compared to the cycling industry but I would guess that is where the consistent living wage type salaries are likely to be found.

I'm sure there are other ways to go, guessing a really goo table mechanic in a large metro area can make a solid living, but it's more of a gamble to go it on your own or with the small business and you're less likely to get the benefits you'd receive with a larger company.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a passion for billiards, and would love to work in the industry. That being said what REAL opportunities are there for a person to make $40k give or take? I couldn't really think of one in my geographical area, but nationally there has to be something for a person with a deep passion for the billiard world to make a living.

Table Mechanic
League Operator
Custom Cue or Case maker
Pro Pool Player <<<Don't have the talent or drive to be away from my family that much.

P.S. I'm looking to change careers, and I'm more curious than anything else. I have a ton of sales experience, not a lot of billiard industry experience.
Outside of working for a large established company in the industry, league operator is the only option you listed that is steady income. And even at that, you have to bust ass to get new players and promote the league. Its a rough road. I started making cases for extra income, and have yet to put a penny of it in my pocket after a year of making them. Every dollar has been put back into tools and materials etc. At some point I hope to turn a profit, but it hasnt happened yet. To make any real money manufacturing something, you need to be able to mass produce, and or have something that is easy/cheap to make for the cost sold. Cues and cases are neither, unless you have a production shop, or low standards.
Hope this makes sense
Chuck

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Table Mechanic
League Operator
Custom Cue or Case maker

The error in your thinking is, you assume because you like to play, that you would enjoy any of those jobs. It is the mistake many people make. They think since they like to play pool they would like to own a pool room or make cues. Then they discover they are actually just jobs and can ruin any love they had for pool. It is easy to stop loving something once it is your job.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've looked into this a bit and I think its a bit of a fragmented market. There are opportunities out there, but I believe most do it for the love of the game more than financial reasons. Not sure how much room owners make but its probably up there. I hope pbia instructors are doing well. They do a lot for those who are serious about the game

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I agree with macguy here. Some of the best career advice I ever received was when I considered a career in the boating industry because I loved sailing. One of the top dealers in the business told me not to get in the business if I wanted to keep loving sailing. He was right. A friend of mine got in the boating business anyway, and within two years he didn't want to be anywhere around a boat in his free time. When you're "in the business" you have to put up with all the crap, politics, etc. of the industry...and it just turns you off.

Someone else mentioned room owners making a good living: I guess that's why so many rooms have closed. The owners couldn't figure out what to do with all that money coming in.

Pool is a shrinking industry. That's never a fun place to be. It's like working at a company that lays off more people every quarter.

Last edited:

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
The error in your thinking is, you assume because you like to play, that you would enjoy any of those jobs. It is the mistake many people make. They think since they like to play pool they would like to own a pool room or make cues. Then they discover they are actually just jobs and can ruin any love they had for pool. It is easy to stop loving something once it is your job.

I have cue maker, case maker, table mechanic, and league operator friends. I fully understand what they each do, and have looked at them extensively. I think League operator looks fun for my area. We have a ton of players here, and the pain would be worth the reward I think. It definitely has ups and downs, but are easy to deal with to be around the game on multiple levels.

I don't think there's a career for me with out moving. I would love to go work for CSI or Diamond. If the pay is enough to support my family, it would be awesome to be able to help our game grow!!!

Regardless, I need to figure out what I wanna be when I grow up...

Thanks for the input guys!!!

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
Well, my name is also "Justin" and I'm somewhat in the same spot you are. Somewhat.

I find myself without a job right now. Moved to a new area for more opportunity, but haven't found anything yet.

I'm 39, single, and with no kids. College educated, with a wide variety of job experience from manual labor to management and medical billing.

My goal is to simply make $40K/year, as well. I don't have many bills at all and I can easily survive on that.

I've thought about buying a NAPA territory and doing the LO thing.

I have a great friend, who is a cuemaker.....but like an uncle to me. He's talked about training me to do it and then selling the business to me, so I can carry it on.

Honestly, if you can think of any billiards partnership venture, I'd be willing to listen.

wambamcam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About 5 years ago I almost decided to open a billiards store- selling tables, cues, and game room equipment. After extensive planning and almost pulling the trigger, my wife talked me out of it.

Seeing how the economy nose dived in the recent years, it was perhaps the best decision i made in listening to her. Most likely be bankrupt and divorced if I was stupid enough to follow through on my own choice.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
My name is also Justin and I may be able to give a little insight.

Based on my experience and knowledge of the industry here in the US it is a very very difficult way to make a living for anyone. What some people call "Big companies" in the industry really are not. They are a small handful of three or four key people and some hourly labor/contractors.

The potential to walk in somewhere making 40K is limited to none outside of perhaps as a manager or something like that in a successful room. I can not speak to league operators but I know some do well. I can tell you that since I started working full time in pool in 2007 I have never once came close to making $40,000 in a year. I have got to do a lot of cool shit though and didnt have to punch a clock to do it. There are trade offs in everything.

The only other possibility I can see would be maybe finding a job with one of the bigger retailers but I suspect they are similar to the manufactures in that its a few key people and the rest $10-$12 an hour types. If you have the skills to be one of those key people then it may be the move.

My suggestion would be if you try to do anything in pool do it on the amateur side. There is nothing to be had on the pro side.

I will end with a story. I got into shooting pistol competitions pretty deep in the late 90's and went to a lot of bigger matches in the US. One of the guys I traveled with was an engineer. We were talking about the pro shooters and I was going on about how cool it would be to only have to shoot for a living and do all the traveling and blah blah blah. He just said "Not me. I love shooting too much to ever make it my job."

There was a great deal of wisdom in what he said. Thats not to say don't go for something you want to do but when you do it for a living it will change your perception of the thing you started out loving. All the above said if theres anything I can do to help just let me know. The industry needs good motivated people.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Table Mechanic
League Operator
Custom Cue or Case maker

This is an excellent subject for the discussion and one which deserves an answer.

The pool industry is a tough one in America because pool just ain't considered a sport the way basketball, football, baseball, golf, tennis, et cetera, are. Pool is regarded as a recreational game in most circles. The only people who know about professional pool in the United States is people like us, forum readers and hardcore pool aficionados. ;)

I have always believed that if you want something bad enough, then the power of positive thinking is needed, and you must have a strong drive to weather the storm to get to your goal. $40,000 is a reasonable goal and doable in the pool world as it exists today if -- and this is a big "if" -- you are willing to devote the effort to get there.

First, you must decide how your existing skill set, expertise, and talent can help you. What do you bring to the table? You need to capitalize on this. I cannot stress enough how important good communication is, to include business etiquette and customer service.

With the advent of the Internet, the sky is the limit on where to go. If you want to hook up with a company or an existing pool entity, it may be slim pickings, so maybe you can find your own niche in the industry and go from there. Some people have had success with clothing lines. Look at Hustlin Co. of USA, and there are others.

Think long and hard about what you have to offer and then go from there. Create a business plan with multiple steps needed to reach the end goal. You'd be surprised how the power of positive thinking and will power can bring you rewards.

Don't ever diss anyone in public. Remain positive and amiable. You may notice that there are some industry members in the pool world who don't hang out on AzBilliards Discussion Forum too often. Sometimes it's better not to roll around in the mud with the others, if you catch my drift. :grin-square:

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go to college, get a PhD in Mechanical Engineering, do pool-physics research like David Alciatore (Dr. Dave). Probably $70k+.

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have cue maker, case maker, table mechanic, and league operator friends. I fully understand what they each do, and have looked at them extensively. I think League operator looks fun for my area. We have a ton of players here, and the pain would be worth the reward I think. It definitely has ups and downs, but are easy to deal with to be around the game on multiple levels.

I don't think there's a career for me with out moving. I would love to go work for CSI or Diamond. If the pay is enough to support my family, it would be awesome to be able to help our game grow!!!

Regardless, I need to figure out what I wanna be when I grow up...

Thanks for the input guys!!!

The best way to start is to buy a book titled "What Color is Your Parachute." You can get it in any good book store or at Amazon. If you read through and complete the self study assignments you may or may not wind up in pool and billiards but you will definitely find yourself where you will have a satisfying career.

If you attended one of the many workshops for this type of thing it would cost over a thousand dollars and would not be as beneficial as working through the book.

First you need to learn about yourself, your strengths and weaknesses. Then you need to learn about what your real preferences are. Next you need to learn about how to enter the career you want with very real ideas for how to go about doing each of these things,

This book will change your life for the better and you will never regret it.

Here is one for instance. Are you better at working alone or with others? You know the answer to this because you have been doing it since you were 15 years old. The book will show you how you know the answer and how to determine if that is not only what you are good at but if it is what you prefer.

There is a whole series of chapters on how to get the job you want with excellent suggestions for where to start and what to do.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
My name is also Justin and I may be able to give a little insight.

Based on my experience and knowledge of the industry here in the US it is a very very difficult way to make a living for anyone. What some people call "Big companies" in the industry really are not. They are a small handful of three or four key people and some hourly labor/contractors.

The potential to walk in somewhere making 40K is limited to none outside of perhaps as a manager or something like that in a successful room. I can not speak to league operators but I know some do well. I can tell you that since I started working full time in pool in 2007 I have never once came close to making $40,000 in a year. I have got to do a lot of cool shit though and didnt have to punch a clock to do it. There are trade offs in everything.

The only other possibility I can see would be maybe finding a job with one of the bigger retailers but I suspect they are similar to the manufactures in that its a few key people and the rest $10-$12 an hour types. If you have the skills to be one of those key people then it may be the move.

My suggestion would be if you try to do anything in pool do it on the amateur side. There is nothing to be had on the pro side.

I will end with a story. I got into shooting pistol competitions pretty deep in the late 90's and went to a lot of bigger matches in the US. One of the guys I traveled with was an engineer. We were talking about the pro shooters and I was going on about how cool it would be to only have to shoot for a living and do all the traveling and blah blah blah. He just said "Not me. I love shooting too much to ever make it my job."

There was a great deal of wisdom in what he said. Thats not to say don't go for something you want to do but when you do it for a living it will change your perception of the thing you started out loving. All the above said if theres anything I can do to help just let me know. The industry needs good motivated people.

Bravo, Bravo!

Excellent post! As much as you contributed to the sport/industry it speaks volumes that since 2007 you NEVER made $40,000 a year! In my opinion you EARNED more than that. I am just sorry you never got the support you and your TAR venture deserved from the industry. Their loss and ours unfortunately!

KD

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of the best scientific literature in this area (vocational development) leads to the idea that the most successful people (using various definitions) do what they love to do.

If you love it you will be better at it than others because you will spend more time, effort, and concentration. This leads to an exceptional individual and the world seeks quality not quantity when hiring in a career path.

Some people have been working in dead end careers due to the circumstances of life. It is never too late to change if you want to control your own destiny.

The trick, if there is one, is to find what you truly love and what you are good at.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of the best scientific literature in this area (vocational development) leads to the idea that the most successful people (using various definitions) do what they love to do.

If you love it you will be better at it than others because you will spend more time, effort, and concentration. This leads to an exceptional individual and the world seeks quality not quantity when hiring in a career path.

Some people have been working in dead end careers due to the circumstances of life. It is never too late to change if you want to control your own destiny.

The trick, if there is one, is to find what you truly love and what you are good at.

And if you are fortunate to find both, what is highlighted in red, you will enjoy life to the fullest. It's sometimes easy to do one or the other, but both is truly ideal. :)

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I was one of the fortunate ones in life who had the career they wanted. To this day I like to tell people that I never took a job where I got a raise in pay. Seems I always had to take a cut in pay to get the job I wanted and then worked my way up the ladder.

Here is a link to the book. Read the description and reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/What-Color-Your-Parachute-2014/dp/1607743620

Last edited:

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
Go to college, get a PhD in Mechanical Engineering, do pool-physics research like David Alciatore (Dr. Dave). Probably $70k+.

I would be completely shocked if Dr Dave did not make well more than that figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk