what kind of tool is needed for this?

beerpressure

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These bolts hold the rails on a really old brunswick madison. We had to improvise in getting them out. But I wondered what the proper tool is.

Attachments

• IMG_20160522_105949.jpg
    IMG_20160522_105949.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 626

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
The tool has 2 pins on the end. You can make a tool by drilling 2 holes in a piece of flat steel and drive in snug fitting steel dowels.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
This might work, they should be available at your local NAPA or other auto parts store for $10 or less. Its a rear disc brake caliper piston retracting tool.

caliper tool.jpg

JC

Coos Cues
I took a chinese 12mm socket (or whatever size has the correct diameter for your bolts) and ground slots out on two sides leaving pins across from each other. Took about two minutes to build and it works fine and you can already drive it with a 3/8 ratchet or speed handle.

JC

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
What temp do you need to adjust the span??

Flip it around, it has several different sizes.
My piston re tractor kit has several sizes, from 3/4" to around 2" but I am guessing he doesnt want to spend a few hundred bucks.
I know the tool I suggested is not the best tool for the job but if the span is correct its the proper tool, its cheap, and readily available to where he should have it in his hands in less than an hour. The 3-5 business day wait is usually the worst part when trying to do something, it sounds like he is trying to work on his table today, not next week.

beerpressure

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah we recovered the table but in the future I would like to use the right tool.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

JC

Coos Cues
My piston re tractor kit has several sizes, from 3/4" to around 2" but I am guessing he doesnt want to spend a few hundred bucks.
I know the tool I suggested is not the best tool for the job but if the span is correct its the proper tool, its cheap, and readily available to where he should have it in his hands in less than an hour. The 3-5 business day wait is usually the worst part when trying to do something, it sounds like he is trying to work on his table today, not next week.

That has the right idea but is too large/wide for the application of those table bolts.

JC

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Was just kidding around. But you'd have to be lucky to find a side that would work. If it did it'd be better than the adjustable fork tool mentioned from Classic with a bit brace? The fork tool is easier to find that the bit brace. Also mentioned was a spanner wrench. Adjustable Face Spanner I'd call it and they work too but much slower working and makes my hands ache just thinking about it.

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member
Obviously you are paid by the hour :smile:

JC

I don't know how many antiques you have work on but most of the time you only need the tool to break the bolt loose. Most come out by hand very quickly after the initial loosening with a tool.

JC

Coos Cues
Only one

I owned a Brunswick 20th century which is the only one I have worked on.

I do however own an auto repair business and know very well the lost productivity doing things "by hand" that can be done with a power tool. It adds up to seconds, minutes, hours, weeks and months of wasted time over the course of a career. I know the average person in almost every field has no concept of this but it's very real. Scoff if you like. I have worked my entire life with do it by hand types who are not productive.

JC