What percentage of people are actually 6/7

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Yeah, but that list is just one stab at a rating equivalence chart by one AZ poster (whom I have mucho respect).

The reality is that when I was an SL-9, even with a couple of undefeated seasons, I wasn't an A player on average. But then again, I had to be the 3rd worst APA SL-9 in the universe.

Freddie <~~~ used to be the worst

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We could see their score sheets. They were posted before. There was more info from the older sheets. Anyway, i came to realize that the only ones to watch out for are the 3-4-5s. They have the most wiggle room for sandbagging. 2,7s are almost never sandbaggin'. 6s are more valuable than 7's as there's always an excuse why they arent 7's. If you want a team to go. most have lots of 3,4,6 less 2,5,7. Well thats in my experience.

I see. I have never seen us having access to the other team score sheets, or even our own for that matter. Only win / loss and PA (after enough matches) for each player.

It is actually pretty hard to be a 7, contrary to what many believe.

Sandbagging is 99% the fault of the league players and the LO. If players that know what they are doing are watching the games and marking the innings and the defense shots as they should be, then it would be hard for anyone to sandbag. Sandbagging 2's are very obvious.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I'm a 8 in apa 9 ball, and dead money in most tournaments with good players. Sure, I win one now and then, and win a lot of smaller ones. I think the handicap system really needs to be reworked if I"m a 8.

I'd enjoy playing apa, if they didn't punish you for playing half way decent. Not like I'm a world beater.

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a 8 in apa 9 ball, and dead money in most tournaments with good players. Sure, I win one now and then, and win a lot of smaller ones. I think the handicap system really needs to be reworked if I"m a 8.

I'd enjoy playing apa, if they didn't punish you for playing half way decent. Not like I'm a world beater.

If you never win at your current handicap then you are probably over handicapped.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
If you never win at your current handicap then you are probably over handicapped.

I was winning in league play, did lose 1 match in the last session. I know where I rank in the pool players around this state, and I suspect all of the better players are not playing apa due to how it keeps better players from being able to play. Not talking about league tournaments.

Doesn't really matter much, as I'm not going to play apa anymore. I might play a napa league this winter though.

Last edited:

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do you get to play for the apa national singles tournaments?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AzBilliards Forums mobile app

The way it works in my area you have to win a qualifying board (8 person mini tournament) then win again in the states singles. In the qualifier you play all handicaps usually and in states and Vegas you only play people around your handicap.

My area has 2 singles 'states' every year- one in the fall and one around March. The singles in Vegas are usually in the beginning of May.

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was winning in league play, did lose 1 match in the last session. I know where I rank in the pool players around this state, and I suspect all of the better players are not playing apa due to how it keeps better players from being able to play. Not talking about league tournaments.

Doesn't really matter much, as I'm not going to play apa anymore. I might play a napa league this winter though.

Don't take this the wrong way- I'm not sure you really know what your skill level should be. There is no motivation in regular league play. You usually only see a player's real skill level in tournaments so if you cannot win the same in a handicapped tournament as you do during the course of regular league you are probably over handicapped.

You have to approach regular league play with a certain mentality or you won't ever enjoy it. Play on a team so that you can play in the higher level tournaments. Take the tournaments seriously but don't take the regular pool during the week that seriously or you will become a prime target for sandbaggers.

Don't be 'easy money.'

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The way it works in my area you have to win a qualifying board (8 person mini tournament) then win again in the states singles. In the qualifier you play all handicaps usually and in states and Vegas you only play people around your handicap.

My area has 2 singles 'states' every year- one in the fall and one around March. The singles in Vegas are usually in the beginning of May.

Same here except....we also have a fop gun tournament and the winner is qualified for regional singles.
The top gun tournament is broken into different handicap brackets.

In 8 ball its 2's and 3's. Then 4's and 5's then 6's and 7's. Still play to your handicap race though

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Don't take this the wrong way- I'm not sure you really know what your skill level should be. There is no motivation in regular league play. You usually only see a player's real skill level in tournaments so if you cannot win the same in a handicapped tournament as you do during the course of regular league you are probably over handicapped.

You have to approach regular league play with a certain mentality or you won't ever enjoy it. Play on a team so that you can play in the higher level tournaments. Take the tournaments seriously but don't take the regular pool during the week that seriously or you will become a prime target for sandbaggers.

Don't be 'easy money.'

Nah, I have no desire to stay playing leagues. I play a variety of people, for a variety of wagers, and play in the tournaments within a hour or two drive. Pool is something I play from about december until march, and occasionally in the summer. I've played pool since about 1986, mostly in pool halls. My main concern is finding games that I like at this point, and I have enough to keep me interested.

I may play napa, but that is because I like the people that are playing it here, and it is something to do after work in the winter. Gives me a little cheap practice and seeing some old friends.

And the point i was trying to make is the handicap system is broken if I'm a 8. In my area I'm a lower b player.

Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't if this right or wrong but my lo and I were talking about how the team number should be moved up in 9 ball because of the higher handy cap. It's becoming difficult for me to play. I enjoy playing apa 9 ball but may have to play 8 ball because the number is becoming an issue. He said when this is discussed by the apa there feeling is less then 2% of players are 9's and they're not going to change the rules for that small a number.. again I have no idea how accurate that number is.