What should an average player, looking to improve do when...

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
What should an average player, looking to improve do when they are in a situation they don't know what to do?

In the past I've just hit half ball hit with spin, one way or the other, whichever feels right. I know this isn't the answer, but what should a person do when they don't know what the right answer is?

I feel safety is the answer, but what about those situations where a safety isn't guaranteed?

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
What should an average player, looking to improve do when they are in a situation they don't know what to do?

In the past I've just hit half ball hit with spin, one way or the other, whichever feels right. I know this isn't the answer, but what should a person do when they don't know what the right answer is?

I feel safety is the answer, but what about those situations where a safety isn't guaranteed?

The player needs to have a good understanding/knowledge of their current skill level and current limitations. From that knowledge is where the best decision has to be made. And the best decision is to play whatever shot is most likely going to result in a winning or favorable advantage.

If it feels like a 50/50 choice between offense and defense, then it's usually better to go with the offensive shot. It's all about playing the odds, avoiding low-percentage shots whenever you can.

And, seriously, if the goto aim is guessing at a halfball with spin, I'd download the Poolology book for less than $10 and learn how to recognize whether or not any particular shot is truly a halfball aim or not. Guessing the aim is not a winning option.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
buy shotpad
keep it and a pen in your case
sketch the layout when you sit down
then you can ask better players later what would they do and learn for next time
i am not an instructor

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

as mentioned above if the safe vs shoot is 50/50 conventional wisdom is go down shooting
if your skill level that shooting is 50/50
then try and play safe
best way to improve is to keep working on your skills so you have more options that you can execute
i am not an instructor

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
buy shotpad
keep it and a pen in your case
sketch the layout when you sit down
then you can ask better players later what would they do and learn for next time
i am not an instructor

I love these little pads!

Reactions: bbb

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most players in this situation don't fail because they made the wrong choice. They fail because they executed their choice halfheartedly and tentatively.

Once you make a choice, you have to put all the questions aside and commit to the choice 100 percent, right or wrong. When you give it your all, then you will know whether or not it was the right choice and you can learn for the future. Safe shots aren't always the right answer. Sometimes you have to be aggressive. It depends. But whatever you choose, if you shoot it tentatively, you won't learn anything from the situation, because if you fail, you won't know the reason. Was it because it was the wrong choice, or did you make the right choice but didn't commit to the shot?

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Most players in this situation don't fail because they made the wrong choice. They fail because they executed their choice halfheartedly and tentatively.

Once you make a choice, you have to put all the questions aside and commit to the choice 100 percent, right or wrong. When you give it your all, then you will know whether or not it was the right choice and you can learn for the future. Safe shots aren't always the right answer. Sometimes you have to be aggressive. It depends. But whatever you choose, if you shoot it tentatively, you won't learn anything from the situation, because if you fail, you won't know the reason. Was it because it was the wrong choice, or did you make the right choice but didn't commit to the shot?

From watching dozens of 300 to 500 rated fargo players every week, I believe most do make poor choices. They go for low-percentage shots and impossible position play far too often.

I definitely agree with you though when it comes to being 100% committed to your choice. Nick Faldo (great golfer) was asked about an unbelievable low-percentage shot he pulled off during a round in the open, and he replied.....

"You have to make a decision based upon a realistic assessment of your own weaknesses and the scope for failure. But once you’ve committed to your decision, you have to flick the mental switch and execute the shot as if there was never any doubt that you would nail it.”

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From watching dozens of 300 to 500 rated fargo players every week, I believe most do make poor choices. They go for low-percentage shots and impossible position play far too often.

I definitely agree with you though when it comes to being 100% committed to your choice. Nick Faldo (great golfer) was asked about an unbelievable low-percentage shot he pulled off during a round in the open, and he replied.....

"You have to make a decision based upon a realistic assessment of your own weaknesses and the scope for failure. But once you’ve committed to your decision, you have to flick the mental switch and execute the shot as if there was never any doubt that you would nail it.”
We're talking about a situation where the player admits to not knowing what to do. They're already starting the process with doubt. That's not the same thing as simply making a wrong choice, all the while thinking it's the right choice.

And even with all those wrong choices, as I'm sure you know --- if there's ever a time to make low percentage choices, it's when players are developing their skills --- and heart. One of my favorite sayings --- I think it was tennis champ Arthur Ashe who said it --- "Being a champion means sometimes having to overcome reality."

To me, that means not always following what people say you're supposed to do and what the odds say you should do.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
We're talking about a situation where the player admits to not knowing what to do. They're already starting the process with doubt. That's not the same thing as simply making a wrong choice, all the while thinking it's the right choice.

And even with all those wrong choices, as I'm sure you know --- if there's ever a time to make low percentage choices, it's when players are developing their skills --- and heart. One of my favorite sayings --- I think it was tennis champ Arthur Ashe who said it --- "Being a champion means sometimes having to overcome reality."

To me, that means not always following what people say you're supposed to do and what the odds say you should do.
what a great saying
thanks fran....(y)

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member

Memorize the four basic safety plays that will get you through most challenges:

1. Thin hit to send the cue ball far from the object ball
2. Thick hit for vice versa
3. Half ball hit to control both balls, to roll them toward a nasty bank or etc. for the incoming shooter
4. Pocket a ball while calling safe to leave them poorly