What was your first pool hall?

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my first pool hall was the gangsterest of gangster pool halls. it was the MWR (forgot what that stands for) but basically it was a place for young single marines to kill time. it was in Japan so we always had a steady flow of JMSDF guys and regular japanese civilians coming around to play with is.

the level of skill over there was crazy. there were a lot of guys that play about how i play now (stronger C player) and a lot of the japanese guys that came around could string racks and, to steal a friend of mines saying, "get out like houdini".

the best part about this place was there was no table time! and because everyone that worked there was friends with the guys that came around if you wanted to stay later on the weekend they'd just leave you the key. i spent more than a few weekends there without ever leaving. i got so used to long sessions the first time i had to pay table time in the states it was like 60 bucks

Snake Plisken

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First Pool Hall

My 1'st pool hall was Chris's Billiards on Milwaukee Ave. in Chicago.
At the time 18 various Gold Crowns, now 41. I was a sophmore in h.s, the year was 1985.

Chris's has the cool distinction of being in The Color of Money.
The scene where Vincent Lauria first meets the great Keith McCready (one of the greatest players to ever hold a cue and probably the best personality ever in professional pool) as Grady Seasons.

To this day I am proud of this connection.

-Snake

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Texas Cue Lounge in Timonium MD. Mike Sigel used to play there in the early 80s. It was always cool watching him play there.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
My first real pool hall was Julian's on 14th street in New York City. It was on the second floor, sitting over the Palladium dance club (Madonna used to perform there), with two exits.

Come Dancing by the Kinks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs2kFrGluKs

They put a NYU dorm over this piece of land
Where Trader Joe's now currently stand.
Before that they tore down Julian's Billiard Academy
On the same site that used to be the local Pally
That's where George Mikula used to come and play.
I used to go there and watch on a Saturday.

Come play 8-ball,
All Stuy kids hang out and make a ball.
Why not come play 8-ball, it's only natural?

*skip middle stanza*

*last stanza*
The day they tore down Julians and the Pallly
Incoming NYU freshmen didn't care, or blink an eye.
The day they knocked down the Pally.
Part of my pool childhood died, just died.

Now I'm grown up and playing league at Amsterdam,
And Barouty now runs straight pool where Corner Billiards used to stand.
My cousin's married, with kids and she lives out of state.
Thursday night its my turn to break and run, now it's my opponent turn to wait.
BCA rules lets me get away with things that old house rules never could,
But if I ask to play called pocket 8-ball I wonder if anyone would,

Come play 8-ball,
Come on bangers, have yourself a ball.
Don't be afraid to scratch,
It's only natural.

*Song ends with Ray Davies tears down outdated Mika Shane match poster*

Last edited:

Lazerrus

I LUV CURLY MAPLE!!!!!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mel's Bowl in Alameda, Ca. 6 nine footers in there back in 1985. Not sure how it looks today. From there I went on to California Billiards in San Jose, Executive Billiards in Redwood City, Family Billiards in Fremont, Town & Country billiards in Berkeley, Chalkers in Emeryville, all in Ca. Most of them are gone now I think. Chalkers closed and now is The Broken Rack. Not sure if it's the same owners.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I got my common sense education at the Villa Park Bowl in Villa Park Illinois. Six 9ft GCs covered once a year. Well taken care of tables. That's where I learned Line-Up, 14-1, and 9-Ball. Great greasy hamburgers, approx 16 bowling lanes and 2 softball fields behind the building. 16 inch softbll, no gloves. We lived there. Enough of this rant, time for a cold COORS! :smile:

I played there in the 60's during high school.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Disgusting! Never do that again!

My first real pool hall was Julian's on 14th street in New York City. It was on the second floor, sitting over the Palladium dance club (Madonna used to perform there), with two exits.

Where Trader Joe's now currently stands.
Before that they tore down Julian's Academy
On the same site that used to be the local Pally (Palladium)

Come play 8-ball,
All NYU kids hang out and make a ball.

*skip middle stanza*

*last stanza*
Incoming NYU freshmans didn't care, or blink an eye.

Thursday night its my turn to run out in 9-ball, now it's my opponent turn to wait.
Ball in Hand BCA rules lets me get away with things that old house rules never could,
But if I ask to play called 8-ball I wonder if he would,

Come play 8-ball,
It's only natural.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Where Trader Joe's now currently stands.
Before that they tore down Julian's Academy
On the same site that used to be the local Pally (Palladium)

Come play 8-ball,
All NYU kids hang out and make a ball.

*skip middle stanza*

*last stanza*
Incoming NYU freshmans didn't care, or blink an eye.

Thursday night its my turn to run out in 9-ball, now it's my opponent turn to wait.
Ball in Hand BCA rules lets me get away with things that old house rules never could,
But if I ask to play called 8-ball I wonder if he would,

Come play 8-ball,
It's only natural.

I played in Julian's in the 60's. I walked all the way there from midtown Manhattan ... and back at night by myself. I carried my cue like a rifle. :)
I remember the glass enclosed rooms and the guys playing Three Cushions. I first saw Jimmy Cattrano in there. What a player he was! I met John Stravinsky in there when we were both kids. He hustled me to play Banks. Good luck! :D

billf59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my first pool hall

the first pool hall I ever played in was a small place in Blountsville al called oddes the owner was in a wheel chair got his head beat in for cheating at cards parlised from the waist down the place was dark and dirty five 8 ft brunisweck al ways action my dad was a regular played purty sporty the town closed it down in the seventyies too much cussing could be heard on main street because the door was always open never been another pool hall in town sense I got quiet an eductaion there lol

The Kiss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thomaston Lanes in Thomaston, CT 12 Gold Crown 1s...The only issue was huge windows without shades where the sun would poor in and blind you in the afternoon. I'd go down there with my old man who was a decent player and he showed me the ropes. A few hustlers that came up from Waterbury, CT a decent size city to releave the fish of there cash. Got me hooked @ 82 -83. The real treat was playing one of my uncles who had a real good game, he showed me striaght pool and that remains my best/ favorite game to this day.

I also remember they had a pro shop with Meucci originals i thought they were the coolest sticks going and eventually I bought one with my first summer jobs..

ridinda9

AKA: Sandy Bagger
Silver Member
started playing on our basement table when I was just a wee lad . . .
where I took all my high school buddies' money !
So by the time I was 18 , (the drinking age back then ) I was burning up for some 'real' action .
Lotta the local bars had 1 table , but I can't really call them 'halls'.
The Pavilion Strip club in Budd Lake had 3 (!) barboxes .
And then I went to ( :angel2: angels singing:angel2:) :
Cue Time Billiards in Succasunna .
So many tables , so little for table time !
I don't remember how many tables they had then (1979) , but I'm pretty sure that it wasn't the 18 Gold Crown IV's they advertise now - but it seemed like a felt ocean to a green teenager.
Made a little money there (evil grin) and then the locals took me to Ray Martin's place in Clifton . Lost everything I'd won @ Cue Time , and then some !
Sometime in the mid-late 80's , after I was discharged , someone opened a hall in Hackettstown on Grand Av , second story walk up - had a lot of fun there , made a liitle money , met a bunch of girls from the all-girl college there , but can't remember that place's name to save my life , and I moved out of Jersey soon after that .

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
St. Paul MN

As a young teenager, in January every yr, I used to go up via train with my parents to the National Outdoor speed skating championships where the best outdoor skaters nation wide went every yr. I think it was lake Placid, anyway was hanging out one afternoon with miss teenage america and on my free time went to this pool room on the ground floor/garden level?? not sure but it was HUGE. All I can remember was the whole building being 6-8 stories tall. When I walked into this green jungle, there must of been 50 tables, mostly 9 footers, but I'm sure they have tens and 3 cushion/snooker, you name it. There was a center type counter in the room middle where you'd ck out balls. There were old men/hunchbacked brushing tables, brush in ea hand. This room was possibly bigger than Romines, but pool tables took up every inch of floor space, never did see another room quite like it till Congress Billiards in FL, or Bensingers in Chicago, or Cochrans and the Palace on Market st. in San Fran, I'm sure there are still rooms like this in Canada.

billyjungle

jack russell breeder
Silver Member
first pool hall

Block's Billiards on State st. in Erie,Pa Where I saw the young Paul Schofield pick up a cue for the first time.Six months later I watched him run 100 balls.1967 I think! Now he owns the poolroom where I still practice & play Gold Crown Billiards..........Billy

Cuaba

Livin Large
Silver Member
Northgate Lanes on Henderson Street in Galesburg, IL. Brunswick lanes downstairs and Brunswick Gold Crowns in the upstairs pool room.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Paul,

I actually have Marty's old Viking tube case

Here's a few that I remember:

Varsity 8-Ball-first job in 1967
Celebrity Sports Center-open all night
Family Fun Center-lots of wiseguys
York Billiards
AAA
Golden Cue
Colfax Billiards
Civic Center Billiards
Centennial Billiards
Sheridan Billiards

Several downtown and on South Broadway, Aurora, even Colorado Springs & Boulder.
I can't remember all of the names, but there were a ton of rooms in Denver back in the day.

Peace

Ted

I lived there for 35 years and have been in al these places on many occasions.
I pride myself on a great memory, but you out classed me here.
i could only laugh when you mention Varsity Billiards. They had the most brutal Golf Game in the world and only played for $2 and .25. if you were a stranger everyone in the game fired at your ball on every shot. they thought Bill Skinner was God.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I lived there for 35 years and have been in al these places on many occasions.
I pride myself on a great memory, but you out classed me here.
i could only laugh when you mention Varsity Billiards. They had the most brutal Golf Game in the world and only played for $2 and .25. if you were a stranger everyone in the game fired at your ball on every shot. they thought Bill Skinner was God.

Hey Butch,

Bill Skinner used to win my lunch money playing for .25 a game 9-ball at Varsity.
A few Sunday's ago we played again for .25 a game and I had to buy him a brownie for a dollar.
43-years later, some things never change.
A lot of memories from Varsity 8-ball, Celebrity, and the Family Fun Center.

Peace

Ted

CrossSideLarry

Cross Side Larry
Silver Member
First Pool Hall

My first intro to pool was in a hole in the wall / alley pool room called "Jumbo's", after the owner's nickname. It was in 1955, as a Freshman in HS just one block away. They had three Brunswick eight footers and two pinball machines that "paid off" During school days, they opened at 3:00 PM and closed at 11:00 PM. On weekends, they opened at 10:00 AM and closed at midnight. They did not serve any drinks or food. The big money games were nickel / dime nine ball or dime pill pool. Everyone was pretty much equal in skills as we were all beginners. Jumbo's was in Mt Healthy, a western suburb of Cincinnati, Ohio.

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
My first pool hall was my grade school summer recreation room. It had one table with no legs that sat on two cafateria tables and the most warped banged up cues you could imagine.

Kids lined up about 10-15 deep to play a game....winner stayed on....I still remember the "spaceys" rule....if the cue ball was froze to a rail you could stick the but of your cue between the CB and the rail to create space.....nobody was good enough to luck in more than one ball at a time.

My frind and I always ended up just playing the "checker pool" game...the one with nets in the four corners and red and black checkers. You had to use this short stick to shoot the checkers into the nets.

My first "real" pool room was the Golden 8-Ball in Phoenix....I remember seeing this one guy playing pool in the pit against other players (all the time)......Turns out it was Danny Diliberto playing pretty much all of the top names back then.....

I had no clue who any of them were.

exvoto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first room was The Eight Ball Express in Rapid City South Dakota. Man I really miss that place. Now its called the Break Room. If your ever in the area go check it out.

Cheers,
Wayne