What would you do?

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
Unfortunate accident not your fault. If he's a friend and you feel bad you can chip in some. If he doesn't like that then you can chip in none and he can learn to keep his equipment out from under foot in the future. Asking for $600 is the first clue you're being put together.

A genuine Predator CF shaft split in 2 from a fall of table height at most? I know people like to give Predator stick for their prices but the only times I've seen one of their sticks shatter is from extreme force. In order:
1) apologize
2) laugh at the $600 remark
3) tell him to get a refund on his eBay knockoff.

I'd throw in some red loctite/JB weld for the laugh alone.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A new revo shaft is 500 his was used so it's worth 250 I would offer him 125.00 for my part of the accident. If he has any sense he will know that is fair, if he doesn't, nothing you do will be right.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only an idiot stores his cues like that in the case. I see it all the time and I every single time I wait for the case to fall over so it can smack the shaft and break it.

I'd tell him to pound sand.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Buy him one of these?

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would homeowners liability insurance apply? Doesn't make sense to me that it would, but neither did my brother's kid throwing rocks at another brother's 1969 Roadrunner (before restoration) and breaking the windshield. Insurance company paid for new glass.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Would homeowners liability insurance apply? Doesn't make sense to me that it would, but neither did my brother's kid throwing rocks at another brother's 1969 Roadrunner (before restoration) and breaking the windshield. Insurance company paid for new glass.
If you have you cue collection as a “scheduled”valuable maybe

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't have an answer for you....

I just want to say I never understood why some players stored their sticks half sticking out of their cases. It's a recipe for disaster. One equipment guru in the 2000's at our local room even had a kickstand on his expensive case sat in the middle of the room with expensive cues sticking out. How can someone NOT trip over that contraption, knocking the whole thing to the floor?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would be thinking about a warranty issue. I can understand a shaft splitting in two due to a sudden violent reaction,(like a PRO pool player slamming it violently against a table), but to break from falling and hitting a chair?
$600.00 seems a hefty price
I agree, sounds very strange for a carbon fiber shaft to snap just from falling, even if it hit a chair on the fall. I always make sure to place my 3 cues (valued well over $3K) near my seat where I’m sitting when my opponent is shooting. No disrespect to them but accidents do happen, so if they happen to go sit in that seat right next to my cues while I’m shooting, I might move my cues to another location.

To me it’s just something you always have to be aware of and responsible for, if you are as anal about your cues and keeping them in perfect condition as I am. If anyone is going to accidentally put a ding in one of my cues, I want it to be myself, from my own carelessness.

Last edited:

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His responsibility to keep it out of the playing area. Even for some reason if you thought it was your responsibility, you would only be responsible for the fair value of a used break shaft, never ever a new one. If you were to total somebody's 2015 chevy, they would only get bluebook value of it, not get a new car.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was in the pool hall shooting and my heel of my foot hit the guys case that I was playing against as I was shooting. He was using the case to hold his shooting Predator Revo Break stick and the case was leaning against a flimsy table. The case fell and the shaft of his stick split it 2 pieces when it hit the chair. He feels I should pay him $600 for the broken shaft.

What is the pool etiquette rules that apply to this situation? What would you do?
have you decided what you are going to do?

eg9327

I gently bumped a table last night and someone's cue fell onto the floor. Oh well. I picked it back up and repositioned the table a little. I took better care of his equipment than he did. It was a bar, for chrissake. Case closed.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Throwing rocks at a '69 Roadrunner? :mad:

what needed restoration more, the car or the kid?

Zerksies

I do have my own Cue Holder in my case. I defninately make sure my cues are secure and not going to be knocked over when i use it. But it's not always the case but i prefer to leave my cue on an open table.

Nyquil

I was in the pool hall shooting and my heel of my foot hit the guys case that I was playing against as I was shooting. He was using the case to hold his shooting Predator Revo Break stick and the case was leaning against a flimsy table. The case fell and the shaft of his stick split it 2 pieces when it hit the chair. He feels I should pay him $600 for the broken shaft.

What is the pool etiquette rules that apply to this situation? What would you do?
His shit should have been out of your way and his cue should have been secured. Custom shafts from tier 1 makers rarely cost as much as he is asking. Your call I am surprised it split.

Stickman9

I don't have an answer for you....

I just want to say I never understood why some players stored their sticks half sticking out of their cases. It's a recipe for disaster. One equipment guru in the 2000's at our local room even had a kickstand on his expensive case sat in the middle of the room with expensive cues sticking out. How can someone NOT trip over that contraption, knocking the whole thing to the floor?
I agree. I know people who store their cues like that. It always seemed like an accident waiting to happen. If the pool hall is carpeted, I like to store my cue under the table. I have never had a cue fall from there. Of course, I would still keep an eye on it so it didn't get legs.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member

Put a post on Facebook Open Billiards Market group, ask if anyone has a shaft to fit his cue for sale. Donate whatever amount to him that you feel is appropriate.

Tell him that using a case to hold an assembled cue is not recommended, point to Exhibit A