What'd Shaw say after the Derby?

Badpenguin

We are talking Diamond, too. Everything they do should be topflight. If they made tables like they produce pool tourneys, no one would buy them!
Have you ever tried actually buying a pool table from Diamond? It takes 9 months to a year, if you are lucky. To purchase their ONLY product! I'm not saying the wait wasn't worth it to me, but they could use a little polishing up on their production line.

I'd hate to see DCC go the way of a polished MR or CSI/Predator tournament. It doesn't need to be a ranking event. There is no other tournament like it in the world. I think the technology being used to run it hasn't been updated since the 90's and needs some serious tweaking.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you ever tried actually buying a pool table from Diamond? It takes 9 months to a year, if you are lucky. To purchase their ONLY product! I'm not saying the wait wasn't worth it to me, but they could use a little polishing up on their production line.

I'd hate to see DCC go the way of a polished MR or CSI/Predator tournament. It doesn't need to be a ranking event. There is no other tournament like it in the world. I think the technology being used to run it hasn't been updated since the 90's and needs some serious tweaking.
Its not their production line as much as it is getting supplies from other sources. COVID is still affecting delivery schedules to this day. Diamond makes tables as fast as they always have but if they have to wait on slate,cushions, wood, etc. there's not much they can do. Go take a tour of their shop. Its pretty impressive to sweat but they can't build anything without supplies. A local guy is opening a new place and he ordered 20 tables, lights, and 60chair sets. They told him about 8-9mos. Not bad actually.

jbart65

Point, Badpenguin.

I have wondered about that. I just figured demand was so high that it took awhile.

Diamond could add more production, but that's a big long-term expense for a product whose sales can be finicky. Building tables is a also a specialized skill and good help is hard to find these days at a reasonable price. Then there's all the supply disruptions since Covid.

Of course, hewing to a long wait is also a conscious biz strategy to keep up the buzz and maintain a premium price. They also get to demand some money up front, pocket it and earn interest for months before the table is delivered.

Aside from the long wait, though, how does the process run? I am looking to get a Diamond in the next year.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Point, Badpenguin.

I have wondered about that. I just figured demand was so high that it took awhile.

Diamond could add more production, but that's a big long-term expense for a product whose sales can be finicky. Building tables is a also a specialized skill and good help is hard to find these days at a reasonable price. Then there's all the supply disruptions since Covid.

Of course, hewing to a long wait is also a conscious biz strategy to keep up the buzz and maintain a premium price. They also get to demand some money up front, pocket it and earn interest for months before the table is delivered.

Aside from the long wait, though, how does the process run? I am looking to get a Diamond in the next year.
They have prod. capacity but as i stated above they are slaves to the supply chain. You need to call and talk to Chad about a table. Good time to buy one is at Derby. All those tables were/are for sale. Buying a 'tourn. used' table can save you $$/time.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Every pool table ever made had 5” pockets. The only way to get tighter was to shim the pockets. Diamond was the first to make the tight pockets standard in the mid 1990’s. If you buy a new GC6 today, it comes with 5” pockets.
Even new Diamond 9' are not shimmed from the factory.
Local, new room owner (Opening summer 24) getting his litter of New Diamond 9 & 7' tables this spring.
Said he's not going to pay that up charge he'll wait till the recover.
$mart.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every pool table ever made had 5” pockets. The only way to get tighter was to shim the pockets. Diamond was the first to make the tight pockets standard in the mid 1990’s. If you buy a new GC6 today, it comes with 5” pockets.
Starting with the GC5 you can get 4.5" corners from the factory. They call it the 'Tournament Edition'.

YukonCornelius

Registered
I think it could be beneficial to raise the entrance fee to $250 (100% of previous original buy-in + 56% of rebuy). If the number of buy-back is in fact, roughly half, raising the buy-in should cover that, right? My Alabama Algebra could be incorrect..

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Starting with the GC5 you can get 4.5" corners from the factory. They call it the 'Tournament Edition'.
Yeah I know. It actually started with the 4’s I believe.

My point was for 70 some years all home tables and all commercial tables were 5” pockets as “standard”. Diamond started the tight 4.5” pockets straight from the factory. If anyone has ever played on a tight GC or other brand all these 70 some years, it was 99% shimmed. Unless it had a huge tournament edition sticker on the side. Or one of us die hards paid Glen or similar 2k for extended rails.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah I know. It actually started with the 4’s I believe.

My point was for 70 some years all home tables and all commercial tables were 5” pockets as “standard”. Diamond started the tight 4.5” pockets straight from the factory. If anyone has ever played on a tight GC or other brand all these 70 some years, it was 99% shimmed. Unless it had a huge tournament edition sticker on the side. Or one of us die hards paid Glen or similar 2k for extended rails.
No. The first TE's were the 5's.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I'll
We’ll see what happens when SVB, Shaw and friends don’t show up next year. Good pickings for the second tier pros I guess.
I'll believe them not showing up when I see it...especially if it is a ranking event, but even if it isn't. Certainly possible...they don't all go to Turning Stone

dendweller

Reread my post. sometimes I'm not clear, but new room/owner/tables.
Okay, I did. My question is, what type of shimming does the factory do. To me, shimming means adding facings to tighten the pockets.

In other words, my understanding is, their sub rails and rubber are cut to accommodate the dimensions of the pocket. If you buy 4.5 it has just a 3/16 facing.

What does shimming mean to you?

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At end of day its all about the money when you get to the top and motivates the ambition to play. So many top players in USA no longer hitting balls.

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They have prod. capacity but as i stated above they are slaves to the supply chain. You need to call and talk to Chad about a table. Good time to buy one is at Derby. All those tables were/are for sale. Buying a 'tourn. used' table can save you $$/time.
Didn't they have long lead times even before COVID and the supply chain issues COVID brought? I could more easily understand if they had capacity issues because of booming business (good for them). But if they can't overcome their supply chain issues to something better than 9-month lead times, then maybe they should be looking for a new supply chain manager. I mean, a pool table is pretty simplistic and crude by most standards...I don't know what material or component could be holding up their production.