What's goin on wit pool today

WileyCoyote

Registered
Am I the only one thats cocernd about the great game these days? I mean wheres all the players, the action? Im in Goldsboro Nc n play outta Fast Eddies.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
what are you doing about it?

Am I the only one thats cocernd about the great game these days? I mean wheres all the players, the action? Im in Goldsboro Nc n play outta Fast Eddies.

No offense but this is a constant refrain on the forums lately. I have to ask what all the people complaining about no action are doing about it themselves. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not gambling much anymore, just not up to long sessions right now. However, when I was looking for action if I couldn't find it I made it. If you can't find any action lower the bet or increase the spot. Get folks to betting and then tighten up a little on them after a few weeks. Worst case you lose a few small bets and have to really work hard trying to stretch your game to outrun the spot. Tough action is a lot better than no action.

If all else fails, cook the books on folks. Nothing gets people in the mood for action like watching action. My partner and I used to ramble in a place far enough apart that people didn't realize we were together. If one or both of us couldn't get into action we would hook up with each other after awhile and start passing cash back and forth. Bet by the game or very short sets. That drew the railbirds and always included some folks that were looking at "easy money" getting away from them. Soon one or both of us would be in real action and we usually played a little better after we warmed up.

No action? Get out there and make it.

Hu

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
The problem today

is not so much that Pool is dying, but the decline is simply a by-product of a dying National economy. People have to use their money more for necessities, and luxuries and entertainment are put on the back burner, so to speak.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Although not an answer to your question. I have been playing for like 50 years and it is sort of like when people say, "What is happening with the youth today"?
"What will it take to make pool like other sports", or "What is happening to pool today, why isn't it more popular," has been asked by every generation of players.
Like swimming, archery, bird watching, or a whole host of activities people like to do. Pool has a pretty small following, more of a subculture then a sport. The numbers are just not there no matter how you want to crunch them.
Pool is what it is and that is all it will ever be.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
is not so much that Pool is dying, but the decline is simply a by-product of a dying National economy. People have to use their money more for necessities, and luxuries and entertainment are put on the back burner, so to speak.

What was the excuse three years ago? Or ten years ago? The economy may be a contributing factor but it doesn't really have much to do with it. If anything, now may be a good time to invest in a pool room. Maybe pick up some equipment at a good price and buy or rent a building at a dirt cheap price. A pool room is a simple bottom line formula. Most pool rooms closing are closing because the nut was just plain too high in the first place. They never could survive any down turn in business for what ever reason. The best part is, the economy will not stay like it is today. When it picks up a new room will be set to profit on the next boom.

I remember when Don Carter built a bowling alley in the middle of no where. People thought he was nuts. He bought the property for $175,000 (would have cost him $3000,000.00 in just a few years later) and put up a state of the art bowling alley. In just a few years he was in the middle of a thriving area with a 24 hour business that was a gold mine. Even before the growth he was open 24 hours and had leagues bowling in the middle of the night. The place made money right from the start.

Someone starting a pool room today with a manageable overhead in this economy would be ahead of the curve. I would even suggest buying a building. At some point in the future you can even sell the business and become the landlord. Anyone who has ever owned a poolroom knows what I am talking about. It is a formula business and today may be an excellent time to take a plunge. As an example, I know where I can buy a building for what it would have cost me to rent for just one year, only a few years ago. There is a lot of opportunity out there and pool is not a fad. People will play pool no matter what the economy is.

Last edited: