What's It Like Taking a Break From Pool?

HDR10

HR Custom Cues
Silver Member
I took a twelve year break when I started my family. Was a very easy thing too do and didn't miss it at all! Actually came back strong I was cashing in most any tourney I entered. I was pretty much forced to quit year before last when my mother was dying because she wanted to die at home and my wife and I had no help from my brother and sister or their spouses. It was awful for my game and my mind this time. Was just getting back in stroke when I had a tendon in my knee give up and I fell on it and fractured a bone. Now I'm dealing with a severe sciatica problem. I'd give a kidney or something tho be able to play right now it is the worst so far! Seems to me if it's your idea for the break it's not all that bad but forced into it, and it's bad all the way around.

2strong4u

Banned
I have barely played all summer. I went out 2 weeks ago and had all the 10 dollar a set action I could get, giving up the 7 out. Good to see nothing has changed.

Pool really dies down here in the summer. Hoping people develop some heart and will want to play this year. Big table pool gets a little smaller each year. People are just goofy over APA. It's killing what the game used to be. I could see myself not playing at all.

2strong4u

Banned
Everyones game deteriorates when they don't play.{Even if they don't think so}
It seems like system players suffer a little less, at least in my experiences.
I never thought I would say this but I am considering quitting for good, I keep running into people who make the pool room not fun to go to , they are all trying to turn their 12 dollars into a fortune, so hard, it just wears me out listening to them.
I even tried earplugs and a small earbud with music but they come in the door screaming and leave screaming and just blabber the same stupid drivel as loud as possible all the time they are there.
It was entertaining when Fats or Keith or Ronnie or guys like that did it.
When you have 12 half wits doing it at the same time, all day long, every time you go in to play, it lost it's flavor for me.
I like to have fun and joke around but I don't think it has to be a scream fest to enjoy yourself.
Does this go on where any of you guys play?
NO...it's like a library here. Why don't you just bust every last one of these punks?

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I don't want to derail the thread but since we're talking about taking breaks, what do you guys do get back in shape when you're coming back from one? You just play some matches, do some exercices, assess your fundamentals?

Don't do anything, Jimbo. It all takes care of itself. The first couple of weeks will find you a bit rusty, but in time you'll be back to normal. :smile:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Recent circumstances may make it so that I cannot play as much as usual, and perhaps quit playing altogether for a few months. It's depressing only because I've only just recently started to get past the biggest plateau I've ever faced in pool and this comes at a time when my game is really starting to improve.

So, for those of you who have had to take breaks away from pool:

1) Did you come back with just as much passion and fire as you did when you were playing routinely?

2)Did your ability or technical knowledge become rusty or fall off any?

3)If it did, how long before you were playing back to your old level?

I'm worried that if I stop playing routinely as I have been for the last 2 years then I will lose the fire I have for this game.

-Richard

I once spent maybe 2 or 3 years without playing once. Pool cue was in my trunk the whole time. A kid that worked for me played a bit and told me about a room he plays in, I went to play with him, then went there alone, then started playing regularly again. I think it took me a few weeks to get to the same speed I was those few years ago, which was maybe a low B. Since then I went up to a B+ after re-learning to play correctly.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take a break? How about 40+ years off. I'm back for a year and a half and with more passion than ever. The only difference from then till now is my parents used to call around the poolrooms looking for me and now it's my wife. Hah.

I too went away because of work & family... When I came back, it took me two years to become better than ever. I got several videos a dozen books... info that wasn't available in 1979. And I got a pool Table. Two years later I won a State Championship.

You'll be OK.... desire conquers a lot of setbacks.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Answers below in my favorite color
So, for those of you who have had to take breaks away from pool:

1) Did you come back with just as much passion and fire as you did when you were playing routinely?
Not even close

2)Did your ability or technical knowledge become rusty or fall off any?
Ability - absolutely
Knowledge - No

3)If it did, how long before you were playing back to your old level?
I'll tell you when I ever come close to the old level, but don't hold your breath (see #1)

george canon

Registered
Sure, you can get bumed out, it can get stale, it happens, so hang it up for a few days, then come back, that will work, and that is good. Pro golfers don't play every day, they usually have Monday off, or Tue. They will only do 3 tourneys in a row, 3 weeks, then take a full week off, and do something other than golf. Jack Nicklaus went out and played Tennis, during his off time. Others go fish.

You will get more fun, if you don't keep playing, the same game, over and over. If you're an 8 ball player, learn 14.1, it will improve your 8 ball, learn one pocket, it will improve your safety play and banking, learn Snooker, you will learn to hit soft, with center ball, and make more long shots, learn 3-cushion, it will teach you spin and better position. :p