What's the best mechanical bridge for shooting over several balls?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I haven't used that one, but it does look like it has merit. The fact that it doesn't require modification to be used as a travel item is a big plus.

Wow... just watched that video. That certainly is a versatile bridge...lol. I'll give tons of credit to the inventor. He definitely put a ton of effort into thinking that one up. At $37usd, I may just have to wait for a retirement sale.
From the pictures I've seen, he made a major mistake in the design. The place where the cue rests on the bridge head has a certain roundness or radius. The shaft resting there has its roundness/radius. In a good design, there a particular relationship between those two. I think this bridge fails.

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just a bridge is THE BEST BRIDGE and it fits in your case
Not really. I've had one of these since sometime in the 90s and I use it all the time, but it doesn't allow use over several balls. It's really not any higher than a moose head. In the demonstration video they achieve more height by resting on the rail, but that's not the usual use case.

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From the pictures I've seen, he made a major mistake in the design. The place where the cue rests on the bridge head has a certain roundness or radius. The shaft resting there has its roundness/radius. In a good design, there a particular relationship between those two. I think this bridge fails.
But it's not the same as if the cue and the bridge are both hard surfaces. The Just-A-Bridge has that felt pad that centers the cue in the bridge head and actually "snugs" the cue if/when it slides forward far enough to extend into the tapering portion of the shaft.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not really. I've had one of these since sometime in the 90s and I use it all the time, but it doesn't allow use over several balls. It's really not any higher than a moose head. In the demonstration video they achieve more height by resting on the rail, but that's not the usual use case.
Other bridges dont go around balls as easily or have adjustable heights for the cue stick
also you can put one on top of the other if you need to stack them to get higher
But everyone has their own opinion
my opinion is there’s none better

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
But it's not the same as if the cue and the bridge are both hard surfaces. The Just-A-Bridge has that felt pad that centers the cue in the bridge head and actually "snugs" the cue if/when it slides forward far enough to extend into the tapering portion of the shaft.
I was thinking of a different recent design. But my comment still applies in that the channel that the cue sits in works better if it's a V-groove or similar rather than having a large radius that allows the cue to wobble back and forth.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Might make it easier to lift them quickly out of the way after the shot, and thus avoid a foul.

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ordered one of these and I recommend that you try it for bridging over several balls.

Generic bridge head at Amazon.

Here's what it's got going for it:
  1. It's tall. Raises the cue shaft significantly higher than my just-a-bridge.
  2. It's stable. The rubber grommet is stiff enough to hold your cue steady.
  3. It's transparent. Makes the side edges of the cue ball more visible.
  4. It's portable. Fits in your case and on most any house cue.
  5. It's simple and sturdy. Will probably last forever.
  6. It's cheap: $10 & free delivery with Prime. Compare that to Kamui's $40 version.

Last edited:

KweaSr

Wannabe Player
I haven't used that one, but it does look like it has merit. The fact that it doesn't require modification to be used as a travel item is a big plus.

Wow... just watched that video. That certainly is a versatile bridge...lol. I'll give tons of credit to the inventor. He definitely put a ton of effort into thinking that one up. At $37usd, I may just have to wait for a retirement sale.
they are awesome, but now cost about $46. Well worth it though, I use mine all the time

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I use Chris Hightower's "Road Bridge". This thing is awesome and exceptionally well made..