What's the deal with pool players? A sport for angry and shitty people it seems

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
And all of the nuttiness that takes place in various pool rooms carries right over into pool forums since the inception of
pool forums on the internet. (Guilty as charged, your Honor) :devilish::ninja:o_O😆
This ain't Sunday school...

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Anybody that thinks the biggest "crazies" are in pool, haven't played golf or seen the real crazies on the golf course from amateurs to pro golfers.

Last edited:

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always been partial to shitty people. They're way more fun than non-shitty people.
For years I wandered aimlessly, searching for shitty people to associate with. I looked everywhere, but all I found were non-shitty people. I was desperate.
Then one glorious day, out of the blue, I stumbled into a pool hall where low and behold, as far as the eye could see, were shitty people. Tall ones, short ones, fat ones, skinny ones, hot ones, ugly ones, drunk ones, drugged ones, happy ones, and sad ones. A plethora of shitty people.
Well, it's been a long time since I first walked into that shitty world of shitty people, but since then I've never looked back. Give me a shitty person any day of the week.
Now, pissy people? I'll have no truck with them. :)

I copied this so we could all remember the great Tramp Steamer, relax and enjoy the shitty people.

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
Anybody that thinks the biggest "crazies" are in pool, haven't played golf or seen the real crazies on the golf course from amateurs to pro golfers.

Reminded me of a guy I used to play (gamble) with on the regular........I was already in the fairway......He hooked his drive off the tee into a fairway bunker (guaranteed loss of hole).........He cocked back and was ready to launch his driver into the Arizona desert with plenty of rocks and cactus and snakes.....He paused mid-launch....turned and threw it down the fairway.....I laughed at him....I told him that don't count.....if your going snap and launch your club......launch it!....you don't get to stop and launch it in the direction you are going anyway.

Saw another guy get instant Karma....He launched his high dollar putter after missing a put and the putter got stuck up in a tree.

The best was in a bar pool room.....guy missed a shot that cost him the match......He casually calmly proceeded to walk outside and beat his cue into toothpicks over the parking curb.

Last edited:

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just because someone doesn't believe in vampires , doesn't mean the guy with two holes in his neck, is nuts.
Plus, nobody cares.

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
What I want to know is......After 9 years....Did the OP wade through all the shit and make it to Pro Speed???

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Saw another guy get instant Karma....He launched his high dollar putter after missing a put and the putter got stuck up in a tree.
Same thing happened to me! I didn't launch the putter but was playing with three other guys in Miami at Trump's Doral
course where they used to hold the PGA tournament. I found out early on that they were FBI agents, so I figured I needed to be on my best behavior. All of them were great down to Earth fun-loving cussing men who had good golf games better than I did.

One of them in particular took it seriously and seemed like a real bad ass to begin with and not someone to piss off. We were a couple of holes into the back nine when that guy missed a 3-foot putt for the win against his playing partners. (I wasn't in the bet) He stood there seething with his face getting red and just hauled off and slung that putter as hard as he could which ended up getting stuck in a pretty high palm tree behind the green. Everybody was going "Whoooo" except for him which only made him more pissed off than ever.

There was no way to climb the tree or reach that high with another club to dislodge it, so we all started throwing coconuts
that were on the ground. There were a lot of coconuts thrown with no success and one of them suggested that they get their guns out and try to shoot the damn thing out of the tree. Clearer heads prevailed after thinking where the bullets might end up. Finally, one of the guys got lucky with a coconut heave and the club came falling out of the tree. We finished the round with no more catastrophes. It will be something I'll never forget though. Super funny as hell!!

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Pool is full of mentally ill people because of a man named Thomas Midgley Jr. He is responsible for inventing tetraethyl leaded gasoline in the early 1920s, a solution to the knocking of internal combustion engines in cars. For thousands of years it was already known that lead was highly toxic, but the stance he and his company took was purely profits over environmental health concerns. He himself could not be near to his own product due to acute lead poisoning, and many workers at the manufacturing plants experienced hallucinations, pain, insanity and death as a result. Throughout the next few decades leaded gasoline was used until it was banned due to public health concerns. Scientists studying the concentration levels in the atmosphere drilled out ice cores from regions in Scandinavia to measure the history, and created the plot below. The first hump arounf year 0 was due to industrial activity in Rome, afterwards, another increase worldwide as Medieval metal production increased. Then a sudden jump in the industrial revolution and a huge spike during the leaded gas decades. Once it was banned the concentrations suddenly dropped.

View attachment 747084
There is a direct correspondence between this spike in lead exposure, and violent crime 20 years after infants had been exposed to high lead concentrations, right around the time when pool was in its heyday:
View attachment 747085

The following is quoted from the Wikipedia page in the lead-crime hypothesis:

There is no longer a large lead pollution problem, but the legacy of misbehavior of the "mentally-ill generation" designed by a man-made epidemic has culturally stuck in places like pool halls, populated by those who couldn't hold a steady job or support a family.

By the way, Midgley went on to later invent Freon, the first chlorofluorocarbons, cementing his legacy as "having had more adverse impact on the atmosphere than any other single organism in Earth's history."

Literally stupid crazy people playing an insane game.
Funny thing about data, people can make it read however they choose, the one constant is that it is always to their benefit.

snookered_again

I think most kids, especially boys, go through a phase where they have temper tantrums if they feel they don't get enough attention. if a kid lacs attention bad attention is better than no attention. Those with parents who have good parenting skills get it dealt with, Pronto !.. some grow into adults with the same habitual response. At that point its pretty ingrained in their personality. you can choose which friends you invite home, If I dont feel Id leave someone alone in my house they dont come in to start with. you dont necessarily have the choice of a bunch of local pool halls, maybe in cities, not everywhere. I think usually if one just says Ive had enough of these antics for the day and breaks his cue down and leaves its understandable to the others. If you start throwing things about others have reason to shun you. I remember a guy at work got mad at his laptop he literally threw it on the floor, wow, never thought of him quite the same way after. he wasn't violent towards me, but you just can't take stuff like that back.
I think it happens where most of us need to deal with people who are a bit off. we have one who is very distracting to the point the owner has sent him away a few times because he felt hie was harassing other friends.. Hes a nice man with a lot of tolerance. The guy comes back and all is forgiven, it's never forgotten . I maintain that there is just a certain number of babies get dropped on their heads and they usually still turn into adults ;-) maybe its not really always completely their fault.. there is a stigma about these mental health issues and they are common, some do a better job of keeping the gremlins within, but then some others build up so much steam they suddenly explode.

mnorwood

Moon
Silver Member
Not sure if this behavior is unique to pool. Some of the worst displays of sportsmanship and overall indecency was always at high school basketball games. Parents, coaches, players on both sides absolutely horrible. Haven’t been back to a basketball game in 30 years. Weird thing is people really didn’t notice all the foul language and shouting.

WobblyStroke

It would be hard to find a nine-year old thread less worthy of being bumped.
u mean there was no justnum back then? Cuz come 2032 there will be a whole slew of 9y.o. threads significantly less worthy than this one.

i for one found some of the stories amusing

Reactions: sjm

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
u mean there was no justnum back then? Cuz come 2032 there will be a whole slew of 9y.o. threads significantly less worthy than this one.

i for one found some of the stories amusing
No, there was no "Justnum type" that began more threads than anyone else on the forum despite having virtually nothing of interest to say and who hijacked countless threads and took them way off topic.

There were some combative posters, like Fast Larry and Gremlin, but both sometimes had interesting things to say.