What's the "Sputnik" shot???

gopi-1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a Filipino term for a shot that's near the rail. This shot is usually used
when there's another ball near the same rail sitting pretty close to a pocket.
You shoot the object ball hard with a lot of top spin, hitting it half face with
the intention of pocketing the other ball that's sitting near the pocket.
Basically, you're trying to hug the rail with your CB.

I've seen this kind of shot being used in trick shots, specially on the ladies
side. I've seen Allison, Ewa and Jeanette Lee doing this shot...

Russ Chewning

Short Bus Russ - C player
Silver Member
gopi-1 said:
That's a Filipino term for a shot that's near the rail. This shot is usually used
You shoot the object ball hard with a lot of top spin, hitting it half face with

This can't be right. Tirador was making a big deal about the shot, like you have to have a "Filipino" stroke or something to make it, or that Pinoys somehow had the copyright on this shot or something.

I was practicing this shot straight out of one of Byrne's book when I was just a beginner.. And hitting it fairly well, too.

Russ

rom

Registered
it has nothing o do with a Filipino stroke nor a copyright. you can see this type of shot mostly on carom games or billiard trickshots. it's the same shot except Pinoys call it a Sputnik where the cue ball orbits around like the Sputnik space satellite or whatever that is.

Last edited:

Eddie4269

Billiard Equpment Tech
Silver Member
rom said:
it has nothing o do with a Filipino stroke nor a copyright. you can see this type of shot mostly on carom games or billiard trickshots. it's the same shot except Pinoys call it a Sputnik where the cue ball orbits around like the Sputnik space satellite or whatever that is.

Actually Rom, I copyrighted this shot in 1988. If you are shooting this shot, please provide your address so my attorney can forward the Cease & Desist letter.

Railbird Hero

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow. I must admit Ive had it wrong for some time. Ive called my sputnik shot one that when jumping up off of table clangs the light and lands back onto table. This because sputnik was first sound orbiting earth. Just a Beeep...Beeep...
Thanks for showing me the Force!!!

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
gopi-1 said:

so it's a carom shot. but it would be a lot of help if you could show us an illustration or a diagram of it. tnx in advance.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Hail Mary Shot said:
so it's a carom shot. but it would be a lot of help if you could show us an illustration or a diagram of it. tnx in advance.

Sounds like they're talking about this shot?

I never knew a name for it, but I think it's a pretty elementary shot, just requires a good follow stroke and an accurate hit on the first ball.

-Andrew

rom

Registered
Eddie4269 said:
Actually Rom, I copyrighted this shot in 1988. If you are shooting this shot, please provide your address so my attorney can forward the Cease & Desist letter.

hahaha... i dont even no how to shoot it... hehehe but u can see most of this shot in carom games.

Last edited:

rom

Registered
Railbird Hero said:
Wow. I must admit Ive had it wrong for some time. Ive called my sputnik shot one that when jumping up off of table clangs the light and lands back onto table. This because sputnik was first sound orbiting earth. Just a Beeep...Beeep...
Thanks for showing me the Force!!!

Luke...use d force wisely! heheheh....

rom

Registered
Andrew Manning said:
Sounds like they're talking about this shot?

I never knew a name for it, but I think it's a pretty elementary shot, just requires a good follow stroke and an accurate hit on the first ball.

-Andrew

yep! exactly! u can check caromtv.com for more of that... the torres exhibiton shows alot of it even in 3 cushion sputnik shot, whatever you call that.. it's a force follow shot with lots of english, hits d rail then grabs the cloth making it bounce back foward... hope that helps.

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rom said:
yep! exactly! u can check caromtv.com for more of that... the torres exhibiton shows alot of it even in 3 cushion sputnik shot, whatever you call that.. it's a force follow shot with lots of english, hits d rail then grabs the cloth making it bounce back foward... hope that helps.

you got it, it's force follow alright. it's not that difficult, for me that is. :D

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
gopi-1 said:

nope. thats not the sputnik

Endymion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Railbird Hero said:
This because sputnik was first sound orbiting earth. Just a Beeep...Beeep...
So Sputnik was the shot heard round the world? :schoolhouserock jam: