Votes: 5 1.5%

Votes: 27 8.0%

Votes: 47 13.9%

Votes: 87 25.8%

Votes: 151 44.8%

• Total voters

bboyer1969

Registered
I assume it is ok to repost as we move up in APA? Good shooting everyone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
I played one season back in 2010 - but the only records I/they can find are win/loss. I was at 80% win .. and I think I was a 4. Although as I recall - several people complained that I should have been higher (5?). Will be starting next session - and I guess I'll be a 4 starting out. No idea if I deserve being rated that high anymore or not. Self-evaluation was never my strong suit.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The gap between a 5 and a 7 is huge, although all 7's are not created equal. I do know that I would be more than happy to play 5's all day and night at 7 - 5
Jason<----- hasn't played APA in 25 years

You mentioned 7-5 which I assume you mean a race to 7-5.

I don't know what the 8 ball race between a 7and a 5 was 25 years ago but now a days its 5-3. With 7 being the highest attainable handicap in apa 8 ball that player could be anywhere from a b to semi pro.

I agree that a 5 does not have a chance in Hades of beating a 7 that's semi pro level but they are very capable of beating low level 7's. I am a 5 and although I dont beat 7's on a regular basis i have won several matches by scores of 3-1 and 3-2 ....basically not needing the handicap.

A race.in 9.ball.between a 7 and a 5 in 55-38 . The 7 is almost spotting a 5 two full racks.. I was just raised to a 6 in 9 ball due to some rather convincing wins over 7's recently.. Scores like 38-28....38-32 ....38-16.. The most recent win before I was raised was a 38-16 win over a 6. Some 5's ...such as myself are quite capable of running a rack with a pretty open table.. Heck I had a 5 on my team.beat an 8 ny 38-22 a few.weeks ago..

I think you have all.5's categorized with another 5 on my team.that can barely run 4 balls starting with bih. Maybe 3-4 ball runs are what's expected from average 5's but 5's that are borderline 6's can whip up on 7's when they are being spotted almost 2 full racks.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
You mentioned 7-5 which I assume you mean a race to 7-5.

I don't know what the 8 ball race between a 7and a 5 was 25 years ago but now a days its 5-3. With 7 being the highest attainable handicap in apa 8 ball that player could be anywhere from a b to semi pro.

I agree that a 5 does not have a chance in Hades of beating a 7 that's semi pro level but they are very capable of beating low level 7's. I am a 5 and although I dont beat 7's on a regular basis i have won several matches by scores of 3-1 and 3-2 ....basically not needing the handicap.

A race.in 9.ball.between a 7 and a 5 in 55-38 . The 7 is almost spotting a 5 two full racks.. I was just raised to a 6 in 9 ball due to some rather convincing wins over 7's recently.. Scores like 38-28....38-32 ....38-16.. The most recent win before I was raised was a 38-16 win over a 6. Some 5's ...such as myself are quite capable of running a rack with a pretty open table.. Heck I had a 5 on my team.beat an 8 ny 38-22 a few.weeks ago..

I think you have all.5's categorized with another 5 on my team.that can barely run 4 balls starting with bih. Maybe 3-4 ball runs are what's expected from average 5's but 5's that are borderline 6's can whip up on 7's when they are being spotted almost 2 full racks.

I was just referring to myself playing a 5 with that spot. I would also love to play 6's all day with the apa handicap. From what I can see there are quite a few 7's that you scratch your head wondering how they got that rating.

Congrats on the improvement:thumbup:
Jason

bboyer1969

Registered
In our in house Valley league I fluctuate between an 8 and 9 pushing at a 10 sometimes. I maybe a sleeper 7 in APA? Only time will tell. Out of all the 6's I have beat in APA imo they should not be a 6 judging by how they play. Just an opinion and is most likely my area. When our team went to Vegas we got put in the losers bracket the first match by a team of all 5's that were tough as nails. All depends on what the player knows to determine the differences between a 5 to a 7.

Good shooting everyone.

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
In our in house Valley league I fluctuate between an 8 and 9 pushing at a 10 sometimes. I maybe a sleeper 7 in APA? Only time will tell. Out of all the 6's I have beat in APA imo they should not be a 6 judging by how they play. Just an opinion and is most likely my area. When our team went to Vegas we got put in the losers bracket the first match by a team of all 5's that were tough as nails. All depends on what the player knows to determine the differences between a 5 to a 7.

Good shooting everyone.

That crap was going on 25+ years ago. You'd have a team of lets say - Tony Watson, Mike Davis, Chris Bruner, Shaun Wilke and 2 or 3 others and there was still no guarantee they would win. The teams back then and I'm assuming now were so far over the handicap that if the ratings were higher any 2 of the team might have put them over 23 lol.
Jason

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That crap was going on 25+ years ago. You'd have a team of lets say - Tony Watson, Mike Davis, Chris Bruner, Shaun Wilke and 2 or 3 others and there was still no guarantee they would win. The teams back then and I'm assuming now were so far over the handicap that if the ratings were higher any 2 of the team might have put them over 23 lol.
Jason

I am going to preface this by admitting I have very limited experience playing in Vegas so my opinion may be skewed about the number of underrated players at nationals.

I have only been to Vegas once and we faced 4 teams...we went 2-2. I also watched a few other teams while my girl was out playing slots.

I only noticed one.... No make that 2 players who I thought was under rated....compared to their opponents. A girl who was a 2 from Colorado and....myself based on my level of play compared to my opponents.

I won my first match 38-4 vs another 5 for a 20-0 win.

Won my 2nd match 38-9 vs another 5 for a 19-1 win

Lost my 3rd match 55-37 vs a 7 . I was down 18-0 before I ever got to the table and scored 37 to his 37 from that point on.

I was hanging out in the lobby and the captain of the 2nd team we had faced came up and said he had been an apa captain for 25 years and had been to Vegas 17 times and had never seen a 5 as good as me. He then went on to say that there were 7's in his area that could not hang with me. I guess he was politely saying he thought I was a sandbagger....i dunno.

Thing is I can name 4 other 5's in my area that I think are better than me and I dont think any of them at sandbaggers and I know I am not one.

I will admit to some times playing way better than 5's .....according to most players ....are supposed to be capable of playing.

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am going to preface this by admitting I have very limited experience playing in Vegas so my opinion may be skewed about the number of underrated players at nationals.

I have only been to Vegas once and we faced 4 teams...we went 2-2. I also watched a few other teams while my girl was out playing slots.

I only noticed one.... No make that 2 players who I thought was under rated....compared to their opponents. A girl who was a 2 from Colorado and....myself based on my level of play compared to my opponents.

I won my first match 38-4 vs another 5 for a 20-0 win.

Won my 2nd match 38-9 vs another 5 for a 19-1 win

Lost my 3rd match 55-37 vs a 7 . I was down 18-0 before I ever got to the table and scored 37 to his 37 from that point on.

I was hanging out in the lobby and the captain of the 2nd team we had faced came up and said he had been an apa captain for 25 years and had been to Vegas 17 times and had never seen a 5 as good as me. He then went on to say that there were 7's in his area that could not hang with me. I guess he was politely saying he thought I was a sandbagger....i dunno.

Thing is I can name 4 other 5's in my area that I think are better than me and I dont think any of them at sandbaggers and I know I am not one.

I will admit to some times playing way better than 5's .....according to most players ....are supposed to be capable of playing.

Think that says a lot. Assuming that Captain has been on team that won their way to Vegas 17 out of 25. I can only think of a hand full of teams I know of ever making it to Vegas. Not easy making it to Vegas with an honest team.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Think that says a lot. Assuming that Captain has been on team that won their way to Vegas 17 out of 25. I can only think of a hand full of teams I know of ever making it to Vegas. Not easy making it to Vegas with an honest team.

I thought basically the same thing while he was talking to me. The thing is no one on that team seemed like a sandbagger. We lost to them but it was because my two 4's played like crap. They actually played worse than my 3 did.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Seriously, the majority of people here are 7 (according to the poll)?? haha I think the margin of error is +-70%.

This site's active posters are going to represent a higher number of hardcore players than your average APA league. If we did this poll 15 years ago, the percentage probably would have been higher, and you may not have seen a 2 or 3 at all.

Egos might stop lower handicappers from doing the poll.

Last edited:

centexbomber

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The poll looks about like I expected... there are almost as many 7's as there are all the other skill levels combined. I started APA as a 7 and I play at least 2 speeds higher than that now, and I'd still be a 7. So would any US Open champion. So clearly 7 covers a really big range of players.

My first instinct was to say "the APA should adjust their handicaps", but really... what would it do if they made a scale to 10 or something? Then the teams have an even harder time keeping it under the 23 limit that everyone gripes about.

I agree with your instinct, adjust the handicaps. Just adjust them like APA 9ball, make a SL9 and lower to a 1 BUT raise the total points to 25 or something to allow the 9s to play. I don't understand why it's 23 for 8ball with the highest SL a 7 and the same for 9ball with a SL9?? But APA is extremely flawed!! I could keep going on and on!!

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

bboyer1969

Registered
This site's active posters are going to represent a higher number of hardcore players than your average APA league. If we did this pool 15 years ago, the percentage probably would have been higher, and you may not have seen a 2 or 3 at all.

Egos might stop lower handicappers from doing the poll.
I concur. I may not post a lot but do follow many posts. I play 6 days a week and am more involved with the Valley/BCA league.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
APA has many different league products, and its up to the league operator to offer them. APA 8-ball is marketed towards beginners/intermediates, while APA 9-ball is geared towards intermediates and higher skilled players. Players that join APA Masters prefer an all skill based outcome.

If you never heard of these other league products, perhaps you should talk to your league operator about offering them.

I agree with your instinct, adjust the handicaps. Just adjust them like APA 9ball, make a SL9 and lower to a 1 BUT raise the total points to 25 or something to allow the 9s to play. I don't understand why it's 23 for 8ball with the highest SL a 7 and the same for 9ball with a SL9?? But APA is extremely flawed!! I could keep going on and on!!

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Around my area, it takes as little as C, C+ to be handicapped as a SL 7 in APA 8-ball. You can have the situation where two players, a C+ matching up against A+++ playing even in a race to 5 on a barbox, because they're both ranked as SL7.

Seriously, the majority of people here are 7 (according to the poll)?? haha I think the margin of error is +-70%.

Last edited:

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
Around my area, it takes as little as C, C+ to be handicapped as a SL 7 in APA 8-ball. You can have the situation where two players, a C+ matching up against A+++ playing even in a race to 5 on a barbox, because they're both ranked as SL7.

The barbox is to blame for that. There's a pile of guys I know that play as 7's on bar boxes yet when they switch to the 9' league they end up as 6's. (This is 8 ball rating). APA in our area has some very strong and very weak 7's but the ratings are all based on 9' tables and sort of has a way to filter out the low ends down to a 6. The TAP league seems to be the best for proper handicaps. We have numerous 6's in our league that are far stronger than many 7's in APA. I think TAP tends to have more higher end players in the league which really makes you earn your status as a 7.

I feel like the APA LO around here enjoys 'making' more higher end players so it makes the chances of having more teams form due to handicap issues and teams splitting and forming extra teams. Mo teams = Mo money.