When is a cue considered Warped?

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When the cue is in a lathe, not between centers. But held in a chuck at the butt and the joint. Screw a shaft onto the cue. What does the tip do when the cue is slowly spun? If there’s a little wiggle, try and measure how much. Then take the whole cue and support it at the buttcap and tip. Put an indicator at the joint. Zero it out, and then slowly lift at the joint. Once the tip starts to lift up, read how much the cues own weight caused it to sag. If the first measurement from the lathe is greater than the second. The cue is warped. If the second measurement is greater, the cue isn’t warped. Why do I say this? Because when you hold the cue, it will have a slight sag between your hands. Unless you’re death gripping it. That should offset any perceived warp and allow a repeatable stroke no matter how the cue is held.
you just measured whether the pin was installed straight or not,,,,,,,, the hard way, but nothing else.

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say this one is warped.
1683161831840.png

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
wraps don't make cues warp,
cues without wraps can warp also,
cues with wraps can be straight,
wraps don't make cues warp.

unknown,,,,,,,,,,
Sounds like a bad rap.
Who said wraps make cues warp?
Unless that's satire that I'm missing.

Zerksies

This thing is damn WOOD, Your bitching about 0.025. You do realize that wood is a living thing and that it moves and flexes all the time.

CamposCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a bad rap.
Who said wraps make cues warp?
Unless that's satire that I'm missing.
I was assuming you meant if the wrap was mildly above the shoulder of the A joint then it could create almost a compound taper appearance or look warped when you rolled it on a table or whatever.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I was assuming you meant if the wrap was mildly above the shoulder of the A joint then it could create almost a compound taper appearance or look warped when you rolled it on a table or whatever.
Wrap channels are often hand sanded, they're not perfect.

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
I am the person who sold Twoforpool the Manzino cue. My first mistake was to sell the cue on ebay. People like twoforpool can "demo" cues, then claim a defect to ebay and get a full refund on their money. I learned this lesson the hard way, never to sell higher end cues on ebay. I think the cue is strait, and I stand by everything I sell. Twoforpool has removed some of his posts about where on the cue he took measurements, because they were so inconsistent from the story he told me to the story he told you guys. He removed comments that supported the cue was strait, as he said in this post. I had no intention selling him a "warped" cue, like he said it was. Bob Manzino makes great, beautiful, and strait cues, they are the highest of quality, and I currently have a fancy one on order. I use the "warped" cue as my daily player, and I was a fool to even want to sell it. I'm glad everything happened the way it did.
I generally don't like to get involved in this type of thing.....however .025 is less than the thickness of my driver license. With a fast cloth on the table you might be able to pick up a slight variation of movement. Imo....this was an excuse to get out of the sale because......
1. the buyer found a deal on an cue he liked better and possibly cheaper...or
2. he took the cue to his favorite hall to show it off and got jeered at for what his buddies thought was paying too much...or
3. you told him it was "dead nuts" straight and he felt misled because it really isn't...or
4. these are just a few things that may have caused the buyers remorse

I understand there may be different opinions or tolerances on what is considered a straight cue. I believe the shafts to be more important than the butt. However .025 on a shaft of 5 yrs isn't too bad either. If you screw the cue together...hang the shaft over the edge of the rail on the table with butt rested just behind the joint. Roll it back and forth and watch the tip. If it rolls with minimal to no movement on the tip you have a very playable cue. Is it dead nuts straight? It may or may not be considered this. However, it is very playable and in the right hands will run rack after rack.

I believe every builder strives to produce a product that when completed is considered dead nuts straight with no movement at all. I know I do and I also know Bob does as well. Once the product leaves the shop it can be crap shoot how long this dead nuts thing will last. Entirely too many variables to list that can and will effect this straightness thing.
Enjoy your Manzino, It was probably never meant to be sold anyway. ;)