When to get a new tip

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
I tried the searching for this, because I thought I had seen it.

When do y'all think is the cutoff point for getting a new tip put on?

Just wondering because it's been on my mind to get a new tip on my player for about three weeks now. Every time I pull my cues out of the case to play, I look at the tip and say "huh.... I should probably get this replaced soon"

It's a Sarin tip [Poison] and I know they don't have the best reviews, but it came on it, and as of last night, there's just enough meat on it to still burnish the sides. It holds shape.

What do some of you recommend as a good way to measure when one needs to be replaced?

Physiqz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Layered Tips recommended replacement every 6 months except for chemically dipped tips such as Kumui Black, those are recommended every 7-8 months.

Pure leather tips, every 4 months
Phenolic, only when it breaks lol

These are only recommendations from manufacturers, the time expected when the tip dries out to the point they no longer play like they were new

It also depends on how you maintain your tip and if you keep it in a dry cool place or in the trunk of your car in summer

Having a tip keeper increases your tip life significantly

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
for sure you need to replace it when it gets down to the point you may crack the ferrule
:D
tips change as you play with them
for me as the tip gets low there come a point where it starts to have a different feel
thats when i replace it

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
Physiqz Nice! Thanks so much for the input. Very helpful. My next tip will be a Kamui black, deciding on clear or not. I've played with both. Maybe I'll try a hard this time?

I've seen some people play with tips forever, and they just adjust I guess. Because they're clearly hard or worn almost to the ferrule or both.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I think it's time when you get tired of the one you're playing with. If it's wearing down and I get tired of miscuing, that's a good time, if I get tired of trying to shape it every time I play, that's a good time, if I get tired of trying to grind off the glaze every time I play, that's a good time, but I've had a few that I would use until the ferrule is wider than the tip.
Pretty much if I look at it and say to myself, "Self, it's time to change the tip" that's when it's time. That could be after a day or a week or a month, a year depends on how well I like the tip. Most tips are organic so each will be a little different than the one before, you can't always notice the difference. I think the trick is to find a brand that is the most consistent for you, for me it's been G2, but I know some people really can't stand the G2. I think the Moorakami is pure crap, but I know some folks like them,, and some I won't use out of principle. Like I don't see myself ever using another Kamui. Recently at the APA event there were people associated with Kamui that were so rude or drunk and obnoxious that just out of principle I'd never put another Kamui on my cue ever again.
Find the one you like and use it until your done with it

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
Tooler,

How's that Ki-Tech working out?

LLLuv it. It needs to be installed with very sharp tooling, but once it's burnished, it's very easy to maintain, and it moves as well as any Kamui.
I was a big Kamui fan, but I got tired of changing tips every 3 mo., with way to much maintenance.(glazing,getting too hard...etc).

My last soft Ki Tech has been on 9 mo., playing 15 hrs. a week minimum. Still has lots left.

Give em a shot, you'll be happy you did.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Insane

Layered Tips recommended replacement every 6 months except for chemically dipped tips such as Kumui Black, those are recommended every 7-8 months.

Pure leather tips, every 4 months
Phenolic, only when it breaks lol

These are only recommendations from manufacturers, the time expected when the tip dries out to the point they no longer play like they were new

It also depends on how you maintain your tip and if you keep it in a dry cool place or in the trunk of your car in summer

Having a tip keeper increases your tip life significantly

What is a tip keeper ?

I guess that makes the few thousand bucks I have invested in tips to stock my cue repair business worthless because I have had some tips for a few years .

Please post the link to this info what the tip factories suggested tip moisture content is ?

Personally I have major issue with sniper tips delaminating to the point I refuse to stock the tips .

They were falling apart upon installation when being shaped with a new razor blade .
So Investigated the reason why these tips were falling apart .

I was told it was moisture as in to much.
This went on for many years , two or three tips falling apart upon installation .
I thought maybe my cutter is dull ? replaced it and even re sharpened a few cutting bits .
Made no difference, so I switched to a live cutter to trim sniper tips .
Made zero difference .......3 or 4 tips per box just flat would fall apart .

I made a phone, I was told these tips fall apart because of to much moisture :eek:
Funny part about this is I LIVE IN THE DESSERT.

Not buying into the tips drying out in in a year or so .
And not buying into that the sniper tips got wet or the moisture content was so high they delaminated under my care ...
Lucky for me there are other tips makers who make a decent tip that doesn't fall apart and will play as good a sniper tip does.
Picture of how I trim tips and there is zero heat .from the cutter .

There is many tips in every hardness ratings that are good tips .
The search for the right tip starts with hardness rating ...then grip then tip maintenance as in mushrooming .
Then the tip durability does it get harder or softer or delaminate .
I own a few custom cues, I have bought and sold a hundred or so custom cues .
I have never had one issue with one tip drying out ........................

And trust me IT GETS DRY IN NEVADA .......

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Physiqz Nice! Thanks so much for the input. Very helpful. My next tip will be a Kamui black, deciding on clear or not. I've played with both. Maybe I'll try a hard this time?
I've seen some people play with tips forever, and they just adjust I guess. Because they're clearly hard or worn almost to the ferrule or both.

Time has no bearing on tip life as long as it is maintained as it should be.
Tooler, is right. If it's as thin as a dime, change it. :)

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just wondering because it's been on my mind to get a new tip on my player for about three weeks now. Every time I pull my cues out of the case to play, I look at the tip and say "huh.... I should probably get this replaced soon"

It's a Sarin tip [Poison] and I know they don't have the best reviews, but it came on it, and as of last night, there's just enough meat on it to still burnish the sides. It holds shape.

What do some of you recommend as a good way to measure when one needs to be replaced?

The Sarin tip should come with a red border to tell you when to replace the tip.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Tips drying out

This is the definitive answer. The other poster's estimate of time passed is total nonsense. I've played with the same tip for years with no degradation or loss of playability.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

The only tips I have had that seemed like they were dried out are the fake Moori tips that has been flooding the market for about a decade as fare as I can tell .

Personally I don't think the big billiards supply houses know either, and the moori tip factory doesn't post video's to help their faithful customers to tell the difference from the real moori tips from the fakes.

Straight up there is a supplier in china that all the tips they sale are knock off tips.
And they will give you references of who their customers .
These are bulk sales of lots of 500 to a 1000 tips .
These fakes tips are flooding the market .

Moori
Kamui
G2
All have been counter fitted.

As far as I can tell the tail tail sign of a fake tip is they seem dried out and delaminate easy .

I have a hand full of fake moori tips that seem dry and delaminate so easy its incredible.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dime if you are not breaking with it. Simple, replace tip $15-$30 or replace tip & ferrule for about $80. That is everyone's choice.

For some reason to me my tips perform better short so I cut mine down quite a bit prior to install. I loathe cutting those 'shorty's' off right when they are playing un-real, but there comes a time. I do not constantly 'grind' my leather down, just light shape scuff as needed and they hold up nice.

-Kat,

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
LLLuv it. It needs to be installed with very sharp tooling, but once it's burnished, it's very easy to maintain, and it moves as well as any Kamui.
I was a big Kamui fan, but I got tired of changing tips every 3 mo., with way to much maintenance.(glazing,getting too hard...etc).

My last soft Ki Tech has been on 9 mo., playing 15 hrs. a week minimum. Still has lots left.

Give em a shot, you'll be happy you did.

Thanks So much. I'll be checking them out and probably ordering mine.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
The Sarin tip should come with a red border to tell you when to replace the tip.

It most certainly does.

532936513719789e64bea9c19bbd6214738d2714ae4266363349b4e6dadb3b98.jpg

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
What is a tip keeper ?

I guess that makes the few thousand bucks I have invested in tips to stock my cue repair business worthless because I have had some tips for a few years .

Please post the link to this info what the tip factories suggested tip moisture content is ?

Personally I have major issue with sniper tips delaminating to the point I refuse to stock the tips .

They were falling apart upon installation when being shaped with a new razor blade .

This went on for many years , two or three tips falling apart upon installation .
I thought maybe my cutter is dull ? replaced it and even re sharpened a few cutting bits .

The search for the right tip starts with hardness rating ...then grip then tip maintenance as in mushrooming .

Great advice. I really do appreciate all this insight everyone!!! This place is a wealth of knowledge.

MM -- What tip do you have there in the picture? I haven't played with a non-layered tip in a hot minute. Except for one pool room, all the bar cues were dufferins (mid level house cue range, as dufferin makes multiple bar cues) and I did love the way it hit.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

They're not all alike --- even tips of the same brand and model. Some can go longer than others. The key is in knowing your game and what you expect to get out of the tip. If you're not getting what you're supposed to get ( my gauge is usually backspin), go down your checklist.

My checklist is:

Is the tip shaped?
Is it properly roughed?
Is it significantly worn down?

If all answers are 'yes' and you're not getting what you expect performance-wise, then it's time to replace it.

Last edited:

Physiqz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is a tip keeper ?
Rubber piece to cover the tip

Having a proper box to store tips will work fine, this is after tip is put on and not stored in a proper container. Most cue repairmen will have it in a airtight container or a good fishing box which usually are water/air tight.

I did this research about a year and a half ago, I do not want to go look for all this info again, People will debate and say I have been playing with the same tip for year, blah blah.. This is simply because they adjusted to it as it slowly lost its new like hit. It happens slowly and it is like when a baby is growing, a parent is around it all the time and does not notice a significant growth were someone else would.

Sniper tips use a horrible laminating method and the glue compound breaks apart

I made a phone, I was told these tips fall apart because of to much moisture :eek:
Funny part about this is I LIVE IN THE DESSERT.

Not buying into the tips drying out in in a year or so .
And not buying into that the sniper tips got wet or the moisture content was so high they delaminated under my care ...
Lucky for me there are other tips makers who make a decent tip that doesn't fall apart and will play as good a sniper tip does.
Picture of how I trim tips and there is zero heat .from the cutter .

Hardness rating and elasticity does play a part in this, but it was a general question and I gave a recommendation. Remember the recommendation was when it no longer plays like brand new. Not when is is no longer playable.

I answered the questions above