Where Were You on 11/22/63 ?

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I first heard President Kennedy had been shot on November 22nd, it came over the television in the pool hall. I remember the day vividly.........I has just left the downtown campus of St' John's University that was located in lower Brooklyn.

I went directly to Flatbush Billiards and got into a game of 9 ball playing my old nemesis, a great hustler named Ciscero Murphy........must have played him 50 times and won maybe 4 or 5 times at most. I think he let me win those just to keep me coming back. Anyway, we were in the middle of a 9 ball match when word came over the TV.

The room wasn't crowded due to the time of the day as it was in the afternoon. Nonetheless, the room went immediately dead silent as if someone had turned off the sound on a television set. Everyone crowded around the TV and listened to the news. I had already lost $10 to Ciscero and we were in a race to 9 games in a double or nothing match. He spotted me 4 games and was up 7-5 in our match and it wasn't looking good.....I had only won one game so far.

People just stood and watched the TV in total disbelief. Cis walked away from the TV, went over to the table where we were playing, said nothing, broke down his cue, and looked at me and said this was going to be the worst day in history since Lincoln and he was right. I handed him the $10 I was down but Ciscero turned it down. He looked at me and said I should instead just go light some candles for the soul of our dearly departed President.

I left the pool hall around 4:30 PM that day, took the bus home to Prospect Heights and stopped at St. Paul's Church. The church was already filled with mourners and the Monsignor was talking to the congregation when I arrived. I cried that day in church with countless others and all of us mourned the loss of our wonderful President.

When President Kennedy was assassinated, I was playing pool.

Last edited:

DRW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
22 nov 1963

I was in 5th grade in Mr. Jacob's class. When the news came over the intercom, He broke down and started to sob. Most of the kids were a little confused at first. Some cried because he was crying. Some children went up to his desk and tried to comfort him. Most of the parents came to the school and picked up their children. Very sad.

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
50 years ago today....

I posted this in another thread today;

....I was sitting in a high school class when someone popped in and said the President had been shot and killed........Silence fell over the room and I personally felt a gloom I hadn't felt before........the pervasive feeling was that hope was lost and what is going to happen to us as a nation now?
As they say, things we all took for granted changed then, and nothing has ever been the same since. I don't care what anybody says about JFK; he was a hero of mine. His light shone brightest during the Cuban Missile crisis,
IMHO.

pool101

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Zaragosa AFB Spain, They sent us home from School and the Whole base went on Lock Down.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
19 years and 11 months before I was born. However, 9/11 for me was a similar experience I was in my high school public speaking class. After the class was over out in the hallway a guy told me what had happened and I told him he must be joking even know logically no such joke would make sense. It's hard for our brains to process information like that right away.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Social science class in HS, but Columbine effected me more....I had two daughters in HS during that occurrence, I remember everything about that day. Then Martin Luther King, then Vietmam and....now.

Last edited:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was in 4th grade. Funny, I vividly remember the teachers reaction to the announcement over the speakers, but don't remember if we got let out of school or not.

Joe Pickens

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was a senior in high school and just like today it was on a Friday. We were getting ready to go to a pep rally in the gym since we had a basketball game that night. It was announced over the intercom that after the rally the school superintendent had an important announcement to make. You could tell by the tone of their voice that this was something big.

As I watched the pep rally you could tell that no one was really into it as we all knew that some very disturbing news was coming as soon as the rally was over. As I waited and tried to guess what the news was my best guess was that we were going to war. Little did I know they were going to tell me that my hero had been killed.

Now you might think it strange in this day and age that a president could actually be your hero when it had always been Mickey Mantle, Vada Pinson or Frank Robinson, but JFK was my hero right up there with my sports hero's too. It was a sad time in my life as I stayed glued to the TV and saw Jack Ruby kill Oswald on live TV which is another thing I will never forget.

Pearlnick

Registered
JFK's assanation was far before my time, however, I vividly remember on September 11, 2001, my 9th grade teacher telling us "you will never forget this day and how it impacts your future." while she was sobbing. That hour class will forever be remembered.

Sorry for the sidetrack.

junkbond

The dog ate my stroke.
Silver Member
The announcement came over the PA while I was sitting in an avionics class at NATTC Memphis. No more classes that day, and no one was allowed to leave the base for a few days.

A year later I was in Viet Nam. I've often wondered how that might have turned out different in JFK was still in charge instead of LBJ.

madhatter44

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was in Jr. high school at the time and they called us all into the auditorium. I for one was quite upset. I had met Kennedy in the fall of 1960 during his campaign. He was giving a Campaign speech on Fordham Road in the Bronx. My grandfather was on the Democratic Committee in NYC and helped arrange the proceedings. I was able to sit on the stage with all the politicians and Kennedy.
My grandfather told me that if I asked Kennedy for a silver dollar he would give me one.
At the first opportunity I had to speak with Kennedy and shake his hand I told him what my grandfather had told me. He laughed and said he did not have any silver dollars but he reached in his pocket and gave me a quarter,
I still have that quarter in a case and when I see it I fondly remember 2 great men.

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This happened almost exactly year before i was born. Nov. 25 64. Always remember family talking about this horrible event growing up many times. Sad indeed and jfk was the last of great democratic president a moderate may i add!

TCIndepMo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Raytown South HIgh School, Raytown Missouri. Fifth hour study hall in the lower level classroom.
Noticed they had the school intercom on in all rooms. THAT had never happened before, so I assumed something big had happened. Had Cuba/Russia gotten PO'ed about the recent "missle crisis" or what? Were planes being shot down, troops landing on beaches, nuclear missles already in the air? All of that was considered possible at the time.
Playing on the intercom was a live radio feed with the details getting worse every few minutes. This was the first world class shocking event to happen to my generation and few knew how to react.
My upcoming 16th birthday (with the accompanying driver's test) on November 25 slid to second place on my list of stuff to worry about.
Very bad day for America.

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
John Burroughs High School, Clark Street, Burbank, CA. Sally Beaton's English Class when we got the word. When we got the word President JF Kennedy was shot to death.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was a freshman at Oklahoma U. Walking across campus when someone yelled out that the President had been shot. I couldn't believe it, he was such a beloved leader. I went to my room and turned on the TV. All the kids in the dorm had their TV's on. That's when Walter Cronkite said President Kennedy was dead. It was to be the first of many shocks to shake our nation.

No question, Vietnam and our countries history would have been far different if he survived. Kennedy was a great leader and a MAN among men! He saved us from a nuclear disaster during the Cuban missile crisis. A general gloom prevailed across America and all over free world. Kennedy represented hope for people everywhere. Very similar to how we all felt after 9/11, another tragedy that shook the psyche of America.

Last edited:

xplor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was working in chevrolet dealership. Earier in the morning we were talking about Mannlicher-Carcano Rifles you could buy for less than $14 dollars. With 6.5 rounds we thought they were useless and not accurate.