which cloth?

brigeton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My home table has Championship tour edition that is about 5 years old. I play tournaments at the local VFW and they just recovered their tables with Championship Mercury Ultra. I go there and the ball draws twice as far as my home table. My table is a little faster though. Is it the difference between tour edition and mercury or the difference between old and new, or both? I'm probably going to recover my table soon and wondering which to pick.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My home table has Championship tour edition that is about 5 years old. I play tournaments at the local VFW and they just recovered their tables with Championship Mercury Ultra. I go there and the ball draws twice as far as my home table. My table is a little faster though. Is it the difference between tour edition and mercury or the difference between old and new, or both? I'm probably going to recover my table soon and wondering which to pick.
In my experience new cloth spins/draws better. Its a tad slicker so no spin wears-off prior to contact. MU is good cloth, best barbox cloth out there imo. Its a woolen blend that plays much like worsted.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The polish on the balls also affects the amount of spin the CB will use.
A gritty surface will wear off the spin faster leaving less draw.
A finely polished surface will spin longer giving more draw from the same stroke.

brigeton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the balls on my table are cleaner than the ones at that place. The other pool hall I play at has championship tour edition like I have at home. I get a little more draw there as well. I guess I'll go with new tour edition.

The tour edition draws like a mother when first installed also. Never played on MU.