Which is a better spot

Justin Bergman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It makes all the difference on the two players speed. Dennis Orcollo can give Alex the 6 ball one set and win 11-0 easily and then next set Alex could give spot Dennis and win. Game spot means more the higher the level of player. If two C players are playing, they might get two shoot at the 8 ball a couple times a game, also they don't have to worry about playing shape on the 9. The table, pockets, etc means a lot also. The 8 ball is a much bigger spot on a 4inch Diamond table than on a 4.5 bucket gold crown with new cloth obviously.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
You aren't the only one in this thread that's sleeping what the ball spot is in the OP.
.....it's the CALL 8
Big difference from the WILD 8

Called 8 snaps cross side (provided you call it and they are racking it second ball like they should be) frequently. In a race to 9, I wouldnt be surprised at all to see it go and I would be calling that every time I break.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Called 8 snaps cross side (provided you call it and they are racking it second ball like they should be) frequently. In a race to 9, I wouldnt be surprised at all to see it go and I would be calling that every time I break.

The 8 rarely goes on the break when racked like that. Stipulate if the person braking has the 8 and it goes on the break it gets spotted. If the person giving the weight breaks it in it stays down. That's the way I have usually seen it played.

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
The 8 rarely goes on the break when racked like that. Stipulate if the person braking has the 8 and it goes on the break it gets spotted. If the person giving the weight breaks it in it stays down. That's the way I have usually seen it played.

Not rarely at all. There is a guy that Paul (OP) and I are mutual friends with. He would give me the called 8 and the breaks, races to 5. Ive called it and made it cross side twice in the last 3 sets he gave me that spot. I no longer get the breaks (and I think I still need them).

If you break from the opposite side rail and start moving in depending on where the 8 is going you can get it close.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not rarely at all. There is a guy that Paul (OP) and I are mutual friends with. He would give me the called 8 and the breaks, races to 5. Ive called it and made it cross side twice in the last 3 sets he gave me that spot. I no longer get the breaks (and I think I still need them).

If you break from the opposite side rail and start moving in depending on where the 8 is going you can get it close.

9 footer or 7 footer?

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Four games on the wire is a lot more of a spot on a bar table to a good player than the 7. Think about it he would have to beat you 10 to 5 to win! He has to win 2 to 1, do you really think getting the seven will win you more than four games in a race to ten set? How many times do you get to the seven that you can't run out? How many times are you going to make the seven on the break or out of turn? I would bet that any B or better player would get a bigger benefit from four games on the wire than the seven ball.

I think you're right. But the more he wanted to give up games, the more I wanted the 7. ;)

androd

androd
Silver Member
It's not close! Games on the wire show every race, spot ball sometimes, sometimes never.
Rod

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
9 footer or 7 footer?

9 foot gc3. I think it would be easier on the 9 footer. Less of a chance of it colliding with something due to the extra real estate. Plus a side pocket on a 9 footer is larger then on a Valley barbox.

I will snap some racks at home tonight on my 8 footer. See if I can get it on video. Should be able to do it within 10 racks. Will try it with magic rack and hand racking.

Last edited:

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9 foot gc3. I think it would be easier on the 9 footer. Less of a chance of it colliding with something due to the extra real estate. Plus a side pocket on a 9 footer is larger then on a Valley barbox.

I will snap some racks at home tonight on my 8 footer. See if I can get it on video. Should be able to do it within 10 racks. Will try it with magic rack and hand racking.

I play on 9 foot GC's and I find it is not that common. That's why I asked.

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
I play on 9 foot GC's and I find it is not that common. That's why I asked.

How often are you faced with said situation? Do you get this spot a lot? Do you give it a lot? If you give the 8ball is your opponent knowledgeable enough to know to break from the opposite side rail and attempt it?

It's not that common if you arent attempting it. If you are trying to do it, you can get it going in that direction purposefully. If I'm getting this spot, the only time I try to not snap that ball cross side is if I'm coming up completely dry consistently. Then I will switch spots because it's more about just making any ball and staying at the table.

Regardless of all that. See my disclaimer.

Last edited:

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How often are you faced with said situation? Do you get this spot a lot? Do you give it a lot? If you give the 8ball is your opponent knowledgeable enough to know to break from the opposite side rail and attempt it?

It's not that common if you arent attempting it. If you are trying to do it, you can get it going in that direction purposefully.

I play a high rated player almost every Saturday and Sunday. I get the called 8. Races to 7. Winner break and I do break from the opposite side but not from the rail. I get better action on the break not breaking from the rail and tend to scratch less. I'll try it though.

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
I play a high rated player almost every Saturday and Sunday. I get the called 8. Races to 7. Winner break and I do break from the opposite side but not from the rail. I get better action on the break not breaking from the rail and tend to scratch less. I'll try it though.

Try it screwing around. Not sure if english helps it or not, but I hit low center and try to hit it full, then move in about 2 balls width depending where the ball is going.

Edit to add: When I say not rarely, I mean in comparison to a 9ball snapping. Should be able to get in within 10 racks though, which definitely wont hurt your chances provided other balls are going where you are breaking from.

Last edited:

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OT, but Mike Zuglan once gave me a spot of "9 ball to top rail". All I had to do was make the 9 ball touch the top rail on any shot. I was a solid C player at the time and got destroyed.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Two players, with a little difference in ability where one needs a spot to keep the game of nine ball close so both players have to play well to win. Race to nine, 2 games on the wire or the called eight ball. Which spot is better in your opinion to give or receive.

On the same subject, which would be better, Either of the two you state above or the better player gives you the break and ball in hand but no cheesing in the 9 on the ball in hand shot after the break? Race to 7, no games given.

Two players, with a little difference in ability where one needs a spot to keep the game of nine ball close so both players have to play well to win. Race to nine, 2 games on the wire or the called eight ball. Which spot is better in your opinion to give or receive.

I would not want to give up any type of a spot unless the other player was noticeable weaker then me, and if that were the case, then I would allow them to chose (the called 8, or 2 games on the wire, or maybe both, in a race to 9). If I were playing a stronger player (then me), then I would rather have 2 games on the wire, in a race to 9.

Last edited:
It depends on the players speed

I would be interested to know what the biggest spot that you ever gave to a player. I remember seeing you give a guy down in Cape Girardeau something like the last 5, or the 6 out and the breaks (I remember him telling me that it was something like that, that you were spotting him). I think it was back in maybe 2005 (can't remember the exact year). I remember you easily beat him. He was probably an average C level player (which in Cape, C players do not play that bad). I think you were usually with Chuck Raulston (on the occasions that I seen you there).

Last edited:

AF pool guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Question, if you're getting the call 8 and you call it on the break as some have suggested and it doesn't go but something else does, do you get to shoot again, or do you lose your turn since you missed the called shot?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Question, if you're getting the call 8 and you call it on the break as some have suggested and it doesn't go but something else does, do you get to shoot again, or do you lose your turn since you missed the called shot?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I believe BCA rules state that nothing has to be called in 9 ball unless stipulated before hand. If you stipulate the 8 must be called then only the 8 must be called and none of the other balls at any time of the match.