Which predator shaft deflects the most?

DJordan816

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm wanting to buy a predator shaft for my schon but I'm not used to LD and the 314-2 shafts completely throw me off. I'm thinking that of all the shafts predator had made some of them have to deflect more than others and I'd like to find something in between a solid maple shaft and the 314-2. Also not a big fan of the hit of the 314-2s they seem too soft and hollow to me and I'd like something more solid. Any recommendations?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm wanting to buy a predator shaft for my schon but I'm not used to LD and the 314-2 shafts completely throw me off. I'm thinking that of all the shafts predator had made some of them have to deflect more than others and I'd like to find something in between a solid maple shaft and the 314-2. Also not a big fan of the hit of the 314-2s they seem too soft and hollow to me and I'd like something more solid. Any recommendations?

I use a Predator FAT 314-2 shaft which is 13.2mm. To me, it feels more like a regular maple shaft than the others. It doesn't feel as "hollow" to me and plays a little stiffer. It still doesn't feel like what you would get from a regular shaft of the same diameter because they all have a "hollow" spot inside.

And, I prefer a thicker shaft due to the closed bridge style I use. Skinny shafts don't feel right to me in a closed bridge.

Marky Mark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Vantage has the highest deflection compared to the Z3, 314-3 & Revo. With that said, I still prefer it over the first 2 I just mentioned. I like the stiffness of the shaft and the deflection suits my aim/play.

I will be buying a Revo soon and I suggest trying that out if you have the means to. Some folks here that were picking on the Revo are now using it. So there is something or there are some things to be desired about it.

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
Go for the Vantage, but they are still quite low in deflection if u compared to regular maple shafts. They kinda fall right between but more a LD shaft than a regular maple shaft.

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So why do you want one if the deflection characteristics are a problem? Surely that's the biggest difference between these and what you are used to.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
None. Look elsewhere. I've been playing predator since the late 90's until now. Had almost every one of their shafts under the sun, except their new stuff released in the last 3 years. I can put on the very early 314's from the 90's, and a brand new Z-2, and even the predator break shaft from the BK-1 I have, and play almost the same with all of them with almost no aiming adjustment. But if I try a regular shaft, I miss every shot by 2 diamonds.

If I gave an arbitrary squirt scale of 1 being highest squirt of a traditional maple shaft with an ivory ferrule and 10 being a lowest squirt predator Z-2, it would go like this:

1: Traditional Scruggs ivory ferrule maple shaft
2: Old school regular Meucci shaft, regular McDermott shaft
7: McDermott I-3
9: Predator 314-1, 314-2, Predator BK-1 Break shaft
10: Predator Z-1, Z-2

These are my personal experiences with shafts I have played extensively, and not only test hit.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So why do you want one if the deflection characteristics are a problem? Surely that's the biggest difference between these and what you are used to.

That would be my question also, why are you trying to buy an LD shaft when you don't want to play with an LD shaft? Just to be like the cool kids? If you want to try a more deflection LD shaft, try a Players HXT, the larger diameter one. I think it's 12.7 or 12.9 mm. It is a solid shaft with pretty good hid feel and deflects more than OB or Predator.

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
players/pure x hxt shaft. Good mix between standard maple and the high octane low deflection cues out there.

DJordan816

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the replys. To answer some people's questions I'm looking for something lower deflection than a regular maple shaft but not as low as a 314-2. Trying to ease myself into the whole LD thing one small step at a time if that makes sense.

Stew_Pidaso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the replys. To answer some people's questions I'm looking for something lower deflection than a regular maple shaft but not as low as a 314-2. Trying to ease myself into the whole LD thing one small step at a time if that makes sense.

Why ease into it? If your goal is to eventually play with a "full LD" shaft, you will have to go through at least 2 if not more learning curves. I switched to LD about 17 years ago and it was easier than you think to make the adjustments. Your best bet is to make the switch to a "full LD" shaft now and just practice more until you get the adjustment down. That way you only have one period of learning instead of doing it for this "in between" shaft and then another or finally an actual LD shaft. It will take effort either way, it just seems sucking it up and making the full transition now will be the best route.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:poke:

None of this makes any sense to me.

Pick out your favorite tip and pick the diameter shaft you like the most.

Once you know that, then you can pick a shaft or make adjustments on your shaft.

Remember, the tip diameter might not be the same size as your shaft diameter.

Like the Vantage...(LOL) the tip is 12.9mm but the shaft is 13.25mm.

Good luck!

:p

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found that the Mezz WD 700 (now WX 700) had a little more deflection than Predator shafts, and a lot better feel to it.

mister__p

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

How long have you used the 314-2 ? and when you say it throws you off, do you mean your game is down the tubes using one ?

If you use something for long enough, you will get used to it. As the physical and dynamic properties of LD shafts is different to solid shafts, there will be a difference in feel.

I've used 314-2's, Z2's, a Z3 and also a 3C vantage for 3C. I also play snooker so I'm always switching between different cues but I don't have an issue with the feel because time has allowed me to get used to them.

It sounds to me like you need to do the same. As someone already mentioned, Vantage might give you the feel you are after.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
The Predator stuff, if you don't generally us LD type shafts will take some getting used to.
Looking for the "in between" shaft if you're set on a Predator I'd say try the Vantage. But if
you're truly looking for the "in between" I'd say try the McDermott G-Core. Personally I
don't like it because it is in between, I think they market it as as a high performance shaft,
or possibly try the McDermott I-2 if you'd like a little more of the LD properties.
Find a G-Core and try it out, it sounds like what you might be looking for.

14.1 Forever

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

McDermott has just announced a new shaft "iPRO - High Performance Shaft".

It is not yet on their web site but my understanding it will be released in August. You might want to watch for it.

buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really like the Jacoby Edge

Stiff hit like a Schon (which is one of my usual players)

LJhookem14

My friends call me LJ
Silver Member

If you want the best LD shafts that feels solid and gives instant feedback get a Mezz ExPro. 12.5mm. If you prefer a little more stiffness than go with the Hybrid Pro 2.

If you want the same hit and feedback but actually don't prefer an extreme LD shaft then get the Wx700. 12.5mm

If you prefer a thinner shaft w/ conical taper get the WX900. 12mm

You won't use any other shafts after shooting with a Mezz shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the only thing low deflection shafts do is deflect money out of your pocket.
snake oil and a gimmick.
learn how to play with a good old maple shaft.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the only thing low deflection shafts do is deflect money out of your pocket.
snake oil and a gimmick.
learn how to play with a good old maple shaft.

It's been pretty well proven LD shafts are not a gimmick, they do what they are said to do.

Now if it will make a specific player play better, or if that player will like how the hit is, that is up to the player using it.

I have seen many players miss and don't know why they miss, then go to an LD shaft and make more shots with them. That is how quite a few players I know found out about deflection, until I showed them where the cueball was hitting with side spin using their shafts, they really had no idea that aiming had to be adjusted when using spin. I noticed someone I know missing a shot that should be pretty easy, I asked if he was using spin. Then I setup a straight shot up table with spin to show him where the cueball was hitting with his shaft. As I was doing it, 2 or 3 other players gathered around and were amazed that putting side spin on the cueball made it miss the object ball by almost a full ball across the table.