Which rule book to go by?? BCA??

Renegade4006

The "Bar Rule and Dirty Pool" thread has me wondering, is the Billiard Congress of America rule book (Billiards: The Official Rules and Records Book, 2021/2022 Edition) THE rule book to go by to learn the correct and proper rules of play?? Or is there another book that is preferred??

Played on bar boxes for years, just casual beer & 8-ball stuff. Wanting to hit more local spots, so wanting to be better informed.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The "Bar Rule and Dirty Pool" thread has me wondering, is the Billiard Congress of America rule book (Billiards: The Official Rules and Records Book, 2021/2022 Edition) THE rule book to go by to learn the correct and proper rules of play?? Or is there another book that is preferred??

Played on bar boxes for years, just casual beer & 8-ball stuff. Wanting to hit more local spots, so wanting to be better informed.
The BCA rule book has the World Standardized Rules which all national federations are supposed to be using.

In the US, the organized bar leagues mostly use their own sets of rules, but at least one league, the ACS, uses the WSR.

Of the other US leagues, the best set to consider is the one used by the BCAPL -- no connection today to the BCA -- which is part of the CSI company -- Cue Sports International. Their 125-page rule book has a lot of discussion of various cases and interpretations. Their rules are based on an earlier version of the WSR. Here is their website where you can get the rules for free:

And here are the World Standardized Rules which is what Matchroom uses for their events with some modification of the break rules:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Every local spot has their own set of rules, so I would highly suggest checking when you go there to clarify what set of rules for whatever game you are playing.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Every local spot has their own set of rules, so I would highly suggest checking when you go there to clarify what set of rules for whatever game you are playing.
True, and bars tend to be a lot more random/provincial than pool halls. Bars may have leagues and you might be able to get a game with "league rules" agreed to which will have fewer surprises.

Even with "league rules" agreed to, lots of league players have no idea what their own league says -- just look at the typical rules thread on FaceBook or reddit.

In that sort of situation, watch what the natives do and nod and smile a lot. Let "OK" be your motto.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have several players in the league I run that have been playing for years and still don't know the bcapl rules. I get phone calls almost every league night.

Most recent call had to do with balls jumped off of the table. They insisted it gets respotted. I told them, no, it is ball in hand for the opponent and the ball stays down. Stubbornness on their part continues until I text them the section in the rule book. No one wants to read the rule book.

I kind of blame the team captains. If you are a captain, I consider it your duty to read and know the rules. Re read and refresh your memory occasionally like I do.

zetetikos

D
The BCA rule book has the World Standardized Rules which all national federations are supposed to be using.

In the US, the organized bar leagues mostly use their own sets of rules, but at least one league, the ACS, uses the WSR.

Of the other US leagues, the best set to consider is the one used by the BCAPL -- no connection today to the BCA -- which is part of the CSI company -- Cue Sports International. Their 125-page rule book has a lot of discussion of various cases and interpretations. Their rules are based on an earlier version of the WSR. Here is their website where you can get the rules for free:

And here are the World Standardized Rules which is what Matchroom uses for their events with some modification of the break rules:

Does acs use all ball fouls, i notice that seems to be the most uncommon rule in the us?

tomatoshooter

It really bothers me that the BCA still keeps this page available on their website. People find it and cite it fairly often.

I agree, it's annoying when outdated information is the first thing you find. I scanned the rules briefly and did not notice any anomalies. Is there a specific rule that has been changed? Around here most people play ball in hand anywhere on the table after a scratch on the break in 8 ball. I think that's a BCAPL rule.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree, it's annoying when outdated information is the first thing you find. I scanned the rules briefly and did not notice any anomalies. Is there a specific rule that has been changed? Around here most people play ball in hand anywhere on the table after a scratch on the break in 8 ball. I think that's a BCAPL rule.
Correct, that would be the BCAPL rule. The BCA rule would be behind the line on a scratch on the break, which is the World Standardized Rules.