• Regular Shaft

Votes: 233 49.1%
  • Other

Votes: 64 13.5%

• Total voters

Ilike1pocket

Registered
:)I like a stiff hitting Maple Shaft.

No the pros usualy have their favorite Custom Cue Maker rebuild and make shafts for the cues they play and get paid to play with.

When someone jumps up to the table and beats Mosconis High Run with a tricked up shaft I MIGHT take notice.:)

JIMMY L

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still use hard maple shafts. I wish I would have fallen in love with the new LD shafts, then I could just buy them and slap on some ringwork and knock a year off of my wood turning schedule. I personally still prefer a nice dense hard maple shaft. I love the feel and feedback. Chris.
"dense hard maple shaft" I always end up going back to this type of shaft no matter what. It is just what works for me

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
No Tricked out SHAFT for me.
devil.gif

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WOW! i really was not expecting regular shafts to be leading the way but I myslef use the shafts that came with my cue. Very very intresting poll.

barking

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i like old, hard ,dense maple. get an old house cue and get a cuemaker to make a shaft. old dufferins shafts are my favs lol. hate balsa shafts like this NEW wood.

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
I ticked the "other" box because for the last 20 years, I've been playing with a birdseye pro taper shaft Jerry Franklin made for my Southwest, original ring work of course - he was a bit taken aback when I showed up at his shop the day after I bought the cue and told him I don't like the taper of his original straight grain shafts. Now, after all these years, I've had one of the latter re-tapered (got it back two days ago), copying the taper of a Tascarella shaft I sent in along with it. Again, Laurie Franklin was a bit surprised, and now in all fairness I must say it doesn't play quite like the Tasc shaft, but the improvement, to me, is very significant indeed (whippier, but the deflection behaviour is more gradually consistent/less erratic from slow to maximum speed when I use a lot of side spin - which on the more slippery modern cloths is more important even than it used to be on the woolier cloths 20 years ago). Plus I still get that wonderful hit and feel of a Southwest. :cool:

As to LD shafts, I have a very simple theory on the subject: pros use them a) because of sponsorship, b) because they play on slippery new cloth more often than the average amateur, and c) because LD shafts are more forgiving when it comes to minor mishits attempting to shoot center ball (no side spin intended), i.e. the make percentage goes up, and one learns to live with minor positional errors (which, playing on new cloth, one will have to get used anyhow). Moral: pros aren't ever "off aim", but even their muscles twitch once in a while when the pressure is on. The deflection one gets shooting with side spin is irrelevant to anyone practicing and competing with such regularity - it'll take some adjustment no matter how much or little a cue deflects (and all cues deflect - best to pick one that does so in a consistent manner, i.e. gradually),

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Last edited:

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
I like the original shafts on my original Meuccis, my Pechauers, my Rich cues, and others.
I also like the OB shafts and the X shafts, but my favorite of all is the original 314 before the cat logo.

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Omen

I love the way hard maple plays with an ivory ferrule and a m/s tip. Pete Ohman makes a fantastic playing cue and his shafts are top tier. I never had the need to try a LD shaft useing his shafts. I will have 5 of them to choose from in upcoming weeks. I plan to post pictures of the cue I had him restore and refinish for me these last two months. It should show up this week on my door step!

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the 314-2 and OB1's alot and 75% of the pros play with predator shafts.--Leonard

I have used Pred & OB1 but prefer the feed back of a Maple shaft. Plus the taper JoeyInCali makes really feels superior to the LD's.

By the way Leonard where did you come up with that 75% figure?

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know at one point it was 65% of pros used a Predator product,not necessarily there shafts but could be there BK2 break cue or there jumper or any Predator product.A high percentage uses there shafts as far as 75% using there product,sounds about right to me.

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know at one point it was 65% of pros used a Predator product,not necessarily there shafts but could be there BK2 break cue or there jumper or any Predator product.A high percentage uses there shafts as far as 75% using there product,sounds about right to me.

PLAYED WITH CUSTOM CUES FOR YEARS AND I STILL GO BACK TO PLAYING MY BEST POOL WITH THOSE OLD 1ST GENERATION PREDATOR CUES. THERE IS ALLOT OF TRUTH TO THERE CUES. THEY JUST SIMPLIFY THE GAME AND THE HIT IS GREAT! ALSO THERE IS NOT A CUE THAT CAN MATCH THE PERFORMANCE WITH INSIDE ENGLISH AND CUT SHOTS! :thumbup:

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PLAYED WITH CUSTOM CUES FOR YEARS AND I STILL GO BACK TO PLAYING MY BEST POOL WITH THOSE OLD 1ST GENERATION PREDATOR CUES. THERE IS ALLOT OF TRUTH TO THERE CUES. THEY JUST SIMPLIFY THE GAME AND THE HIT IS GREAT! ALSO THERE IS NOT A CUE THAT CAN MATCH THE PERFORMANCE WITH INSIDE ENGLISH AND CUT SHOTS! :thumbup:
I'm with you on that one,even Tony Robles said he never thought playing inside english could be that easy but with a Predator its just that much easier.My greatest success has always been with a Predator shaft:smile:

midstroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been shooting pool for years. When predator first came out i told people they are a scam. My practice partner bought a predator cue about two years ago. I shot with it a bit when he first bought it and hated it. He convinced me to use it for a month so i did. Now i own a predator sp w/314 2 and dig it. Now when i get my patrick custom cue will mostly use his shaft im sure. Heard a bunch of praise about his shafts. Mid

asiasdad

Banned
I use the shafts that came with my cue:

Mike Lambros New Ultra Shaft.

Details:
12.75 mm Lambros Taper
Folded Laminated Matrix Technology Construction Folds
to create a 5 piece star laminated maple shaft - Patent Pending
Water Buffalo tip

Shooting Properties:
Ultra Low Deflection
Extremely Solid Hit w/ Excellent Feel and Ultimate Control

fatsix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer a cash ferrule-less shaft over the other LD shafts. Much better feel.

RBC

Deceased
I play with an OB Classic Pro.

It feels and hits like a solid maple shaft (because it is), and still has the low cue ball squirt our cue shafts are known for.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I've always used the shaft that came with the cue. But in the case of my Ginas, I'd called Ernie's shafts anything but "regular". :D