White dots in the epoxy finish

Cyclone

I use a super slow UV resistant surfboard epoxy, it flows out and the only issues I have are bits of dust. I need better dust collection. I sand it out and then super glue. Its super durable, I have one drunken knucklehead customer that manages to ding up his cue while shooting lights out (Waco Kid) but all other cues seem to hold up beautifully.

Cyclone

Thats my pals nickname not his username here. If you play a lot in ATL you will know who I’m talking about.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
I use a super slow UV resistant surfboard epoxy, it flows out and the only issues I have are bits of dust. I need better dust collection. I sand it out and then super glue. Its super durable, I have one drunken knucklehead customer that manages to ding up his cue while shooting lights out (Waco Kid) but all other cues seem to hold up beautifully.

Pretty sure I got the epoxy figured out. I was waiting until I did the second cue to see if I didn’t just get lucky on the first. I’ll post in more detail soon. Still having the issue with the Solarez but after speaking with the company I will try again.

I’ve watched videos of carmakers just slapping it on and it came out fine. Skilll, experience, magic, I don’t know.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
So far so good on the epoxy. I have done three cues with great results. Two of them are Ebony which really show the flaws.

I mix the epoxy and put the cup in the vacuum jar. This is on a candle warmer to warm the epoxy as I apply the vacuum for about 5 minutes. Then I apply it normally, smooth it out and hit it with the heat gun.

I will update with my Solarez results soon.

IMG_8104.jpeg

IMG_8364.jpeg

Last edited:

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a very similar issue with polycrylic trying to add a layer of UV protection on certain woods. I would apply it and about 20 minutes later these tiny white dots would appears. I believe it has something to do with the humidity in the air as it was raining outside that day.

I've used it on dry days without issue, but it still caught me off guard since my process is always the same. This probably adds zero value to your issue but I thought it was worth mentioning.