Who do you think is the most naturally talented pro?

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Shannon daullton would probably fit this description. Never practices as far as I know and still plays great. Pretty sure he had been dormant for a while before facing Efren in the finals at Galveston several years ago. One of the straighest strokes out there.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hard to answer unless you saw them from the time they started. Natural to me implies they took to the game like a duck to H20 and played at a high-level quick. I know that Billy Thorpe was in action when he was like 11-12. That's probably a combo of talent and obsessive play. Keith was another prodigy but like Billy, Keith parlayed talent and drive to get on top. Kinda the universal "get good" formula isn't it? Some talent and the ol' half-million balls.

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
Come on lol...let's be real here.

Must have never known him. Definitely one of the most naturally gifted players I've ever seen. Hardly ever practiced and became Junior National Champion. He'll always be one of the big "what if" guys in pool.

Brags

Banned
Last edited:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the best player is the most talented. As far as I'm concerned that's Dennis or maybe Alex.

The most talented is a different subject, DO might work harder on his game than anyone on planet earth ,Alex however is on the list I believe,, another not mentioned is Corey has loads of natural talent I think in some aspects that's hindered him IMHO if he put in the time like say DO he might have been as good as there ever was

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
naturals

The most naturally gifted players I have ever seen in my life were Earl and Rodney. Like somebody said, they make the game look easy. They both play like they were born for it.

O'SulliReyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's got to be either Efren Reyes or Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Efren is the best pool player of all time, plays world-class/near world-class carom, and plays snooker at a high amateur-level standard. His best years according to him was when he was in his 20s, and that means he was already past his prime when he came to the US in the 1980s. The fact that he can still hang with the best players in the world today in his 60s says a lot. With the sheer amount of table knowledge and creativity he possesses, he will still be able to wipe the floor with shortstops well into his 70s.

And then you have Ronnie O'Sullivan. Made his first century break at 10; his first 147 at 15. Youngest ever ranking event winner at 17 years old. Holds the all-time record of 877 competitive century breaks as well as most competitive 147 breaks (13). His most notable achievement to me is his 147 break during the 1997 World Championships which he completed at 5 minutes and 20 seconds, a record no one will be able to break. He plays so fast because his position play is so good that he almost always ends up with easy shots.

What exactly are these two naturally talented at? Quite simply, Efren and Ronnie are the best when it comes to cueing through the ball consistently. Not only can they shoot very straight, but they can also get a lot of reaction from the cue ball with very minimal effort. Not only that, their table knowledge is unparalleled. Efren has the best pool brain and Ronnie has the best snooker brain.

Last edited:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Chan Whitt Jr. Rip
Tyler Strawn Rip

Shane McMinn

all boy wonders

between Shane and Tyler they had an ungodly amount of Jr's titles and Tyler got 4th in Spain and Shane got 3rd in Japan repectively. Shanes placing is the highest of any american in world Jrs. Both were 10 speeds in tulsa by their teenage years and were matching up and holding their own and beating top players and road agents.

Tylers still the most "natural" player i've ever seen in my short time on earth.

Tho again like a few have mentioned natural has alot of grey area as both Shane and Tyler probably hit a million balls already by the time they were teens....

Shane reminds me alot of Alex.....light hearted but sometimes lacks a little cold hearted seriousness a la Crane......its been awesome to see him continue to grow as a player and a person, he definately has what it takes to be one of the worlds best if he wants it to be in my opinion.

-Greyghost

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
It's got to be either Efren Reyes or Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Efren is the best pool player of all time, plays world-class/near world-class carom, and plays snooker at a high amateur-level standard. His best years according to him was when he was in his 20s, and that means he was already past his prime when he came to the US in the 1980s. The fact that he can still hang with the best players in the world today in his 60s says a lot. With the sheer amount of table knowledge and creativity he possesses, he will still be able to wipe the floor with shortstops well into his 70s.

And then you have Ronnie O'Sullivan. Made his first century break at 10; his first 147 at 15. Youngest ever ranking event winner at 17 years old. Holds the all-time record of 877 competitive century breaks as well as most competitive 147 breaks (13). His most notable achievement to me is his 147 break during the 1997 World Championships which he completed at 5 minutes and 20 seconds, a record no one will be able to break. He plays so fast because his position play is so good that he almost always ends up with easy shots.

What exactly are these two naturally talented at? Quite simply, Efren and Ronnie are the best when it comes to cueing through the ball consistently. Not only can they shoot very straight, but they can also get a lot of reaction from the cue ball with very minimal effort. Not only that, their table knowledge is unparalleled. Efren has the best pool brain and Ronnie has the best snooker brain.

If we're going off those qualities then it would have to be Worst by a light year.

Owns the 3cushion world title for 15 years or what not then just switches to pool and destroys everyone.

Then dies at 37.....if he lived nominal age he'd be a house hold name like mosconi effren and earl and Ronnie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PocketSpeed11

AzB Long Member
Silver Member
Nope. The question is most talented not most learned. From the current crop Shaw looks to be one of the most naturally talented.

Why are so many people thinking that Shaw is so naturally talented? His father was a pocket billiards pro and he has been playing since he was a little kid. Looks like a lot of hard work and excellent guidance to me.

"Natural" talent is actually quite controversial. Science has almost obliterated the concept when it pertains to most things. Of course, some people are better cognitively-equipped than others, but the key here is hard work.

But if I had to pick somebody, it would be somebody who attained an elite level rather quickly. I'm thinking somebody like a John Schmidt or Ginky.