Who Is Best Bar Box Player In Usa?

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM said:
Word has it, Hemicudas, that the first place prize is $25,000 guaranteed! Wild horses can't keep me away from this one! :D

JAM

Sold........... In fact, I haven't seen, Young Hoppe, in a few years. I really don't get out much any more but I am going to put this one on my calendar. That number just might be the cup of coffee to wake up every APA 4 and up to come off the stall. Wonder if Surfer Rod even plays any more?

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Under the heading of Current Barbox Champions, I'm surprised that no one mentioned Edwin Montal yet.

Eric

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eric. said:
Under the heading of Current Barbox Champions, I'm surprised that no one mentioned Edwin Montal yet.

Eric

Eric, Probably because the heading says U.S. Edwin is from Canada but plays pretty sporty, so I hear.

LastTwo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best pool someone can possibly play is when they never miss, right? I am guessing players like Matlock rarely ever miss on a barbox. So if Efren was to take up bar pool for about two or three months and get the feel of the tables, whats to stop him from being the king of a barbox? What is the extra ingredient missing from Efren's game that Matlock and Bowman and a few others have?

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best Bar Box Players

Jam,
I try to visit Vernon at least once a week. What is fascinating to me are his stories of when HE played Louie Roberts, Kenny Rhomberg, Bugs Rucker, Ronnie Allen, Nick Varner, etc, etc, etc, and of course Keith. All are/were the legends of pool folklore and his stories include the insight of the story behind the story. He told me about playing Ronnie Allen for the first time. Ronnie was at a pool hall in Chicago or Detroit offering anyone there 11-6 for a $1000 a game. Lot of money back then (and today). Vernon blistered him. After a few hours Ronnie said he wouldn't play him anymore unless they played even. Said he had seen Vernon around the room but never realized he could play.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
hemicudas said:
Eric, Probably because the heading says U.S. Edwin is from Canada but plays pretty sporty, so I hear.

My bad, $Bill. Well, actually, Canada is just a suburb of the U.S., right?

Eric >will catch some crap for that one

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
JAM said:
I can bark, too! :D I don't know if Dave Matlock can beat Jesse Bowman in the year 2005, but I'm not sure if Jesse could have beaten Dave Matlock 20 years ago either!

JAM
This same discussion in a thread came up right before last years DCC. I was hanging out with David for bout an hour (he wasn't in the best of moods after the tournament directors gave Corey & Efren a bye into the final 12 of the 9-ball tournament). Anyways, I told him about the internet postings etc & asked him when the last time someone played him EVEN on a bar table. He told me he couldn't remember. As we were talking, Marcus Chamat walked by and David pointed to him and said, "I gave him the 7 ball a few months back and they have an open invitation for more and haven't been back". That is what the level of difference in a David Matlock is.
I have been around pool for 20 years and sorry to say I haven't ever witnessed Keith match up on a bar table. From the way people speak, I would love to see it. But from my view and the level I have seen them play for cash or in big tournaments...#1 Matlock (the eight ball above everyone) #2 Jesse Bowman #3 Marco Marquez #4 John Schmidt #5 James Baraks. Others making the list--Mark Wilson, Danny Harriman, Whitey Walker, Rusty Brandemeyer (last time he played he made all them go home shaking their heads), Steve McAnich (sp?), Javier Franco and a personal favorite of mine-Coy Lee Nicholson.

huckster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
watchez said:
This same discussion in a thread came up right before last years DCC. I was hanging out with David for bout an hour (he wasn't in the best of moods after the tournament directors gave Corey & Efren a bye into the final 12 of the 9-ball tournament). Anyways, I told him about the internet postings etc & asked him when the last time someone played him EVEN on a bar table. He told me he couldn't remember. As we were talking, Marcus Chamat walked by and David pointed to him and said, "I gave him the 7 ball a few months back and they have an open invitation for more and haven't been back". That is what the level of difference in a David Matlock is.
I have been around pool for 20 years and sorry to say I haven't ever witnessed Keith match up on a bar table. From the way people speak, I would love to see it. But from my view and the level I have seen them play for cash or in big tournaments...#1 Matlock (the eight ball above everyone) #2 Jesse Bowman #3 Marco Marquez #4 John Schmidt #5 James Baraks. Others making the list--Mark Wilson, Danny Harriman, Whitey Walker, Rusty Brandemeyer (last time he played he made all them go home shaking their heads), Steve McAnich (sp?), Javier Franco and a personal favorite of mine-Coy Lee Nicholson.

On any given day the following can be the "best" Jesse Bowman, Johnny Archer, Shannon Daulton, Jason Kirkwood, David Matlock, Corey Duel, and a few other unknowns i.e Jack Hynes) but I was ringside when Jose Parica beat Matlock even 15 ahead for a lot of jelly beans on the small track, and when we traveled with Antonio he offered Matlock to play for "anything" a set on the box and a set on the big table. David did not want to play. The only way you can beat a guy like Matlock is if your break is working and you are string togather fives and sixes every time you get to the table.

I will repeat story about a game Antonio played down south about six years ago. He played the ghost on a box without ball in hand if he did not pocket a ball on the break he lost, oh yea he also spotted the ghost 10 games going to 20!!! and got there after running 13. Anyone else you know want to try that game. Paul Turner told us that after seeing that he wouldn't begin to know what to ask for. Just goes to show us that everyone has an opinon who the best is, but as far as we know the best may be some opium farmer in Turkey who has a Diamond smart table in his home and he is most likely running 30+ racks as I type this.

Huckster

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
LastTwo said:
The best pool someone can possibly play is when they never miss, right? I am guessing players like Matlock rarely ever miss on a barbox. So if Efren was to take up bar pool for about two or three months and get the feel of the tables, whats to stop him from being the king of a barbox? What is the extra ingredient missing from Efren's game that Matlock and Bowman and a few others have?

I have no doubt that if Efren were to really get serious about barbox nineball, it wouldn't be long before he was as good as anyone! I remember when there were at least a dozen people who would have gladly spotted Efren playing one-pocket! Now no one will play him even! He excels at any cue sport he applys himself to!

just more hot air!

Sherm

LastTwo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cuesmith said:
I have no doubt that if Efren were to really get serious about barbox nineball, it wouldn't be long before he was as good as anyone! I remember when there were at least a dozen people who would have gladly spotted Efren playing one-pocket! Now no one will play him even! He excels at any cue sport he applys himself to!

just more hot air!

Sherm

I was just trying to play devil's advocate here, I don't know much about bar pool, which is why I am asking so many questions. I also forgot to take into account the big and heavier cueball.

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
huckster said:
I was ringside when Jose Parica beat Matlock even 15 ahead for a lot of jelly beans on the small track, and when we traveled with Antonio he offered Matlock to play for "anything" a set on the box and a set on the big table. David did not want to play.

Huckster

I put Jose "in the box" almost 20 years ago, playing Danny Jones at the first tournament at the Pheasant Run resort outside of Chicago. Danny wanted a ton of weight but Jose was really playing strong. Jose gave Danny the call 7 and 10 games on the wire racing to 30! To make matters worse, Danny won the first 6 or 7 games! But from there on out, it was ALL Jose! I've never seen better 9-ball in my life than Jose played that night. I used to say that if you locked up all of the top gamblers in the US in a poolroom till one person had all the money, it would be Jose! He comes from behind better than any player I've seen too! In one tournament I saw him win 3 matches from 10-6 down, racing to 11! That can be hard for a stakehorse to sweat!

just more hot air!

Sherm

dogginda9

I need a vacation.
Silver Member
At one of those Williards events I saw Jose come back from 10-1 against Whitey Walker going to 11. This was in 1991 or so. Whitey was playing real good back then. The equipment was horrific and Jose just hit a gear. Awesome comeback. They played on the bar box there and Jose gave him the 7 and it wasn't even close as I remember. :eek:

Lets Get It On

Ok Dave Agrees To Come To Ohio And Play Cory Ten Ball On His Table..only Stipulation Is If You Intend To Tape It He Wants Royalties...so You Got Your Game Just Leave The Cameras Off Or Give Him Some Kickback...please Let Us Know When To Come And How Much We Could Possibly Bet...

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
watchez said:
...I have been around pool for 20 years and sorry to say I haven't ever witnessed Keith match up on a bar table. From the way people speak, I would love to see it. But from my view and the level I have seen them play for cash or in big tournaments...#1 Matlock (the eight ball above everyone) #2 Jesse Bowman #3 Marco Marquez #4 John Schmidt #5 James Baraks. Others making the list--Mark Wilson, Danny Harriman, Whitey Walker, Rusty Brandemeyer (last time he played he made all them go home shaking their heads), Steve McAnich (sp?), Javier Franco and a personal favorite of mine-Coy Lee Nicholson.

The colloquy within this thread reminds me of a popular advertising slogan which was used in TV commercials many years ago.

My dog's bigger than your dog.
My dog's bigger than yours.
My dog's bigger 'cause he....

JAM

Al-fahl Amir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
markcobb1972 said:
Ok Dave Agrees To Come To Ohio And Play Cory Ten Ball On His Table..only Stipulation Is If You Intend To Tape It He Wants Royalties...so You Got Your Game Just Leave The Cameras Off Or Give Him Some Kickback...please Let Us Know When To Come And How Much We Could Possibly Bet...

When Corey gets back from the WPC we will work out a date and an agreement with Dave. amc4

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
JAM said:
The colloquy within this thread reminds me of a popular advertising slogan which was used in TV commercials many years ago.

JAM

What if I don't have a dog? :p

Eric

lunchmoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hemicudas said:
Ain't it da truth. As well as Louie Roberts played the big table, Jimmy (Flyboy) Spears and Bill Stack busted him playing even on the bar box. I had part of Dan Louie when he busted him too.

I played in a bar box tournament this past weekend and Dan Louie was also playing in it. I watched him break and run six racks in a row once and five in a row twice. He can still play on those bar boxes.

Lunchmoney

Mike Templeton

Confidence........
Silver Member
JAM said:

JAM
Ken-L-Ration if I remember correctly.

MT

Mike Templeton

Confidence........
Silver Member
stolz2 said:
I changed my mind, I have decided that im the best bar box player in the USA.....with the right kind of weight.. any one want to give me the 2 out, and the breaks? I have money... :p

Mack
Like my friend says....You need to ask for something you can win with :eek:

MT

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
6+5=11

lunchmoney said:
I played in a bar box tournament this past weekend and Dan Louie was also playing in it. I watched him break and run six racks in a row once and five in a row twice. He can still play on those bar boxes.

Lunchmoney

Dan Louie, running 6+5=11 racks? The over/under on that must have been 11 hours, right???????????