1) Reputation Tim Scruggs/Mike Cochran

2) Playability Blackboar

3) Creativity Drexler

4) Execution Blackboar

5) Longevity Tim Scruggs

6) Customer Satisfaction Tim Scruggs/Mike Cochran

7) Body of work to date Tim Scruggs

8) Design/Technique that has evolved todays cues Don't know

9) Will/IS to make Hall of fame (since all GREATEST deceased have been inducted)Love to see Mike Cochran

10) Craftmanship (For the Hand made non CNC guys) Cory Barnhart

SWN99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tim Scruggs, Richard Black, Bob Runde, Barry Szamboti

*changed from Gus to Barry*

Last edited:

Shizzy319

L&L Billiards
Silver Member
One of the best

I am very surprised that I didn't see anyone name Paul Mottey in any catagory. IMHO he made some of the very best playing cues ever. His execution was also some of the best and though a majority of his work was traditional he was innovative in his use of scrimshaw, segmented handles and the use of lizard wraps which have influenced a lot of current cue makers. Over 25 years in the business he also had longevity.

Ken

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I am very surprised that I didn't see anyone name Paul Mottey in any catagory. IMHO he made some of the very best playing cues ever. His execution was also some of the best and though a majority of his work was traditional he was innovative in his use of scrimshaw, segmented handles and the use of lizard wraps which have influenced a lot of current cue makers. Over 25 years in the business he also had longevity.

Ken

You know something, I have to agree with you in general. Mottey's cues are superb, and it shows that picking three in each of several categories is very tough. Here's something that may have prevented him from getting in some of the categories. A lot of his work was very Szamboti-like, and if someone had to pick a Szamboti, it would be Barry in this survey. That would leave only two selections in every category, a very slim list. But I get your point.

I still remember the 1993 cue show outside Baltimore, when Paul Mottey was there, relatively young in his career. As a matter of fact, Barry Szamboti was there, selling his first cue (Hoppe style) for $1200, and a four point ebony Balabushka for $2500. Mottey's cues looked excellent, and very traditional. I remember thinking this is someone who will be respected in the cuemaking world for quite a while. It just shows what a crowded field the top is.

jrackman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What ever happened to Mike Bender ? or did I miss something over the years as far as his reputation, just wondering.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
What ever happened to Mike Bender ? or did I miss something over the years as far as his reputation, just wondering.

Mike is an ICCS award winning cuemaker with a lengthy body of work. He is certainly worthy of mention in the conversation of the best IMO. Although I don't think Ernie's (Ginacue) cues are known to be consistently fabulous players, I don't see any other living cuemaker out pointing him across all of Ken's categories. I'm looking forward to seeing his 50 year anniversary design. Martin

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member

Ken
Think he would have for sure been in at least two of my categories but I didn't include retired makers...

via Tapatalk

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I'll give it a go based on my opinion and knowledge

1) Reputation
Szamboti, Searing, Schick

2) Playability
Hercek, Mike Webb, Searing

3) Creativity
Thomas Wayne, Samsara, McWhorter(sp)

4) Execution
Searing, Webb, James White

5) Longevity
Ernie G(Gina), Szamboti, Schick

6) Customer Satisfaction
Hercek, Szamboti, Ryan(RAT)

7) Body of work to date
Schick, Ernie G, Southwest

8) Design/Technique that has evolved todays cues
Southwest, Thomas Wayne, ?

9) Will/IS to make Hall of fame (since all GREATEST deceased have been inducted)
Not sure who is in and who isn't

10) Craftmanship (For the Hand made non CNC guys)
Don't know who uses CNC and who doesn't

I like that you mentioned Samsara in the creativity department, Koop - good call on that. I would also say they excel in the execution department. Nobody has even attempted to copy their techniques and I bet if you asked even the top cue maker's they would be very impressed with the more complex cues Samsara has produced.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I've taken hundreds of calls and emails asking me at one time or another who was the greatest (LIVING) cuemaker.

This is a question that I believe will always be subject to one's own opinion.

I'm personal friends with MANY of the possible contenders, and respect all of their talents.

Am I qualified to give the answer? NO?

Being judged by your peer's always showed credibility to me.

So I've asked many of the best Cue Makers this question, and one name came up the most.

But I will give my criteria for everyone to judge for themselves.

I will give (10 ) catagories what I believe the the GREATEST cuemaker should be rated on.

Pick YOUR top 3 cuemakers for each category.

At the end, count which cue maker made the most catagories.

1) Reputation

2) Playability

3) Creativity

4) Execution

5) Longevity

6) Customer Satisfaction

7) Body of work to date

9) Will/IS to make Hall of fame (since all GREATEST deceased have been inducted)

10) Craftmanship (For the Hand made non CNC guys)

Let's here your answers.

Best,

Ken Kerner

Ken,

As a prominent collector, delaer and friend of cuemaker's, of all people, your vote would rank among the highest.

Please tell is YOUR VOTE!!!! I won't hold my breath because I know this would be very political for you - but who would you consider in each category?? Don't chicken out on us now...

Chris

Last edited:

Walkermine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There would be a lot of crickets chirping if that were the case.

I agree.

Below is my take based upon doing business with and having owned their cues.

1) Reputation
Ernie G. (Gina), Schick

2) Playability
Ernie G (Gina), Gilbert, Schick

3) Creativity
Thomas Wayne, Samsara, Manzino

4) Execution
Thomas Wayne, Samsara, Manzino

5) Longevity
Ernie G(Gina), Schick

6) Customer Satisfaction
Ernie G. (Gina), Manzino, Gilbert

7) Body of work to date
Schick, Ernie G. (Gina), Black

Thomas Wayne

9) Will/IS to make Hall of fame
Thomas Wayne should clearly be the next ACA inductee

10) Craftsmanship (For the Handmade non CNC guys)
Gilbert

AK-Stick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Playability:
Mike Bender, Hercek, Searing

Creativity:
Wayne, Hercek, Bender

Execution:
Hercek, Bender, Wayne

Longivity:
Gina, JR, Shick

Customer Statisfaction:
Hercek, Searing, Bender

Body of Work:
Gina, Hercek, Bender

Body of work that has Influnced
Gina, Southwest(look at the copies)

Will make hall of fame
All of them one day

cfrandy

AKA: The Road Runner
Silver Member
Is Marcus Dienst ( Arthur Cues) still alive?

Yes, but unfortunately he would not qualify here...he's NOT an American cuemaker.

IMO, the ACA is dead anyway! Even their website hasn't worked in a very long time!
Their HOF is like the Oscars, the insiders patting each other on the back.
Who cares what the ACA thinks anymore!

cfrandy

AKA: The Road Runner
Silver Member

Playability:
Mike Bender, Hercek, Searing

Creativity:
Wayne, Hercek, Bender

Execution:
Hercek, Bender, Wayne

Longivity:
Gina, JR, Shick

Customer Statisfaction:
Hercek, Searing, Bender

Body of Work:
Gina, Hercek, Bender

Body of work that has Influnced
Gina, Southwest(look at the copies)

Will make hall of fame
All of them one day

Unfortunately the copies being made (mostly Kao Kao Taiwan) do not flatter the original.