Who made a better Hustler James Garner or Paul Newman??

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Gleason?

I have to give the nod to Jackie Gleason as greatest movie Hustler ... Class, All Class.

I've watched "The Hustler" a dozen times, and I've yet to see Gleason's character do any hustling.

Quite unlike "Minnesota" Fats, who was a hustler, and began calling himself "Minnesota Fats" after "The Hustler" came out.

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Garner gets my vote. He was always talking and when he was talking, he was hustling. Newman was smooth, but it didn't come as natural to him as it did Garner, IMO.

Wileydog

Banned
I've watched "The Hustler" a dozen times, and I've yet to see Gleason's character do any hustling.

Quite unlike "Minnesota" Fats, who was a hustler, and began calling himself "Minnesota Fats" after "The Hustler" came out.

When Eddie was way up, and raised the bet to $1,000 a game, Fats hustled him into drinking. After Eddie got drunk, Fats took him for everything.

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't say the match between Fats and Eddie was hustling - it was head hunting.

Sent from my X501_USA_Cricket using Tapatalk 2

sonny_burnett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shooting Gallery might be the worst movie ever. The Latona hottie saved the day. I don't think I understood 2 words the black actor said. Forget his name for obvious reasons.

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Garner was probably a low B player. Newman C. Gleason low A. That's in real life.

Maybe Jay Helfert can answer that ,,, Here an old post/thread in 2010

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=212994&page=4

Jay Helfert Quote:

P.S. I forgot about James Garner, who was the best player in Norman, Oklahoma when he was a young man. I used to play with his brother when I went to school there (I did make it to class once in a while).

Here a picture of James Garner and M. Fats

!BYHqTy!!2k~$(KGrHgoOKiYEjlLmfE,TBKf2HjO8zw~~_12.jpg