Who will win? Earl Strickland vs Efren Reyes January 14-16, 2014

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
That was amazing pool playing! I hate the stream was messed up for many. The chat room was dominated with people looking for help. The crew worked hard to get as many logged in as possible, but they did have a tough night.

You could hear the PA guy announcing to the crowd of 300: "Please turn off any wi-fi devices".

My stream was perfect until right after Earl kicked in that ridiculous 8 ball following a lockup safety by Efren. Afterwhich I had a bad chop and inability to chat. I musta logged out and in a dozen times while cleaning cookies, rebooting and standing on my head.

I hope the IP crew can iron it out. I'm sure they will try hard as hell to do so.

Earl played incredibly! I mean, INCREDIBLY!

osama

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Strickland winning today was no surprise to me personally. Many would argue otherwise, but Strickland was in a much better shape. Furthermore and unlike Efren, Earl is accustomed to the 10ft.

Having said that. Efren missed some easy shots, specifically on the side pocket. That alone made him lose.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl would beat Efren playing one pocket on the 5/10 table.

Sorry, but no.

Earl is an amazing shot maker, one of the best, and that's why he does well on the 10' tables. But one pocket is more about moving, and controlling multiple balls at once. Something Efren trumps Earl at spades...on any size table.

I'm not trying to be conspiracy theorist, but it's really odd that this "all-around" isn't 8, 9 or 10, and then 1 hole. I mean that's pretty much the norm now when it comes to all-around matches. Instead they're playing 8 and two rotation games. I don't know if the players had a say in what games they were going to play, but I'm betting Efren would have much preferred to play one pocket over either 9 or 10 ball (probably 10 ball).

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl would beat Efren playing one pocket on the 5/10 table...NOT !

NOT in a decent length race !.. Efren's handlers really let this one get away. ...Why are they playing two and a half rotation games, and NO one pocket ?.. Given his age, and his expected downhill slide, Effie is probably the underdog in all the rotation games... But IMO, he is still the favorite over Earl, at one pocket,..And I don't care if they are playing on a 3 X 6, or a 14 X 28 !..And I will back this up with my cash, if anyone thinks otherwise ! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, but no.

Earl is an amazing shot maker, one of the best, and that's why he does well on the 10' tables. But one pocket is more about moving, and controlling multiple balls at once. Something Efren trumps Earl at spades...on any size table.

I'm not trying to be conspiracy theorist, but it's really odd that this "all-around" isn't 8, 9 or 10, and then 1 hole. I mean that's pretty much the norm now when it comes to all-around matches. Instead they're playing 8 and two rotation games. I don't know if the players had a say in what games they were going to play, but I'm betting Efren would have much preferred to play one pocket over either 9 or 10 ball (probably 10 ball).

they are getting at least 300 people a night to come in and watch the matches- you are not going to attract 300 people for one pocket

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
they are getting at least 300 people a night to come in and watch the matches- you are not going to attract 300 people for one pocket

They would. Those 300 people aren't just regular folk. They're going to be hardcore pool fans that want a chance to see two legends go head to head. They could play bumper pool, and the fans would still show up to see these two play.

But we'll have to agree to disagree.

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
There was definitely not 300 people there last night, I was there from 8-12, I don't think it was even close to 150. But your ears could've popped when Earl made the kick shot and called the 8 in the side, the room exploded and you would've thought there was a million people in there, it was exhilarating.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have to agree with you, westcoast, One Pocket would reduce the audience to 150

One Pocket is a better game on the 5/10 because it takes out the "moving" and puts in a lot more shot making. Efren wouldn't want to play Earl One Pocket on that table....he would, but begrudgingly.

I have to agree with you, westcoast, One Pocket would reduce the audience to 150 in a hurry. Nothing against the Game, it's so much better on a 5/10, just not "spectator friendly".

I wonder if Earl will be at the Derby?

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One Pocket is a better game on the 5/10 because it takes out the "moving" and puts in a lot more shot making. Efren wouldn't want to play Earl One Pocket on that table....he would, but begrudgingly.

I have to agree with you, westcoast, One Pocket would reduce the audience to 150 in a hurry. Nothing against the Game, it's so much better on a 5/10, just not "spectator friendly".

I wonder if Earl will be at the Derby?

I will agree with you on the crowd statement, but you are full of crap saying One Pocket is better without the moves. If you want to shoot balls all day, go play 9ball. One pocket is one pocket because of the moving.

Efren would beat Earl all day 1 hole on any table with a decent race.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's impossible to "take out the moves"

I will agree with you on the crowd statement, but you are full of crap saying One Pocket is better without the moves. If you want to shoot balls all day, go play 9ball. One pocket is one pocket because of the moving.

Efren would beat Earl all day 1 hole on any table with a decent race.

It's impossible to "take out the moves" in one pocket silly. :groucho:

You'd be surprised (obviously) - Efren's game is not even close playing one pocket on a 5/10....of course I found that out "the hard way". ;)

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
the "end rail" becomes a decisive "move" and this gives Earl the clear advantage.

So you are saying Earl will out-move Efren.

I clearly said Earl will be the favorite on the 5/10 imo and that there's less moving and more shotmaking on that size table. You can't take out "all" the moving, that's ridiculous, although the "end rail" becomes a decisive "move" and this gives Earl the advantage.

Efren and I were going to play on the 10' table in Dallas, but he opted to play me 9 Ball on the 9'.....go figure. ;)

On a 9' table Efren is at least a ball the favorite, but that's "apples and oranges" in this scenario.

1on1pooltournys

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I clearly said Earl will be the favorite on the 5/10 imo and that there's less moving and more shotmaking on that size table. You can't take out "all" the moving, that's ridiculous, although the "end rail" becomes a decisive "move" and this gives Earl the advantage.

Efren and I were going to play on the 10' table in Dallas, but he opted to play me 9 Ball on the 9'.....go figure. ;)

On a 9' table Efren is at least a ball the favorite, but that's "apples and oranges" in this scenario.

The 10 foot makes all the difference in the world. Earl is comfortable on it and has proven he can compete with the elite still today on a 10 foot.

"The 10 footer is the teacher"

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with you Dick...especially if Efren played like he did on the stream last week, where he was playing Bobby Emmons at Hard Times. But, MAN, that would be some MONSTER table! LOL :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

NOT in a decent length race !.. Efren's handlers really let this one get away. ...Why are they playing two and a half rotation games, and NO one pocket ?.. Given his age, and his expected downhill slide, Effie is probably the underdog in all the rotation games... But IMO, he is still the favorite over Earl, at one pocket,..And I don't care if they are playing on a 3 X 6, or a 14 X 28 !..And I will back this up with my cash, if anyone thinks otherwise ! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
The 10 foot makes all the difference in the world. Earl is comfortable on it and has proven he can compete with the elite still today on a 10 foot.

"The 10 footer is the teacher"

Yes, Efren's game goes way down on the 10' table, especially playing one pocket. The 10' table is a completely different world, and very little applies from the 9' model of play.

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Efren needs a good pair of no-line trifocals that sit high enough for pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2