Who wrote the book on cue building ?

bdcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And that we should all follow what he wrote ?
Even after you've seen, some popular practices are horse kaka.
Just wondering.

OK, Joey. What "book" specifically are you taking about? Inquiring minds want to know.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I think it is a metaphorical book.

That sounds good. :grin-square:
I did read DPK's manuscript and it was like reading the bible in Hebrew. :grin-square:
That is the only "book" I've seen.

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I guess I wrote "The Cue Building Book." At least that is the title of it.
David Kersenbrock also wrote a book on cue making. Dennis Dieckman wrote a good part of a book on cue building also. When I introduced my book in 2001 Dennis called me and thanked me for doing it so he did not have to finish his.

Saying "some popular practices are horse Kaka" might be a little overkill. Some things work and some things don't. If a practice works, and even though there are easier ways to do, it still does not make the practice horse kaka.

I have told people over and over to take the methods I show, tweek them and improve on them and that will make the reader's cues their own. I showed very simple ways of doing most things with minimal equipment so as to give the reader or DVD viewer an easy starting point to take off on. It is not meant to be an ending point, but a starting point.

Now I have a question for you.

What was your purpose for starting this thread?

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
David Kersenbrock also wrote a book on cue making. Dennis Dieckman wrote a good part of a book on cue building also. When I introduced my book in 2001 Dennis called me and thanked me for doing it so he did not have to finish his.

Saying "some popular practices are horse Kaka" might be a little overkill. Some things work and some things don't. If it works and even though there are easier ways still does not make the practice horse kaka.

I have told people over and over to take the methods I show, tweek them and improve on them and that will make the reader's cues their own. I showed very simple ways of doing most things with minimal equipment so as to give the reader or DVD viewer an easy starting point to take off on. It is not meant to be an ending point, but a starting point.

What was your purpose to starting this thread?
Kaka is a pretty strong word. My bad Chris. Let's call it, gray area.

This is just for laughs and giggles. While at the same time, maybe a wake-up call to some who think because some methods and practice have been going on for ages, they might not be the best way of doing things. Heck, they can even be , heaven forbid, WRONG.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Nothing is set in stone. You can do things any way you want to. The only issue with breaking from the grain is that it often ends up less than successful. Folks have it in their minds what a cue is supposed to be, and anything outside those parameters is too hard for them too accept.

As for techniques, well if it works then it works. If another cue maker were to come to my shop and watch over my shoulder while I made cues, he would swear he was watching a train wreck in progress. I don't do things the "typical" way. I had nobody teaching me, so I experimented and learned on my own through a whole lot of failure and determination. In the end what matters is if the cue is something people will pay for, and can last the test of time.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Nothing is set in stone. You can do things any way you want to. The only issue with breaking from the grain is that it often ends up less than successful. Folks have it in their minds what a cue is supposed to be, and anything outside those parameters is too hard for them too accept.

As for techniques, well if it works then it works. If another cue maker were to come to my shop and watch over my shoulder while I made cues, he would swear he was watching a train wreck in progress. I don't do things the "typical" way. I had nobody teaching me, so I experimented and learned on my own through a whole lot of failure and determination. In the end what matters is if the cue is something people will pay for, and can last the test of time.

And heaven forbid if you wasted some woods from your trials.
Let's not even talk about finish, glues and epoxies. :eek:

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cue building book

i had a guy offer me $500.00 if he could come to my shop, for one 5 day week and i could teach him how to build pool cues.

i told him i could not teach him how to build pool cues, but could only show him how i build pool cues.

so, i agree nothing is set in stone as each builder does it just a bit different. where i might install a joint ring with 5 min epoxy and trim it 4 hrs later, the next guy will tell you he is going to let it set overnight, the next guy 48 hrs.

but i can say this, the hightower book is a good read, and for a starting builder it is a lot of help.

seanjonsean

Otanisan Cues
Silver Member
from what ive learned and forgotten and ideas ive seen , i was thinking of calling my cues ,Savant cues....

billiardbum

Listen U Might Learn!!!
Silver Member
My Opinion

I believe Cueman book is a very good tutorial on building cues. The basis to start off the building adventure. I do some things like Chris talks about in the book and some I have found other ways that suit my needs better. I have also read Kersenbrock and Spain book, and found valuable information in those as well.

There are so many ways to do different task in cue building, but what sets all cue makers apart from others is execution. I love to read this forum with an open mind and think outside of the box but there are a lot of "know it alls" out there that do not need any books or videos.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are these books available anywhere (written by DPK, Spain, etc)? Already have Hightowers, but would like to dive into some other material. I'm sure they're not easy to find.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Are these books available anywhere (written by DPK, Spain, etc)? Already have Hightowers, but would like to dive into some other material. I'm sure they're not easy to find.

They're easy to find. There are copies in your hood.
If you can't find them , I'll dig up my copies here somewhere.

Last edited:

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member

Saying "some popular practices are horse Kaka" might be a little overkill. Some things work and some things don't. If a practice works, and even though there are easier ways to do, it still does not make the practice horse kaka.

What was your purpose for starting this thread?

and you did a nice job too......... I have built about 75 cues using most of your methods......................

Kim