Why do you need a sense of Humor to play Pool?

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Pool, for me, is analogous to life.

My practice as a pool player reveals my nature as a person, just as my practice as a person reveals my nature as a pool player.

Living life with a serious and professional demeanor is fine, but it will destroy you over time. I've always had a streak of uncommitted insanity about me. It has helped more than hurt in my development into what most people enjoy being my impersonation of a sane adult human. Humor is the light in life that illuminates the contours of reality. It gives relief.

Staring at well-ordered banality day after day will merely serve to comfirm your worst suspicions about life and the meaning behind it. I have few fears in life these days, and I can say honestly that a life without the joy that humor brings scares me. Pool is a pursuit of something unattainable. I have found that surrendering to righteous balls-deep commitment in the service of such endeavors, will inevitably produce (in large quantities).... humor.

Humor is necessary in pool. It's also unavoidable. Hell, I have even heard that Irving Crane was known to crack a smile on the odd occasion.

Awesome thread subject BTW.... Thanks.

Lesh

Last edited:

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Humor

If I didn't laugh at all the silly mistakes I make, the game would be no fun.

Attachments

• IMG_0027.JPG
    IMG_0027.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 447

Ekojasiloop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meanwhile, at least half of all the absolute world beaters I can think of never even get close to a smile at the table.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
The Zone

Meanwhile, at least half of all the absolute world beaters I can think of never even get close to a smile at the table.

I can identify. I love this part of the game when nothing is said and your playing whats in your head vs. The Other Guy and what's in his head. Then you come up with that one situation that you've never been in.....and you think you have it figured out and you end up doing a semi-dufus move and you ....want to go beat your head against the wall.

Then you realize just how small the differences are between good players and then you might find a little humor in it for a second, but you hope that the other guy makes a mistake to nullify yours....but you practice yours and next time. I did that yesterday and left a good player a bank I didn't intend for him to have access to....oh well.

billf59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love the game i am low level player I laugh at my self when I mess up have fun that's makes life a lot more fun because the other players are laughing behind your back when you mess up

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its a game. We're ALL gonna dog it, no way around it. If you can't laugh at yourself this game will eat you up.You can't take yourself(or the game) too seriously.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some people take pool a bit too seriously.

I sometimes get a bit upset if I miss an easy shot and my opponent will make a little chuckle or laugh.

When I stop kicking my feet and get up off the floor, I usually find it a bit humorous, too.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Late 70s....I took up one-pocket.
The learning process wasn't expensive, I was actually showing a small profit....
....by running ridiculous eight n outs.

Sooo...I'm in a trap...loose pack...a ball straight into my opponent's pocket....
...how the hell am i gonna avoid the kiss? :scratchhead:...without selling out?
Walked around that end of the table a couple times.....
...third time around, I realized that I had a similar shot into MY pocket....:embarrassed2:
...ran seven n out.

I told a friend who had been watching why I took so much time in that situation....
....he laughed a lot.....so did I.....the game was driving me crazy.

IMG_3384.JPG

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
There is only person I know of that laughs when missing ball in hand and his name if Ef-renray-sss, he smiles when he gets way out of line and he also smiles when he comes up to a shot where he can exhibit some skill. If that guy can find humor in the making of the biggest error possible using a cue then I think everyone should have at least a splash of levity in that little black coal-like heart.

Neil

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I go to play, it's my time to get away from life's worries and small troubles. It's kind of an escape. When I'm playing pool I'm not thinking about anything but pool, and since I enjoy the game, usually my disposition is really good. Also a side benefit of me going to play is there are some "characters" that frequent my hall, and more than not, you will be rolling on the floor laughing at some of the shit they do and say. Hell, I'd go there even if I didn't play pool to get some laughs.

I find that life is too short to take too many things seriously, so I would rather laugh a lot and have a shit load of fun, than be serious and a negative nelly. Being serious and stressing out all the time can take a heavy toll on your health. When I die, it won't be from not enjoying life and having a sense of humor I can promise you that.