Willie Mosconi's Original Balabushka at Auction

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
"Son Bill Mosconi of Philadelphia says the family no longer has room to store all of his father's keepsakes."

Yeah, a cue is very cumbersome to store... I.e., I need the money.

BluesTele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a quick fact:

Included in the auction is a Balabushka.
Willie never used a Balabushka in any of the World tournaments that he won. :)

Last edited:

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
Just a quick fact:

Yes, I'm curious as to when he stopped using his Rambow and started using a Balabushka.

I can't blame the family for auctioning off his stuff for the cash. I assume, though, that they will hold back a few items that have the most meaning to them. Maybe the Rambow?

They would probably love to auction off his personal cue ball but, as I understand it, it was purloined. :)

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a quick fact:

Included in the auction is a Balabushka.

More then that, Mosconi won his last tournament before Balabushka even made his first cue. Balabushka started around 1960 and no one would have had a clue who he was for a few years after that much less Mosconi. Mosconi did have a Balabushka though, I saw him playing with it the last time I saw him shortly before he died. If the family make some claimed he won this tournament or that tournament with the Balabushka though it will be pretty easy to dispute it. The last thing they want is to get caught in a lie.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Willie was still playing with his Rambow well into the 60's. As to when he got the Bushka and how much he used it, I don't know.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was quoted $350,000 for that bushka about 3-4 years ago. LOL i passed

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I had the pleasure of meeting Flora Mosconi about 6 years ago in Atlantic City during an exhibition with Loree Jon Jones and Jeanette Lee. I had great seats right next to her and Willie Jr to my good fortune.

I said hello and she was very nice, I said to her I had one question to ask and she said nicely and interested, "Go ahead.", I replied, " What happened at the end of the high run of 526?". She told me "Willie got tired and quit.". She proceeded to give me a magazine from around their hometown area with an article of Willie in it which I still have. Willie Jr. was very quiet and not personable at all, well to me anyway as it was just a brief thing.

I saw years back some of Willie's trophies for sale going for $250 on up. I imagine the family are just liquidating items as the economy hurts mostly everyone. I will treasure the memory of meeting her for my life, a wonderful, nice, kind lady and I think Willie was lucky to have her. RIP Flora.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
horrible fact checking by the writer, how does that even happen nowadays with the internet?
I think who ever it was got it from the family but it doesn't really add up. Mosconi was to be at the BCA show in Kansas city I think around July and could not make it because he was sick then he died the following Sept. I saw him play within a year of his death. He may have been in a hospices for a short time before he died but that is not true about him not playing for years.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They would probably love to auction off his personal cue ball but, as I understand it, it was purloined. :)

oh great, Rich.

Now you've got me wondering what the statute of limitations is on a cue ball :)

#####
Over on another group we were talking about Mosconi's cue and cue ball and I posted the following. I know there are some Mosconi fans here and I thought you might enjoy it, so here it is...

Yes, I can remember it as if it were yesterday (insert flashback music).

I think I got interested in pool right around 1968 or '69. A friend and I went to a bowling alley with his dad and mom one weekend and while they bowled, we discovered the pool room that was part of the bowling alley. My family lived in San Francisco, down by the Cow Palace, and bowling alleys with pool rooms in them were a pretty common setup back then, around there. In fact, just a short walk away from our house was Castle Lanes, where, very early on in life, I learned courtesy of a summer bowling league, that I had absolutely no talent for that game.

But occasionally I'd wander into the pool room there. It had perhaps nine or so old Brunswicks and I'd watch all these old guys bat the balls around. They seemed to favor some odd game where it only mattered if you made a ball in one particular pocket, or perhaps the other. I wouldn't decipher what they doing until much later on in life... Not long after my buddy and I became proud owners of our very own personal pool cues, I learned that Willie Mosconi would be making his annual appearance at Castle Lanes. This was huge. I had watched "The Hustler" several times by now and knew the lore.

So the day of the exhibition, I get out of school early and zoom down to Castle Lanes to get a front row seat. They had recovered the front table and all the old guys already had their favored perches secured. Nonetheless, I squeezed in. Then "he" walked into the pool room. Mosconi was always nattily dressed in sports coat and tie. He'd come into the room with a box of balls and a luggage-style cue case. His hair was pure white and he always had this very elegant, tailored look about him. To warm up, he'd rack all fifteen balls, separate the head ball and set up a break shot off to the left of the rack. The break shots he seemed to favor were always a little steeper than I would have thought comfortable, but they certainly didn't slow him up.

He'd run off two racks and then be done, ready to play his opponent, 150 points of 14.1. Depending on whom he was playing, he'd often kick into the back of the stack and play the head ball two rails into the side, just to give his opponent the chance at a running start. He'd always run at least a 100 and I saw him go 150 and out twice. If he had missed somewhere along the way and got out running a 50, or something like that, he'd turn to the crowd and ask, "Would you like to see a 100 ball run?" And we'd all go, "Well, yes." And he'd keep shooting and always get the 100. Then he'd shoot some trick shots, including some pretty nifty masses, and then hang around and talk and sign autographs. (It's the only autograph I have ever asked for in my life.)

Perhaps the last time I saw him was towards the late 70s, like maybe 1976, at an appearance in downtown San Francisco at a walk-up bowling alley named, appropriately enough, Downtown Bowl. He did the usual exhibition that I had seen several times before and it was still fascinating. Particularly, as I've mentioned before, because of the way his cue ball behaved. It was extraordinary how it would muscle into the balls and keep diving into them again and again until it had plowed through them all and come out the other side of the cluster or stack, totally unscathed.

So after his exhibition he's standing around, leaning against the table and talking to all the old timers and they're asking all the usual, "Did you ever play...?" "What'd you think of so and so's game?" and I'm trying to get closer to listen in on all this and I'm right by the side pocket of the table he's just finished his exhibition on and I look down and there it is.

Right there, at the bottom of the side pocket, is Mosconi's Cue Ball.

The blue circle on it is staring right back up at me and somehow, it was challenging me. Everyone is focused on Mosconi. No one is looking at me. I stare back into the abyss and realize I have but one moment to make a critical, and yes, criminal, decision. I look down into the pocket and I swear, Mosconi's Cue Ball is virtually howling with laughter at me. I quickly seize the little sucker, muffling it as best I can, stuff it into the pocket of my coat, and dash down the stairs of the establishment scared to death that if Mosconi discovers His Cue Ball is missing, they'll lock down the whole bowling alley -- and perhaps even cordon off the entire downtown district -- until they find the missing orb.

Now, some 30 years later, I still feel bad about the larceny I committed in my callow youth. But it's done and I can't undo it and so Mosconi's Cue Ball now sits, somewhat more meekly and quietly, on my bookshelf of pool books. But I think it still knows it's Mosconi's Cue Ball and now, just every once in a while when I'm sitting at the computer writing about the trials and tribulations of my pool game, I occasionally hear a tiny little giggle coming from behind my back, from somewhere on my book case.
#####

Lou Figueroa

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I saw him play with that cue. The reason I remember it was I mentioned to him I had the same model cue and we had a brief conversation about the cue. Also if you click on the link and change the lot number you can see the rest of the Mosconi item up for sale.
http://www.huntauctions.com/
click on Mosconi and then view all lots it runs from the end of 201 to 300 to 401 to 436. There is a lot of affordable stuff to bid on.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
oh great, Rich.

#####
Over on another group we were talking about Mosconi's cue and cue ball and I posted the following. I know there are some Mosconi fans here and I thought you might enjoy it, so here it is...

I think I got interested in pool right around 1968 or '69. A friend and I went to a bowling alley with his dad and mom one weekend and while they bowled, we discovered the pool room that was part of the bowling alley. My family lived in San Francisco, down by the Cow Palace, and bowling alleys with pool rooms in them were a pretty common setup back then, around there. In fact, just a short walk away from our house was Castle Lanes, where, very early on in life, I learned courtesy of a summer bowling league, that I had absolutely no talent for that game.

But occasionally I'd wander into the pool room there. It had perhaps nine or so old Brunswicks and I'd watch all these old guys bat the balls around. They seemed to favor some odd game where it only mattered if you made a ball in one particular pocket, or perhaps the other. I wouldn't decipher what they doing until much later on in life... Not long after my buddy and I became proud owners of our very own personal pool cues, I learned that Willie Mosconi would be making his annual appearance at Castle Lanes. This was huge. I had watched "The Hustler" several times by now and knew the lore.

So the day of the exhibition, I get out of school early and zoom down to Castle Lanes to get a front row seat. They had recovered the front table and all the old guys already had their favored perches secured. Nonetheless, I squeezed in. Then "he" walked into the pool room. Mosconi was always nattily dressed in sports coat and tie. He'd come into the room with a box of balls and a luggage-style cue case. His hair was pure white and he always had this very elegant, tailored look about him. To warm up, he'd rack all fifteen balls, separate the head ball and set up a break shot off to the left of the rack. The break shots he seemed to favor were always a little steeper than I would have thought comfortable, but they certainly didn't slow him up.

He'd run off two racks and then be done, ready to play his opponent, 150 points of 14.1. Depending on whom he was playing, he'd often kick into the back of the stack and play the head ball two rails into the side, just to give his opponent the chance at a running start. He'd always run at least a 100 and I saw him go 150 and out twice. If he had missed somewhere along the way and got out running a 50, or something like that, he'd turn to the crowd and ask, "Would you like to see a 100 ball run?" And we'd all go, "Well, yes." And he'd keep shooting and always get the 100. Then he'd shoot some trick shots, including some pretty nifty masses, and then hang around and talk and sign autographs. (It's the only autograph I have ever asked for in my life.)

Perhaps the last time I saw him was towards the late 70s, like maybe 1976, at an appearance in downtown San Francisco at a walk-up bowling alley named, appropriately enough, Downtown Bowl. He did the usual exhibition that I had seen several times before and it was still fascinating. Particularly, as I've mentioned before, because of the way his cue ball behaved. It was extraordinary how it would muscle into the balls and keep diving into them again and again until it had plowed through them all and come out the other side of the cluster or stack, totally unscathed.

So after his exhibition he's standing around, leaning against the table and talking to all the old timers and they're asking all the usual, "Did you ever play...?" "What'd you think of so and so's game?" and I'm trying to get closer to listen in on all this and I'm right by the side pocket of the table he's just finished his exhibition on and I look down and there it is.

The blue circle on it is staring right back up at me and somehow, it was challenging me. Everyone is focused on Mosconi. No one is looking at me. I stare back into the abyss and realize I have but one moment to make a critical, and yes, criminal, decision. I look down into the pocket and I swear, Mosconi's Cue Ball is virtually howling with laughter at me. I quickly seize the little sucker, muffling it as best I can, stuff it into the pocket of my coat, and dash down the stairs of the establishment scared to death that if Mosconi discovers His Cue Ball is missing, they'll lock down the whole bowling alley -- and perhaps even cordon off the entire downtown district -- until they find the missing orb.

Now, some 30 years later, I still feel bad about the larceny I committed in my callow youth. But it's done and I can't undo it and so Mosconi's Cue Ball now sits, somewhat more meekly and quietly, on my bookshelf of pool books. But I think it still knows it's Mosconi's Cue Ball and now, just every once in a while when I'm sitting at the computer writing about the trials and tribulations of my pool game, I occasionally hear a tiny little giggle coming from behind my back, from somewhere on my book case.
#####

Lou Figueroa

Lou that was one great story, well told! You have a gift for telling stories.

P.S. I have similar memories of Mosconi, and I even have the dubious honor of being one of his victims. And yes, it's true, he would promise and ALWAYS deliver a 100 ball run. He hit me with 131 and out!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou that was one great story, well told! You have a gift for telling stories.

P.S. I have similar memories of Mosconi, and I even have the dubious honor of being one of his victims. And yes, it's true, he would promise and ALWAYS deliver a 100 ball run. He hit me with 131 and out!

Thanks, Jay. You ain't so bad a writer yourself.

Lou Figueroa

Tom@poolmag.com

Mosconi

When I interviewed Willie for a story I asked him about the 526. He told me it was on an eight-foot table, that he got tired and missed an orange ball but couldn't remember if it was solid or stripe, and was sure it was a shot to a corner pocket.

As to his cues, all the details of which cues he owned, which he used when, and for what, are in a story in the March P&B, written by long time Mosconi family friend Charles Ursitti, and vetted by Bill Mosconi.

Enjoy,
Tom

Tim-n-NM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
oh great, Rich.

#####

#####

Lou Figueroa

great story Lou...