Winner Breaks or Alternate Break SVB Vs Earl "The Decider"

Shane Vs Earl races to 30, 8-Ball, 9-Ball & 10-Ball Whatshould it be?

• Winner Breaks?

Votes: 55 64.7%
  • Alternate Breaks?

Votes: 28 32.9%
  • Does not matter.

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOSER Should Break ....

To make it fair, Loser should always break.

And why this was not a choice?:slap:

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think it is going to matter, SVB is going to beat Earl quite easily.

If you go to alternate breaks it will be closer but won't affect the outcome.

:shakehead:

This is far from the truth. To put on a show, both players will try and make it close for the fans.

Diamond69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm shocked how many winner breaks votes there are. IMO, alternate break adds drama to the matches. The most recent tourney finals showed that.

Here's a little point. Technically, you can still have "packages", but you'll have to pay more attention to count them since it may be every other game.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alternate break or even loser break. What other sport allows the team that scores to keep the ball so they can score again. How about lag for break for each game. That would put more importance on lagging skill.
Rugby makes the team that just conceded kick the ball back to the team that just scored ;)

I would want to see them both run 8+ packs, so obviously I'd like to see winner breaks.

Alternate breaks is almost the same as loser breaks with this calibre of player IMO. It makes it very difficult to get into any kind of flow or rhythm and would make for a scrappy match. Not good to watch IMO.

Lagging for each break is a decent option, but it would be time consuming.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Winner breaks, if a player has ran out the last rack, why shouldn't he break the next rack...if he hasn't missed yet!

Glen

MSchaffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Winner breaks without a doubt.

If alt break was used, and Shane is up 22-10, the match is over...boring.

Winner breaks, means a 29-5 score means the other guy still has a real chance of making the match closer or even winning. Drama to the end no matter the score.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I'm 100% convinced after the US Open 8-ball, that ALT BREAKS IS BEST FOR 8 BALL.

I've always been a fan of winner breaks for the other games, but for 8 ball, it adds a ton of excitement & drama.
8 ball already is a game where the best players "should" run out, this makes it a game where they
"must" run out. It's like a true race, if you screw up even a little and start to fall behind, you're cooked.
The entire set must be played at top gear from start to finish.

edit: so with that being said, I wish you'd consider amending the poll and not forcing one format
for three different games.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm 100% convinced after the US Open 8-ball, that ALT BREAKS IS BEST FOR 8 BALL.

I've always been a fan of winner breaks for the other games, but for 8 ball, it adds a ton of excitement & drama.
8 ball already is a game where the best players "should" run out, this makes it a game where they
"must" run out. It's like a true race, if you screw up even a little and start to fall behind, you're cooked.
The entire set must be played at top gear from start to finish.

edit: so with that being said, I wish you'd consider amending the poll and not forcing one format
for three different games.

Do you realize that 8 ball on a 9' table is almost a completely different game than on a 7' table? 9' table is WAY easier than a 7' for 8 ball.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you realize that 8 ball on a 9' table is almost a completely different game than on a 7' table? 9' table is WAY easier than a 7' for 8 ball.

Certainly not true. If you only play on 7 foot tables, and specialize on a 7 foot table, then a 7 foot table is much easier for that person.

Some people can only play on a 7 footer and suck on a 9 footer.

And some people who only play on a 9 footer, might suck on a 7 footer.

Plus...I've seen some great 9 ball players who play on big tables, but they really suck on a 7 foot table playing 8 ball.

That's a lot of sucking for a good player.:rotflmao1:

And I don't care what other people say...Loser breaks is the best.

Last edited:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Certainly not true. If you only play on 7 foot tables, and specialize on a 7 foot table, then a 7 foot table is much easier for that person.

Some people can only play on a 7 footer and suck on a 9 footer.

And some people who only play on a 9 footer, might suck on a 7 footer.

Plus...I've seen some great 9 ball players who play on big tables, but they really suck on a 7 foot table playing 8 ball.

That's a lot of sucking for a good player.:rotflmao1:

And I don't care what other people say...Loser breaks is the best.

Just curious if you have any idea why I made the statement I did??

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It really does depend on your game as to what table you will find "easier" to play on as far as 8 ball goes.

Given that player A and player B both pot 90%+ of balls they attempt it would come down to positional play, decision making/ planning and their ability to break out clusters (and I don't care what anyone says, clusters are way more common on a 7' table :) ).

Positional play becomes more difficult, for me anyway, on a smaller table because there is less margin for error generally and because of the number of balls in a smaller more confined space, your judgement of speed is crutial.

Breaking out clusters isn't an exact science and is very difficult to predict the outcome with any consistency. So the more clusters you have over the course of a match the lower your break and run percentage will be.

I find it far easier to plan a rack of 8 ball after the break on a 9' table usually because there is a better spread. Things are much clearer and even if your plan falls apart, you usually have enough space on the table to get back on track to fulfil your initial plan after 1 shot.

This is just my opinion though :)

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
I wonder if AZ's At Large will keep stats and compare against 9' stats. Or I wonder if those stats are already out there.

I believe 8 ball is the toughest of these 3 games to play on a 7'er vs a 9'er.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I wonder if AZ's At Large will keep stats and compare against 9' stats. Or I wonder if those stats are already out there.

I believe 8 ball is the toughest of these 3 games to play on a 7'er vs a 9'er.

All I could find was a pooltrax barbox match with klatt and thorsten. They averaged 75% B&R between them
but it was only a small number of games.

Even if barbox 8b gets fewer runouts on paper, I suspect the format could be very exciting.
I used to think alt. break was dull but I know better now. In the right circumstances it's great to watch.
The poll should allow for a middle ground where we can get have both options, not one size fits all.

Winner Break for 9 & 10b,
Alt. Break for 8b. That's my vote.

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member
I said winner breaks. I don't think it could go 30-0 for either guy. Either guy is capable of putting together a ten pack but there will be a roll to get the other guy back to the table. Alt break would have them trading run outs and the score would be 30-29. I think that would be boring. Winner breaks with a neutral party racking

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about alternating breaks every 10 racks?

Shane breaks 10 times, then Earl, then Shane, until someone reaches 30 wins.

rmfcouch

Registered
My vote is for winner break with referee/neutral racker. In my opinion, if there's any doubt that the best man won't come out as the winner in the end, lengthen the race. But if someone develops momentum, it should be allowed to run its course.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
winner breaks.

legendary games and comebacks cannot exist with alternative breaks...

lets say SVB is did run 11 straight racks and is leading 28-14 and got unlucky kiss and scratch on break and Earl run 16 racks... that would be awesome game.
alternative breaks take that kinda comebacks impossible.

I also prefer winner break on competitions always coz no matter how long back u fall u still got chance if game is still on... alt break u know u lost long before match is over after certain point of race. there is nothing u can do.:(

my 2 cents

Schwinn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please keep it winner breaks. The dominant player will be the clear winner this way.