World 10-Ball Championships, Feb-Mar 2024, Las Vegas, The Rio

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Incredible post on Facebook from Fedor about being denied a break between sets to go to the bathroom. And then agreeing with his opponent to each forfeit a game in their final set so they could both go to the bathroom. This would be a joke for a minor tournament let alone a world championship.

View attachment 745813
Who made this rule?

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't say with certainty but my guess is there are major competitions of all kinds with very strict and strictly enforced policies. Live network entertainment must have a lot of <Check your ego at the door.> <The show must go on.>

If they stick with the stormtrooper tack then maybe it elevates the participant consciousness a tick or two. If they back off and amend the rules then it will always be a stupid boot camp experiment.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
IMG_0661.jpeg

Imagine the effort it took to go and collect $10 from these players the day before the tournament started, instead of just eating the $640 and giving the players patches with their registration packet or shirts.

Monti

Does anyone (at large?) have any comparable stats as to how the higher ranked players fare in this format compared to a standard race format?
It seems like more top players get knocked out or at least moved to losers side with this format, seems as though this has much more room for upsets .
If so , don’t see how this can be classed as a real “world “ 10 ball championship

kris

Imagine the effort it took to go and collect $10 from these players the day before the tournament started, instead of just eating the $640 and giving the players patches with their registration packet or shirts.
If only Pros took a minute to read the rules widely available and shared BEFORE the tournament instead of posting silly stuff at FB complaining. Form the Players handbook:

1. For event (5), the following additional requirements for the dress code apply and take precedence over requirements above where in conflict:
    National Emblem
    The nation that the athlete is representing must be indicated either on the back or on the front of the playing shirt. Acceptable indications are as follows: country flag, three-letter IOC country code, full name of country in English, or full name of country in the official language of the Country in Latin script. The indication of the nation must be displayed horizontally, in the top half of the shirt, and be prominent enough to be easily identifiable. The recommendation is to use use letters or flag images that are 5 to 15 centimeters high, with the ratio of width to height of letters between 15% and 40%.
    If required, tournament administration will produce a compliant nation indication for a nominal fee, which the athlete will be required to wear. No athlete will be permitted to compete without nation indication.
WRT to Fedor timeout, again referees are making up rules.. He should have been granted timeout after second set, no question about it:

The duration of a timeout is 7 minutes. In matches with multiple sets, there is an automatic timeout after every set unless both players choose to continue play. No other timeouts are allowed. For the purposes of this paragraph, shootout is considered to be a part of the deciding set.

best,
kris

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone (at large?) have any comparable stats as to how the higher ranked players fare in this format compared to a standard race format?
It seems like more top players get knocked out or at least moved to losers side with this format, seems as though this has much more room for upsets .
If so , don’t see how this can be classed as a real “world “ 10 ball championship
I think this may be the goal. These short race formats combined with single elimination after a certain round is really questionable when it comes to who the best player is…

Monti

You co
I think this may be the goal. These short race formats combined with single elimination after a certain round is really questionable when it comes to who the best player is
You could be right. I think all it will do is alienate players though. If you work hard to be the best in the world and then know you can be the best but the format means you don’t rise to the top, then they will look elsewhere

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can compute this with the Fargorate APP. You just have to treat the shootout when it comes into play as being approximately like a single game,

First pick a rating difference, like 40 points, and compute how often higher-rated player wins single race to 4: 64.8%
Then treat this race to 4 like it is a single GAME (capitalized) and ask what rating difference leads to 64.8% for a GAME: 88 points
Now be aware the match format is a race to 2 of GAMES, and with thw 88 point gap the higher-rated player wins 71.5% of the time.

Now go back to 40 point rating difference and games. What straight race gives closest to 71.5% success for higher-rated player?
The answer is 9 (71.9%). It is between 8 and 9 and closer to 9.

So about the same number of upsets as a race to 9 but, imo, a preferable format for other reasons.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WRT to Fedor timeout, again referees are making up rules.. He should have been granted timeout after second set, no question about it:

The duration of a timeout is 7 minutes. In matches with multiple sets, there is an automatic timeout after every set unless both players choose to continue play. No other timeouts are allowed. For the purposes of this paragraph, shootout is considered to be a part of the deciding set.

best,
kris
There are two sides to every story. I'd like to hear the ref's side, since not granting a timeout after the second set is clearly against the written rules. It's possible Fedor wanted to take a timeout sometime after the third set already started. Or maybe the FB is 100% factual and the refs are indeed idiots.

david(tx)

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You co

You could be right. I think all it will do is alienate players though. If you work hard to be the best in the world and then know you can be the best but the format means you don’t rise to the top, then they will look elsewhere
The reason players are putting up with things is because 1st place pays 75,000 dollars , and second around 45,000..

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Filler in trouble could be on verge of going out early
Lost 1st set and trail Mexican sicario Ruben Bautista 0-1 in 2nd set of losers side match. Bautista breaking really good, playing good safe and not missing much :LOL:

Number of notables on losers side
Skyler
Oi
Mario He
Shaw
SVB
Kazakis
Zielinski

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Length of set should not make difference. cos since pool started, pool folks have been playing shortest races to 1 sets. :LOL: For eg. race to 9 is same as best of 17 sets of race to 1.
The shootout is silly though should be replaced. Maybe 1 deciding rack (pushout, no runout) or 1 deciding rack (choose 3 pockets each)

Monti

Length of set should not make difference. cos since pool started, pool folks have been playing shortest races to 1 sets. :LOL: For eg. race to 9 is same as best of 17 sets of race to 1.
The shootout is silly though should be replaced. Maybe 1 deciding rack (pushout, no runout) or 1 deciding rack (choose 3 pockets each)
I agree definitely no shoot out. I guess I could get with the concept if it was longer races. I just think the short races can make a lower player win. I was actually in a tournament playing this format and I went quite far but was way below the class of the field and would t have got anywhere in races to 9