World 10-ball

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
Everyone needs to keep things in perspective. 60k is a very good payday for 99% of the people walking the planet. Yes it doesn't compare favorably to the major sports, but it's better than others. We are also living in a renaissance, where players are just now beginning to parlay their visibility into additional sources of income. Things are looking up for the game AND the players.
It is, but my point about the tournaments was that it isn't about the prize money, it's about the sponsor exposure.
Predator is by far the king of shoving their brand name down everyone's throat, and they make millions doing so.
The major players that they sponsor are their employees.
Same for Cuetec, Mezz, Peri, Rasson, Kamui, etc

Reactions: sjm

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Next day, and the U.S. Open 10-Ball has started:

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another perspective is that first prize for the World 9 Ball was $100k in 2007, but the global recession caused the pool world to hit the reset button on that event, and when it came back, the money was roughly 1/3rd of what it had been the last time it was played.

First prize was $50k for the US Open 9 Ball in 2007, the same amount FSR got in 2022! It was also $50k in 2000, but that was an anomaly, as it immediately dropped to $30k the next three years and didn't reach 50k again until SVB won it in 07.

Keeping up with inflation, the U.S. Open should be closer to $75k for 1st and the World 9 Ball should be nearly $150k!

Now, I doubt that we'd see a $150k first prize even if the World 9 Ball never moved to Qatar and pool had kept chugging along, but $100k for the biggest event in pool seems reasonable, IMO.

Especially since it has already been done 16 years ago. Pool needs to promote the image that it is moving forward, not backwards in prize money. The bigger purses certainly help, and they are more player-friendly, but I think $100k is a sweet spot for the W9B, U.S. Open, and ideally, both. It's a nice, round number that's not going to cause people to scoff. I've heard many people chuckle at what pros make (excluding sponsorships and money on the side).

A 22-year-old fresh STEM graduate would be in the top 10 on the pool money leaderboard with an entry-level job at a big tech company.

Television revenue and sponsorships other than pool equipment companies. Master Chalk isn’t going to turn the tide. When you see Ford, Chevrolet, insurance companies and financial institutions advertising then you know you have arrived.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another perspective is that first prize for the World 9 Ball was $100k in 2007, but the global recession caused the pool world to hit the reset button on that event, and when it came back, the money was roughly 1/3rd of what it had been the last time it was played.

First prize was $50k for the US Open 9 Ball in 2007, the same amount FSR got in 2022! It was also $50k in 2000, but that was an anomaly, as it immediately dropped to $30k the next three years and didn't reach 50k again until SVB won it in 07.

Keeping up with inflation, the U.S. Open should be closer to $75k for 1st and the World 9 Ball should be nearly $150k!

Now, I doubt that we'd see a $150k first prize even if the World 9 Ball never moved to Qatar and pool had kept chugging along, but $100k for the biggest event in pool seems reasonable, IMO.

Especially since it has already been done 16 years ago. Pool needs to promote the image that it is moving forward, not backwards in prize money. The bigger purses certainly help, and they are more player-friendly, but I think $100k is a sweet spot for the W9B, U.S. Open, and ideally, both. It's a nice, round number that's not going to cause people to scoff. I've heard many people chuckle at what pros make (excluding sponsorships and money on the side).

A 22-year-old fresh STEM graduate would be in the top 10 on the pool money leaderboard with an entry-level job at a big tech lol

Nice until the end and you threw in the proverbial entry level 150-200k a year engineering or other STEM job! Yeah right!

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree about the size of the pockets a events for professionals. Their need to be a uniform standard like the size of a golf hole (4.25”) and diameter of a basketball hoop (18”) and so on and so on in the sports world.

One thing I would like to see is the ability to win in 10 ball by legally making the 10 during a game as is possible in 9 ball. It would liven up the game. I got a little bored with the semi finals and finals of this weeks Vegas tournament. Going after the 10 would add a little more excitement rather can just connecting the dots.
Everything needs to be uniform including the shot clock. Somebody watching might see one table watching the clock and keeping up and the outside table staring knowing the ball ain’t moving.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, you are mistaken. Current PGA guidelines call for 18% to the winner and 10.8% to second place. For the 2023 World 10-ball with (per At Large) a $250,000 purse, that translates to $45,000 for first and 27,000 for second, and yes, that's about where I think things should be in pool, too, and no, I don't think that if the top two prizes were these, it would affect participation at all.
Considering that is a massive decline over the last 20 years of pool for winning a ‘World Champion’ title, it doesn’t scream “come play”. The inflation over the last twenty years, combined with the decline in prize money. I’d say you’re quite far off base is your claims. We’ve already seen a steady decline over the last two years, both in top world players and payouts for tournaments.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never said it was.
But relative to ALL other sports, it really is.
$60k for 1st place in a World Championship is chump change, especially considering the millions of dollars Predator and the entire industry make in overall revenue.
The caddy for the winning player in the just completed Arnold Palmer PGA event made at least 6 times what Kaci made for winning the world title and the player made 60 times as much. Pretty sad by comparison.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Considering that is a massive decline over the last 20 years of pool for winning a ‘World Champion’ title, it doesn’t scream “come play”. The inflation over the last twenty years, combined with the decline in prize money. I’d say you’re quite far off base is your claims. We’ve already seen a steady decline over the last two years, both in top world players and payouts for tournaments.
Nonsense.

The payouts of the World Championships in a business model that failed in the Middle East are of no relevance. As the IPT venture of 2006 also proved, unless you can produce the revenue to justify prize funds, the prize payouts are meaningless and are grounded in fantasy. Using your reasoning, however, I should bemoan the absence of payouts of 350,000+ which were found in the two biggest IPT events. In fact, if you talk to the players. as I very often do, they often cite both of these events (IPT and the Middle East version of the World Championships) as two of the lowest points pool ever endured. Bonus Ball, similarly tried to pay out far more money than its business model could justify and it, predictably, imploded, like the other two ventures.

Suggesting that the World Championship prize funds fell from their highest levels because of a change in economic climate isn't accurate. A few event producers tried to pay far more than their revenue streams would allow, and they all lost plenty of money and had to flee the pro pool scene after substantial losses.

Payouts must track revenues, not arbitrary views on what events ought to pay.

As for your final comments, I'll simply cite my year in review post of this January.

In 2022, a) the top 10 made $1,624,000, up 63% from 2021, b) the Top 25 made $2,817,000, up 70% from 2021, and c) the Top 50 made $3,761,000, up 66% from 2021.

In fact, total payouts have been skyrocketing of late. I hope it continues.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
Joe Rogan is not the ambassador that pool needs to grow in popularity. Too controversial. I can’t think of one top player today that fills that bill. Pool needs a Mickey Mantle, Mohammed Ali, Federer or Arnold Palmer. Someone that plays the game with a personality and charisma. Someone to take it out of the smoky dark past that still lingers to some extent. Its always going to be a subculture to some extent. I don’t see anyone out there that has those attributes.
Joe Rogan has star power and popularity greater than any top pro. Controversial is an opinion and I happen to disagree. So what qualities do think Mickey Mantle, Muhammad Ali, Federer, and Arnold Palmer have that you think are so important? Mickey Mantle was an alcoholic. Muhammad Ali what is a draft dodger. Why not Jack or Tiger? If you want personality and charisma, then you must be an Earl fan. He didn't grow the sport, in fact sent it back in my opinion with the Camel tour. The smoky dark past is over. The events being put on today are very professional. What more do you want?

Last edited:

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nonsense.

The payouts of the World Championships in a business model that failed in the Middle East are of no relevance. As the IPT venture of 2006 also proved, unless you can produce the revenue to justify prize funds, the prize payouts are meaningless and are grounded in fantasy. Using your reasoning, however, I should bemoan the absence of payouts of 350,000+ which were found in the two biggest IPT events. In fact, if you talk to the players. as I very often do, they often cite both of these events (IPT and the Middle East version of the World Championships) as two of the lowest points pool ever endured. Bonus Ball, similarly tried to pay out far more money than its business model could justify and it, predictably, imploded, like the other two ventures.

Suggesting that the World Championship prize funds fell from their highest levels because of a change in economic climate isn't accurate. A few event producers tried to pay far more than their revenue streams would allow, and they all lost plenty of money and had to flee the pro pool scene after substantial losses.

As for your final comments, I'll simply cite my year in review post of this January.

In 2022, a) the top 10 made $1,624,000, up 63% from 2021, b) the Top 25 made $2,817,000, up 70% from 2021, and c) the Top 50 made $3,761,000, up 66% from 2021.

Is $60,000 cash buying you as more value today, or 20 years ago? A $60,000 tournament win in 2000, following inflation should be north of $100,000 now. It doesn’t matter if the numbers are up or not since the passing of a previous tournament promoter. You are not factoring the entire picture of what’s going on. I’m not saying we need $300,000 1st place payouts every major. Having the current world championships paying so little compared to the majors of other sports is quite debilitating. Even up and coming sports are passing pool in terms of payouts. We’ve neutered pool from a viewing perspective, and have lost millions in potential sponsor money. Yes the game is more challenging to play. But unless the top 100-150 pool players in the world can earn a true full time traveling career, making payouts work the way you want to doesn’t help that. There just isn’t enough $$$$ in the prize fund to justify expanding the lower payouts without taking away the prestige of the world champ title. Fix the sponsor side of the game, and we’ll get more money to pay out like you desire. But don’t diminish what first place gets because you have turned sour.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Is $60,000 cash buying you as more value today, or 20 years ago? A $60,000 tournament win in 2000, following inflation should be north of $100,000 now. It doesn’t matter if the numbers are up or not since the passing of a previous tournament promoter. You are not factoring the entire picture of what’s going on. I’m not saying we need $300,000 1st place payouts every major. Having the current world championships paying so little compared to the majors of other sports is quite debilitating. Even up and coming sports are passing pool in terms of payouts. We’ve neutered pool from a viewing perspective, and have lost millions in potential sponsor money. Yes the game is more challenging to play. But unless the top 100-150 pool players in the world can earn a true full time traveling career, making payouts work the way you want to doesn’t help that. There just isn’t enough $$$$ in the prize fund to justify expanding the lower payouts without taking away the prestige of the world champ title. Fix the sponsor side of the game, and we’ll get more money to pay out like you desire. But don’t diminish what first place gets because you have turned sour.
I think we agree 100% that the sums being earned today are paltry compared to where they would be if pool, over the last forty years, had kept pace with inflation. We are also 100% aligned on where pool stands among the sports of the world, which number in the hundreds. Pool is a second tier, and maybe even a third-tier sport that has nearly never garnered any interest from out of industry sponsors, which means it has always be cut off from those with deep pockets.

Pool is also a business, and any business must manage its expenses so that they are in line with revenue or tread the path to extinction. That said, I really like the point you raise about how many should be able to derive a decent income from competing at pro pool. It's an interesting and important one, and for me that number is about 50 right now. Yes, my choice is quite arbitrary, but it just my sense of things. That's why I restricted the data I offered about 2021 vs 2022 prize money to the top 50.

If we look at the 2022 AZB money list, however, we find that only 24 players had prize money of $50,000 or more, and that's before expenses. In short, we are already a very top-heavy sport in the area of total earnings. Prize funds will grow as revenue grows, but if you make existing prize funds even more top-heavy than they are now to accommodate what you feel winners should earn, even less than 24 will make ends meet and more and more will walk away from the sport.

Thanks for a well-reasoned and thought-provoking post.

Stevexjfe

Fair point, but I feel that an event deemed a World Championship should not be played on loose equipment, and whether it's nine or ten ball, I feel the same. This view, at least for me, is hardly new. Here's an excerpt from my recap of Matchroom's 2021 World 9-ball championship, in which I also had a problem with the loose equipment,

Negative #3: Equipment Not Befitting a World Championship
This was the biggest negative. The equipment was way too easy for players of this caliber, a point reinforced in commentary by both Boyes and Shaw. This made the elite players more vulnerable and ultimately delivered an unusually weak final eight, in which no player whose Fargo rate placed them in the world’s top 15 was present. Watching balls poorly hit going in time after time was hard to bear, and the event was cheapened by the fact that the test was not stiff enough for the world’s best pool players.

All that said, I'm fine with 4 1/2" pockets anywhere but the majors and always have been.

As for your final comment, there is no such thing as what a world champion should take home. I go back to the days when $4,000 was all you got for first place in the PPPA World 14.1 Championships. There is precedent, however, for what a world champion should get as a percentage of the purse in the event, and this number is too high for my taste. There's also loads of evidence that top heavy payouts discourage participation over time, and that's not what I want to see.

I respect your opinion and preferences, but we don't see things the same way here, and that's OK. Thanks for your input.
Lowest first place price money for the PPPA World 14.1 Championship was £8,000 in 1986 won by Varner.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
[...]

[...]

Yes, agreed on both counts. We should all acknowledge there are organizations and many people sticking their necks out to realize a vision. The most meaningful comparison, imo, is not to some other sport or to some fleeting peak time in our sport. It is to the recent past for us. Five years ago (2018) and 10 years ago (2013) are reasonable measures of that.

now 2018 2013
World. 8-Ball top prize 60K. - -
World 9-Ball top prize. 60K. 40K. 36K
World 10-Ball top prize. 60K. - -

I'm in the airport on my way back from an event that had 7,000 amateurs milling around with the pros (up from 5,000 in recent years), had a pro tournament with 190 players and $125K prize. fund, a women's pro tournament with 64 players and I think $50K prize fund, a world championship with $250K prize fund, a carom championship tournament, junior tournament.... That's $425K for just pro pool events.

The next Predator Pro Series event (Wisconsin) recently opened entries and it already has the two highest rated players in the world (Filler and Gorst) signed up, and encouragingly a handful of up-and-coming US junior players signed up.

We are in new territory...

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe Rogan has star power and popularity greater than any top pro. Controversial is an opinion and I happen to disagree. So what qualities do think Mickey Mantle, Muhammad Ali, Federer, and Arnold Palmer have that you think are so important? Mickey Mantle was an alcoholic. Muhammad Ali what is a draft dodger. Why not Jack or Tiger? If you want personality and charisma, then you must be an Earl fan. He didn't grow the sport, in fact sent it back in my opinion with the Camel tour. The smoky dark past is over. The events being put on today are very professional. What more do you want?
You must be a millineal

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Lowest first place price money for the PPPA World 14.1 Championship was £8,000 in 1986 won by Varner.
By my recollection, and I was there, when Ray Martin won the 1978 PPPA World Championship in New York City, the first prize was $4,000. The PPPA, which folded in 1986, certainly never had an event in Europe, as it was a tour consisting chiefly of players from New York and New Jersey. There was little to no international participation in PPPA events.

Of course, I've been wrong before and will likely be wrong again very soon.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Yes, agreed on both counts. We should all acknowledge there are organizations and many people sticking their necks out to realize a vision. The most meaningful comparison, imo, is not to some other sport or to some fleeting peak time in our sport.
Well said, Mike. This really is the crux of the matter. Things are improving of late in our sport, and we should be pleased about it rather than singing dirges about what might have been.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To be fair, $60k is not chump change for the majority of these players, as they live outside of the US. I'd imagine 60k will take Kaci far in his home country.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think we agree 100% that the sums being earned today are paltry compared to where they would be if pool, over the last forty years, had kept pace with inflation. We are also 100% aligned on where pool stands among the sports of the world, which number in the hundreds. Pool is a second tier, and maybe even a third-tier sport that has nearly never garnered any interest from out of industry sponsors, which means it has always be cut off from those with deep pockets.

Pool is also a business, and any business must manage its expenses so that they are in line with revenue or tread the path to extinction. That said, I really like the point you raise about how many should be able to derive a decent income from competing at pro pool. It's an interesting and important one, and for me that number is about 50 right now. Yes, my choice is quite arbitrary, but it just my sense of things. That's why I restricted the data I offered about 2021 vs 2022 prize money to the top 50.

If we look at the 2022 AZB money list, however, we find that only 24 players had prize money of $50,000 or more, and that's before expenses. In short, we are already a very top-heavy sport in the area of total earnings. Prize funds will grow as revenue grows, but if you make existing prize funds even more top-heavy than they are now to accommodate what you feel winners should earn, even less than 24 will make ends meet and more and more will walk away from the sport.

Thanks for a well-reasoned and thought-provoking post.
I don’t think you understand what top heavy means. That may be where we’re having a problem at. A 400% difference in pool terms is no where near what 400% in golf is. Let alone just the actual difference and not looking at the percentage. Looking at golf, we see a clear difference between what a top heavy tournament year end winner looks like. If 50% of an overseas players tournaments a year are played on USA soil, and they win $60,000 one time. How much is their actually profit? What they can legitimately tell the government they earned for the year? Maybe $20,000? After all expenses for the year, there’s not one player claiming a full years earning more than 50% of what they’ve ‘won’. The worst pga your card holders are still earning more than some of the best pool players after expenses.