World 14.1 Championship in Queens, N.Y.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Unfortunate timing for me. I attend both the three cushion event and the World 14.1 event every year. In 2012, however, these events coincide with the Summer Olympics in London, so I'll be out of the country.

Sorry you are not able to attend. We will have to catch up at Derby again next year. :smile:

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
It looks like there is some sort of fortress-like garage just a few dozen feet from the front door. Is that usable for spectators?

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...ocal_result&ct=image&resnum=4&ved=0CA8Q_BIwAw

Click on "Street View" and pan a bit to the right.

It is. It's a public garage and does afford some parking. Thing is, there is a wedding/conference/banquet hall(next to Carom) that also uses that garage. If there is a big shindig going on, at the same time, you are screwed.

*edit-looks like my posts got someone's attention:
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=273795

Eric

Last edited:

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Amsterdam is about 20 minutes away.

Dennis,

I hate to say it, but whoever told you that is very wrong.

ABC is a bit of a hike. I would say it is more like 45-55 minutes by subway and possibly the same amount of time, by taxi (depending on traffic).

With the subway, you would have to take the 7, then transfer to a downtown Lexington Ave line (a green train). Dont forget that it is a 15 minute walk from Carom, to the subway stop and then, it's another 10 minute walk from the Union Square stop, to 11th & 4th ave (ABC).

Don't let it deter you, but I thought you would want to know.

Eric

iralee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NYC Billiards Extravaganza at Carom

I was at the Carom cafe a few years ago and was very impressed with the facility. I would say "yes" to spectator friendliness. If I remember correctly, The tables are below the viewing area. When I was there, I had thought, "What a great place for a tournament."
Very friendly staff, too.
Oh, and bring you appetite.

Hello Azbilliard fans,

Carom Cafe is an extremely spectator-friendly billiard room - it is both large (25,000 sq ft) and intimate at the same time.

We've arranged the room for big international televised billiard events in the past (i.e. Sang Lee International Open) and the owner Michael Kang works extremely hard to accomodate all the spectators well. He'll be bringing in additional staff, free valet parking service, as well as special bleacher seating. Past events have seated several hundred spectators. It's a comfortable place to come and stay all day long. [the food and full bar are terrific; besides regular burgers/fries and sandwiches, they serve various Korean-style dishes and Spanish rice/bean specials]

The plans for this extravaganza at Carom Cafe have been brewing for a while now and we're very proud/excited to showcase simultaneously, two top-notch billiard events during that week:

World 14.1 Tournament: Jul 29-Aug 3
Verhoeven Open 3-Cushion: Aug 1-Aug 5

Besides the greatest straight-pool players all under one roof, rumor has it that Raymond Ceulemans, Torbjorn Blomdahl and many other top-notch 3-cushion players will be present to compete.

EVERYONE that is serious about their billiards should not miss attending this rare event live - in person or via streaming.

As I see it, this event will be "Cueists Heaven" all week long.

-Ira

Vendors that are interested in reserving a booth can contact me about it: 917 579 2974 (only 3 or 4 to be made available)

iralee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NYC Billiards Extravaganza at Carom

I was at the Carom cafe a few years ago and was very impressed with the facility. I would say "yes" to spectator friendliness. If I remember correctly, The tables are below the viewing area. When I was there, I had thought, "What a great place for a tournament."
Very friendly staff, too.
Oh, and bring you appetite.

Hello Azbilliard fans,

Carom Cafe is an extremely spectator-friendly billiard room - it is both large (25,000 sq ft) and intimate at the same time.

We've arranged the room for big international televised billiard events in the past (i.e. Sang Lee International Open) and the owner Michael Kang works extremely hard to accomodate all the spectators well. He'll be bringing in additional staff, free valet parking service, as well as special bleacher seating. Past events have seated several hundred spectators. It's a comfortable place to come and stay all day long. [the food and full bar are terrific; besides regular burgers/fries and sandwiches, they serve various Korean-style dishes and Spanish rice/bean specials]

The plans for this extravaganza at Carom Cafe have been brewing for a while now and we're very proud/excited to showcase simultaneously, two top-notch billiard events during that week:

World 14.1 Tournament: Jul 29-Aug 3
Verhoeven Open 3-Cushion: Aug 1-Aug 5

Besides the greatest straight-pool players all under one roof, rumor has it that Raymond Ceulemans, Torbjorn Blomdahl and many other top-notch 3-cushion players will be present to compete.

EVERYONE that is serious about their billiards should not miss attending this rare event live - in person or via streaming.

As I see it, this event will be "Cueists Heaven" all week long.

-Ira

Vendors that are interested in reserving a booth can contact me about it: 917 579 2974 (only 3 or 4 to be made available)

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Hello Azbilliard fans,

-Ira

Which brings the question ... who will be streaming this event? :)

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Dennis,

I hate to say it, but whoever told you that is very wrong.

ABC is a bit of a hike. I would say it is more like 45-55 minutes by subway and possibly the same amount of time, by taxi (depending on traffic).

With the subway, you would have to take the 7, then transfer to a downtown Lexington Ave line (a green train). Dont forget that it is a 15 minute walk from Carom, to the subway stop and then, it's another 10 minute walk from the Union Square stop, to 11th & 4th ave (ABC).

Don't let it deter you, but I thought you would want to know.

Eric

It was mapquest.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
ah, so now we find it is JULY 29.

that's Different from AUGUST 29.

Bob- Sorry. I must have had a brain cramp. Charlie told me July 29 and my earlier post says August 29(same as last year). I just screwed up.

:embarrassed2:

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
"We've arranged the room for big international televised billiard events in the past (i.e. Sang Lee International Open) and the owner Michael Kang works extremely hard to accomodate all the spectators well. He'll be bringing in additional staff, free valet parking service, as well as special bleacher seating. Past events have seated several hundred spectators. It's a comfortable place to come and stay all day long. [the food and full bar are terrific; besides regular burgers/fries and sandwiches, they serve various Korean-style dishes and Spanish rice/bean specials]"

does the "free valet parking service" mean the Parking is free, or just the valet part?

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
14.1 'World' Tournament

Hi Dennis,

It was asked if this is a world tournament. Since this is NOT a WPA sanctioned event, then I do not believe it should be called a world tournament.

Once again, I applaud Dragon Promotions for their efforts in promoting the game of 14.1. But to keep calling it something that it is not - is misleading to the public.

(Dennis, at least I am consistent in my opinion :grin:)

Mark Griffin

PS - It does not have to be an argument - but everyone has the right to disagree.

Let's start that argument up again.

Who wants to be first?

:boring2:

Hector3cushion

Hector
Silver Member
Carom Cafe is a great place! it's my home room and I have seen many international events held there. I may have to take the week off!

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
Sounds good. It starts the day after my birthday. Maybe I can get a senior discount.

Bill and I were just looking online. 4 miles from LaGuardia. Amsterdam is about 20 minutes away. It sounds like we will be in the heart of Straight Pool Country. :D

If you are going to Amsterdam, take the train/metro or cab. Parking is virtually non existent and traffic can be bad.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Hi Dennis,

It was asked if this is a world tournament. Since this is NOT a WPA sanctioned event, then I do not believe it should be called a world tournament.

Once again, I applaud Dragon Promotions for their efforts in promoting the game of 14.1. But to keep calling it something that it is not - is misleading to the public.

Mark Griffin

PS - It does not have to be an argument - but everyone has the right to disagree.

Mark: I, too, applaud Dragon for helping to keep 14.1 alive. Like I told you at Derby, they can call it anything they want, as far as I am concerned. As long as they keep drawing great players and giving us the opportunity to watch great matches, I am happy.

If we straight pool fans had to wait for sanctioning before we could celebrate, with the WPA requirements these days, I am afraid we would have nothing to celebrate.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Hi Dennis,

Mark Griffin

You, are, of course, correct, but I'd suggest that is a "de facto" world championship. At least for now, it is the only 14.1 of the year in which there is a large, elite field with significant international participation.

I equate this to my view that Derby City features a "de facto" world bank pool championship, because, just like the Dragon 14.1 event, it offers the only large, elite, internationally balanced field of the year in the discipline.

Last edited: