Would players of today wipe the floor against past players....

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
everyone that has played 'Two Foul Rules' will adimately agree with what I'm saying.

Is that exception Rodney Morris?

If I recall accurately Rodney beat everyone at the US OPEN 10 Ball tournament decisively (although a few got the early lead).

Don't kid yourself, there's several American players that can win "for the cash".....and that, in many people's minds is more important than "tournament conditions". Johnny Archer, Dennis Hatch, and Rodney Morris are still three of the best players in the world on any given day playing races to 21 or higher.....please don't bring up the Mosconi Cup, we all know playing "races to 5" is not a true measure of expertise.

Also, the "One Foul Rules" are a joke and everyone that has played 'Two Foul Rules' will adimately agree with what I'm saying. One foul rules have very little in the way of strategy......there's only 3 choices:

1) Run the table

2) Kick and try to hit the object ball

3) Play safe

This is why pool is so boring, who wants to watch a game with little strategy and few "head to head" competitive situations? Two Foul Rules are 17 times better imho.

Certainly not the general public, that's for sure.........'The Game is the Teacher'

This is why the American players (with the exception of one) are way behind the other players in the world. There just isn't any money in pool in the USA. Why bust your ass for nothing. Don't get me wrong. If the money was there the USA players would be as good as anybody in the world (and have been when the money was there).

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
What on earth is sabotaging the United States of Pool.

Then there are many "exceptions" - there are no players that Rodney Morris can't beat and he proved that in the US OPEN 10 Ball tournament......then Rodney wasn't invited back to defend his title because of a silly scrutiny on Face Book (his private page).
Rodney-Morris.jpg

Something really wrong is going on and it's directly sabotaging the United States of Pool. So much has changed in the last 14 years and it's all negatively motivated.......the cycle must be broken to preserve the health and vibrancy of the teacher.

'The GAME is the teacher'

lol, I very much doubt it.

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll say this about the old timers, if you search youtube there is a fair amount of footage out there going back to the 60's

from what I've seen, and fwiw, none of them really impressed

Mosconi's trick shot exhibitions are a total joke all together....his book is a must read though

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is that exception Rodney Morris?
If I recall accurately Rodney beat everyone at the US OPEN 10 Ball tournament decisively (although a few got the early lead).

Don't kid yourself, there's several American players that can win "for the cash".....and that, in many people's minds is more important than "tournament conditions". Johnny Archer, Dennis Hatch, and Rodney Morris are still three of the best players in the world on any given day playing races to 21 or higher.....please don't bring up the Mosconi Cup, we all know playing "races to 5" is not a true measure of expertise.

Also, the "One Foul Rules" are a joke and everyone that has played 'Two Foul Rules' will adimately agree with what I'm saying. One foul rules have very little in the way of strategy......there's only 3 choices:

1) Run the table

2) Kick and try to hit the object ball

3) Play safe

This is why pool is so boring, who wants to watch a game with little strategy and few "head to head" competitive situations? Two Foul Rules are 17 times better imho.

Certainly not the general public, that's for sure.........'The Game is the Teacher'

I was actually thinking of SVB. However I agree that one foul ball in hand rules with alternate break is a complete joke. Where is the skill? Make a couple of balls and play safe. Roll out with winner breaks will bring back the best players to the top.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ruining the game should not have ever been an option!!!

That's correct, and back in the heyday of pool's gambling we ONLY played '2 Shot Roll Out' (SHOOT OUT) and the game was so much more fun......I mean "night and day"..

I really can't believe the promoters managed to get "one foul" as the game of tournaments (for Pros, with amateurs it really doesn't matter as much) when it's so much worse and boring to play.....it does speed up the tournaments and since there's much more luck it probably extends the fields slightly too.

....and at what expense??? Ruining the game should not have every been an option!!!

'The Game is the Teacher'

I was actually thinking of SVB. However I agree that one foul ball in hand rules with alternate break is a complete joke. Where is the skill? Make a couple of balls and play safe. Roll out with winner breaks will bring back the best players to the top.

JA was winning a lot in the 90's.
Would he better today against SVB. Orcollo and Ko ?

I'd say Johnny was just as good as SVB. As far as being the dominant US player it's the same. Nobody was a close second then. Every day SVB pulls away from rest of US talent imo. He also has a long time to be king of the hill.

JA was winning a lot in the 90's.
Would he better today against SVB. Orcollo and Ko ?

I'd say Johnny was just as good as SVB. As far as being the dominant US player it's the same. Nobody was a close second then. Every day SVB pulls away from rest of US talent imo. He also has a long time to be king of the hill.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's correct, and back in the heyday of pool's gambling we ONLY played '2 Shot Roll Out' (SHOOT OUT) and the game was so much more fun......I mean "night and day"..

I really can't believe the promoters managed to get "one foul" as the game of tournaments (for Pros, with amateurs it really doesn't matter as much) when it's so much worse and boring to play.....it does speed up the tournaments and since there's much more luck it probably extends the fields slightly too.

....and at what expense??? Ruining the game should not have every been an option!!!

'The Game is the Teacher'

CJ -

One other thing against it, is most of us have never played it.

I have never played 2 shot pushout. Now the old timers in the poolhall I played out echoed your comments (Buddy Hall and Dickie Todd), but for the majority of folks, including the league players have never played it.

Honestly, hard for us to judge a game we have never played.

Ken

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
So you want to ask yourself this very important question:

"What has kept me from playing the greatest pool game ever invented?"

The answer may surprise you........

CJ -

One other thing against it, is most of us have never played it.

I have never played 2 shot pushout. Now the old timers in the poolhall I played out echoed your comments (Buddy Hall and Dickie Todd), but for the majority of folks, including the league players have never played it.

Honestly, hard for us to judge a game we have never played.

Ken

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member

"What has kept me from playing the greatest pool game ever invented?"

The answer may surprise you........

I created a thread titled "Can someone point me to 2-foul 9-ball rules?"

No one could. I'd really like to try this version of the game, but how can I play it if I can't find the rules?

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
Guys like SVB or Efren, would these guys punish the players of the past such as Fats, Greenleaf and Mosconi?

I think they would clean their clocks. Might have to buy them a cab ride home though.

I've watched old videos of pool and some of them in today's standards would be your typical league player.

This is nothing impressive...compared to today's standards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRKw56oAA-E

I'm speculating that guys like Joe Balsis would just smash their
f**kin' faces in the first time they mouthed off or played Rap Music.

I created a thread titled "Can someone point me to 2-foul 9-ball rules?"

No one could. I'd really like to try this version of the game, but how can I play it if I can't find the rules?

If you read my posts in this thread http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=340453 and ignore the losers who insisted there are only 2 ways to play or the occasional person who insists there is only 1 way to play it, then you will learn how to play it how it suits you.

ONB

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Watching the 14.1 world tournament going on right now in my opinion guys like Mizerak, Sigel, Varner, Rempe, and Hopkins knew how to play straight pool better, generally speaking, than the current crop of players.