Would you help your opponent??

VIProfessor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course the difference is one situation is life-and-death while the other situation is a game. I tend to act differently in those two situations.

Dave

Granted, there is a difference, but make no mistake. We can be friends outside the box, and even inside the box it is hoped that we will compete with courtesy and honor. But you're trying to "kill" me and I'm trying to "kill" you. And I will offer you no assistance whatsoever in your nefarious endeavor. :)

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Maybe offering to sell it to him for a profit would be appropriate to make the point that he shoud have one. If he does not want to buy it, don't let him use it to drive home the point.

Then when he is still fumbling with the bad bridge, offer to rent it to him for the price of a beer. If he refuses don't let him use it.

Then when he is still fumbling around with the bad bridge say, 'okay you can use it, but just this one time.:wink:

In any case the call should be yours & not that of your team mate.

Last edited:

Banks

Banned
This better not have been on barboxes, because this whole thing would be null and void (unless it is a vertically-challenged league).

I probably wouldn't care either way, unless we're talking something more serious than league play.

JC

Coos Cues
I will loan almost anyone my jump stick. It leads to ball in hand more than it leads to a loss.

JC

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Our little APA league isn't on the same level as you guys, RJ, so I guess I can understand the frustration.

Here, the biggest room we play league out of has maybe 3 bridges for 17 tables. I set my cheapo moosehead up on my cheapo starter cue, and let anyone use it that wants or needs to. The other two people in our league that carry their own bridges do the same.

The comparison to loaning break cues or other equipment isn't accurate, in my opinion. But that's just me.

(Incidentally, I have loaned my break cue to a couple of my friends on other teams, once when they were playing me. We're friends, and league should be fun. If it was the playoffs, maybe not, but i'm not sure.)

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Scotch Doubles last night, my opponents wife hooked him on the 8.
He went looking for a jump cue to borrow. I gave him mine, Flying Eagle, which is not much more than a stick. I was thinking, if you can make this stick work, more power to ya Bud. I can't.

He made the jump but didn't pocket the 8. It was just Doubles which in our league is more of a friendly get together for a night.

Had it have been Team and my opponent would have hooked himself, I wouldn't have offered the use of any equipment.

I agree with RJ, there are classy moves and then there is just plain dumb.

tksix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I kinda agree with "blah blah" on this one. I personally would borrow my opponent anything if they asked, except my playing cue.

But a teammate should mind their own game, and their own business.

Mike

tksix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You would think with a league that size they could afford new bridge heads.

Mike

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
The issue isn't you, your opponent or any of us: it's your teammate.

Since he was not one of the players or a referee, he should not have injected himself into the game in any way. But some people are just naturally courteous and helpful and forget about the rules when they see someone in need.

Clearly, he's not an Illinois state employee.

I like ur answer.......and no, he is not a state employee but only cause he is not qualified .....I kid. I kid.....my teammate is a member of azb :)

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Our little APA league isn't on the same level as you guys, RJ, so I guess I can understand the frustration.

Here, the biggest room we play league out of has maybe 3 bridges for 17 tables. I set my cheapo moosehead up on my cheapo starter cue, and let anyone use it that wants or needs to. The other two people in our league that carry their own bridges do the same.

The comparison to loaning break cues or other equipment isn't accurate, in my opinion. But that's just me.

(Incidentally, I have loaned my break cue to a couple of my friends on other teams, once when they were playing me. We're friends, and league should be fun. If it was the playoffs, maybe not, but i'm not sure.)

Hey dub...yeah...we play on 16 gold crowns covered in Simons, and its a highly competitive league....

I play softball with my friends in a comp league and will break up a double play in a heartbeat but not on my work softball team which is just a recreation league..

Also, I ply apa and wld have no problem with it,,,,but just a diff animal in this league......and the folks that don't know the diff usualy don't last long....

Lumocolor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing in the summer league finals here and my opponent who was a woman had one of those rare shot you run into on a 9 footer where if youre not tall enough you need to use a bridge and a cue extension to reach, i loaned her my extension and she made the final 8 ball.

The winning team gets their name on and picture taken with a $30 trophy, big deal, i'm there to have fun and meet people. There is no cash prize or trip around the world.

PC_John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe you should take this up with your team members.

The main issue as stated, is your team member getting involved in your game without your invitation. The whole team should know how you feel about this, and the team as a whole can decide how to handle this in the future.

My opinion is, your team member was wrong. Team members should be supporting your effort, not helping the enemy beat you. This is competition, friendly or otherwise.

Tell the other guy how he could have played a better safe or picked a better shot, fine. Show him a better piece of equipment that could help his game, fine. After the game is over! :smile:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I was playing in the summer league finals here and my opponent who was a woman had one of those rare shot you run into on a 9 footer where if youre not tall enough you need to use a bridge and a cue extension to reach, i loaned her my extension and she made the final 8 ball.

The winning team gets their name on and picture taken with a $30 trophy, big deal, i'm there to have fun and meet people. There is no cash prize or trip around the world.

Not really sure what ur point is??

guelphdad

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is a highly competitive league as you say so there is a bit more than friendliness/comraderie on the line.

1) he asks his team for a rake
2) failing that, if he knows you have a bridge he could use better than the house one, he asks you and you are free to decline
3) your teammate was out of order, it could cost you the game

In league play a weak ago, where we rack our own balls, as my opponent walked to the break end of the table I saw the head ball roll off the spot slightly. There were no teammates around the table for either of us. I mentioned to him he may have wanted to take a look as the balls were "loose". He appreciated that and said so. That's sportsmanship, but MY call to make, or someone from his team to point out should they have noticed. But for one of my teammates to have pointed it out? i would have been upset.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Best answer

Maybe you should take this up with your team members.

The main issue as stated, is your team member getting involved in your game without your invitation. The whole team should know how you feel about this, and the team as a whole can decide how to handle this in the future.

My opinion is, your team member was wrong. Team members should be supporting your effort, not helping the enemy beat you. This is competition, friendly or otherwise.

Tell the other guy how he could have played a better safe or picked a better shot, fine. Show him a better piece of equipment that could help his game, fine. After the game is over! :smile:

I personally like your response and that of PT109 the best.
The other posters tend to look at it as a game in a singles match, when it's a game in a team match.

I carry my own bridge head because in most places in my town the old bridges (if you can find one) are those cheapies with the sharp edges, that I wouldn't want my cue to ever meet. So during a league match, my bridge head is attached to a wall cue and is standing where it's available to my teammates, and opponents if they ask.

I wouldn't OFFER it to any opponent because I have a responsibility to my teammates to do my best to win the game. Now, if the game wasn't important (wouldn't affect the standings) then that might be different.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I do not understand why a teammate offered the bridge head unsolicited to YOUR opponent. I would be mad too. As the player in the match, I would probably help him, but for my teammate to do it?

I think it should be up the players only to decide whether to help each other. If I didn't have a bridge and 'wanted' to help my opponent and knew that my teammate did, I might ask him for it, but it is not my teammate's decision to jump in and offer. Either way, if your team would have lost because of this (whether it was you or your teammate offering) it would have taken another tone. Some decisions are tough to live with, right or wrong.

And, I can't believe that a team of A's that compete at a high level wouldn't have one bridge head between them. The player may have just about been ready to ask one of them and this would have been avoided.

Dave

ignomirello

Tony IGGY
Silver Member
I still won the game and most likely why I laughed it off afterwards... but c'mon ??

keyword here GAME

I had a player playing against me named Dennis Kennedy in a Tournament.
I had a headach he gave me something to help my headach.
I won the match. Did he show sportsmanship? YES
We forget it's a game.
Would I lend equipment to my opponet yes most of the time.
Whatever you might help them with will probably have very little to do with the outcome.
If it does oh well it will go full circle.