WPA bans......................

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's start out with the obvious. Matchroom is the best thing to happen to professional pool EVER. With that said, Matchroom started this conflict when they decided to go out on their own, ignore the WPA, and schedule events on top of other "dedicated" event dates. Matchroom, by doing so, are forcing players to make choices, and in my opinion, trying to make other promotions go away so that they have a monopoly, just like in snooker. Does anybody think the WPA is just going to take it? They can see the handwriting on the wall if they do nothing. I certainly don't they're going to stand pat, but they are going to have to compete for the players loyalty, which means increasing the payouts. I for one hope to see increased payouts for the players, and I hope they both prosper, but at least one side of this equation will not be happy, either way.

I should have said "THINK" they're going to stand pat.
Best thing for WPA would be to remain as a rule-making body and look after amateur pool. Let the MR's/Pred-CSI's etc. look after the pro game.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Is the Israeli Association for Billiard Sports pushing for a ban on Palestinian players?

justnum

Silver Member
WPA rules:

1696703809607.png

What do they do when the financial statements are analyzed?

Who will try to beat the financial statement reporting fraud mechanism?

This is the one for the Filipinos under ACBS:

1696703923414.png

justnum

Silver Member
Billiards was once endorsed by the church. All countries will participate for universal acceptance. The promotion of billiards in 1912 seems like a nationalist movement.

1696708557309.png

Attachments

• billiardsurvival.pdf
    598.9 KB · Views: 80

Guy Manges

Registered
ACBS's only real power is having China on board. The rest of their members don't really move the needle in world pool. Matchroom is driving the pro pool bus for the time being and i don't think they give a rat's about the ACBS.
Let's hope it STAYS like that, Its a big pool world we live in... Guy

Guy Manges

Registered
There wasn't enough pool to fill a full calendar years ago.
The supply of traveling pool players is too low to meet the demands of all the new events and new unproven promoters and unknown refs.

In the interest of all events, its best if there were more players interested in federation play or Matchroom play. Then both systems can be successful. Now the burden is on local federations and Matchroom to create pathway programs for players. The sport has to grow by player size now.

The problem with the current climate is few players are thinking about the future generations of players that Asia has planned. The Middle East also has plans to create foundational superstars for their region.

Americans tried to popularize pool and it was an image of hustling, gambling and poor road choices.

Asian and Middle Eastern nations may use pool to project a different image for its players.

Omar Al Shaheen is a very different professional as a sport ambassador than someone like a Mika Immonen.
Mika is known to have a visible emotional reaction at events. You don't want him holding the trigger in tense situations, he could accidentally get trigger happy.

Omar has more of a Middle Eastern calm and discipline. Soft spoken and well thought out before he speaks or acts.

The federation players don't have to be that good to rack for the real pros.
Word for word... Guy

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder if a promoter could go with both. For example Pat and the international Open. He’s been sanctioning with the WPA, and I believe but not certain this year also a MR ranking event. Would that still be ok?

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's start out with the obvious. Matchroom is the best thing to happen to professional pool EVER. With that said, Matchroom started this conflict when they decided to go out on their own, ignore the WPA, and schedule events on top of other "dedicated" event dates. Matchroom, by doing so, are forcing players to make choices, and in my opinion, trying to make other promotions go away so that they have a monopoly, just like in snooker. Does anybody think the WPA is just going to take it? They can see the handwriting on the wall if they do nothing. I certainly don't they're going to stand pat, but they are going to have to compete for the players loyalty, which means increasing the payouts. I for one hope to see increased payouts for the players, and I hope they both prosper, but at least one side of this equation will not be happy, either way.

I should have said "THINK" they're going to stand pat.
I too hope thye both prosper, but I dont think Matchroom really started the fight? I mean how long did the WPA sit around a do little or nothing to get the players real prize Money and they still haven't. You want to keep your employees, pay them a lot, you want to keep your customers, give them a good product and treat them good.

What about two events every month, one by each organization, with event dates that dont conflict, so that the players have a chance to make some real Money until the sponsorship Money gets to a place where you dont have to finish in the top 5 or 6 to get by?

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually there's FAR more $$ in pro pool now than in the last 25yrs. Because of that you've got the organizing bodies and promoters fighting over how the pie gets sliced up. This will get sorted out but before that it will be a bit like making sausage.
WPA sucks of late.
Laying down ultimatums usually backfires.

justnum

Silver Member
Youth are experiencing liberation for more pool time. Lawmakers support and agree law is outdated.

Its a pool win. This is the power of the WPA. Get your suppliers ready and put production into overdrive.

Pool players are no longer mentally immature individuals. Thank you WPA.

1696725295914.png

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Let's not frame this turf war as good vs evil. This is just hardcore business.

Matchroom and WPA both have things to offer to the modern professional pool player. In an intentionally oversimplified comparison, a) Matchroom offers better venues, better productions and has four major events that have no entry fee for those able to earn a place (Premier League Pool, World Pool Masters, World Cup of Pool, and the Mosconi Cup and b) WPA offers a few big events and, as pool's delegate to the IOC/WCBS, gets the national federations Olympic money, some of which flows down to the players in many countries.

Each would like as big a market share as is possible in the pro game, but they have very different approaches and very different attributes as they attempt to achieve their goals. Pro pool is growing right now, so more is at stake now than was the case a few years ago.

In the end, what WPA decrees is far less important than how the most elite players react to the new framework imposed upon them. I think our collective apprehension is justified, but it's best to keep an open mind here.

Fans want what's best for both the players and the professional pool product. Let's see if we get it.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That right there is the crux of it. On one side you have entrepreneurial spirit. MR putting up money, building their product, growing their product, getting paid on their success. On the other side, you have the federations sucking on the govt nipple to get that IOC taxpayer money.

MR has incentive to grow. WPA does not. They will get that govt nipple to the federations regardless.

mista335

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With that said, Matchroom started this conflict when they decided to go out on their own, ignore the WPA, and schedule events on top of other "dedicated" event dates.

Well no.

Barry Hearn pretty clearly explained in a lengthy video saying that after more than a year of trying to get the WPA to officially recognise Matchroom's nineball rankings they decided they will no longer seek WPA sanctioning for their events and obviously no longer pay any sanctioning fees.

justnum

Silver Member
Billiards was played before the Civil War and After.

Why was Billiards only reserved for the elite?

Its been a while since the White House had an president with an active billiard hobby. Maybe its time the POTUS picked up the habit.

The WCBS World Confederation. Confederates were the losing team in the Civil War.

Robert Lee a Union General and later Confederate General was an Army Corp of Engineer.

Billiards may have a more intriguing history if you look into the incomplete records. Back then installing a billiard table was like building a super computer. Its possible the table was used a map to coordinate messages.

For the table mechanics what leveling tools do you have today that were not available during the time of 1860s?

1696740589990.png

Last edited:

Zerksies

It’s all going to boil down to $$. As we can see the WPA has done such a great job over the years 🤣. The players are going to go like any other sport out there, they are going to go where the money is at.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What this is boiling down to is the WPA feels threatened. The WPA cannot or will not be able to compete fairly, which is why the are trying to bully the professional players instead of trying to compete with Matchroom. This is not a good strategy. I think it will be a big flop. Matchroom just has to stay on course.

I predict, eventually, the WPA will make a deal. They are making their own shit sandwich and will eventually have to eat it.