Wuxi Classic 2014 Qualifiers

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alex could have come back and won the first frame but scratched on the yellow. Second frame was a big run by Maguire. Alex needs to spend a couple years pounding balls into pockets on a snooker table, but his safety game is quite good already.

You can duck and weave against lower players but the higher up the ladder you go the less effect it has ,, you need big package running ability to play with the big dogs

Magog30

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's over. 5-0. Alex ran 46 and then played safe but left a red to the side. Alex could have taken that frame. He didn't play great, the 1st and final frame were his best.

Magog30

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can duck and weave against lower players but the higher up the ladder you go the less effect it has ,, you need big package running ability to play with the big dogs

Yes, Alex needs to work on his "big package running ability".

DGilb147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never mind fair play to him he had a go

scoring needed to be heavier

I hope we can see more of him.

Boro Nut

Moderrator
Silver Member

5-0. I could only watch the scores ticking over but it looked pretty one way traffic at times. How did it look live?

It's the Australian Open qualifiers up next. I don't think the big dogs are playing in that one, unless they get a bye to the competition proper. Much more chance for Alex to make an impression (and other lower ranked pros obviously). It will be a much better gauge of how he fares down with the dead men. Any volunteers to start a thread for that one Chesscat?

Boro Nut

snarzberry

Registered
Alex had a chance to score heavily in frame 5, with 4 or 5 loose reds and with the pink and black in the clear. He scored 40 odd but then the split on the bunch didn't work out, forcing him to play safe to the black cushion. Terrific pot from there by Maguire into the centre bag who cleared to the brown. Then there was a safety battle but in the end alex stuck it over the middle and that was all she wrote. Alex played some good safety during the match and potted two great long potts in the final frame, one of them was brilliant. He didn't have loads of opportunities, but will be disappointed about not making the most of the ones he got. Maguire on cruise control, won at a canter it must be said. This is just a blip and I will follow alex's matches with interest and wish him luck. Cue action looks a little stabby.

Last edited:

DaddysVisa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Basically Alex played poorly, and Maguire played quite well. As expected, Alex's safety game was pretty good. He actually beat Maguire to the balls in 3 of the games but didn't score enough to hurt him. In one of the games Maguire played kind of a wild black, missed it, smashing the pack wide open and spreading reds all over the table but after the cueball flew around the table it ended up frozen to a red up by the yellow leaving Alex no shot and no easy safety, with reds in front of three of the pockets. That was at 3-0 and would have been a fairly good chance at a frame winning break given how the reds spread. Maguire ended up making the big break himself after Alex couldn't find a way out of the pickle. What really killed Alex was Maguire's long-potting. I think he was 7/7 or something from long range.

DGilb147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
5-0. I could only watch the scores ticking over but it looked pretty one way traffic at times. How did it look live?

It's the Australian Open qualifiers up next. I don't think the big dogs are playing in that one, unless they get a bye to the competition proper. Much more chance for Alex to make an impression (and other lower ranked pros obviously). It will be a much better gauge of how he fares down with the dead men. Any volunteers to start a thread for that one Chesscat?

Boro Nut

I watched it live ( could have gone to the venue 30 miles away) he did look out of his depth, I heard him comment to the ref after the match on the black that he missed off the spot, whether that effected him i doubt, considering his experience.

I did not think Maguire was taking the first frame seriously, playing snooker escapes with too much pace.Once Maguire got his first decent break in, it seemed game over for Alex.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched it live ( could have gone to the venue 30 miles away) he did look out of his depth, I heard him comment to the ref after the match on the black that he missed off the spot, whether that effected him i doubt, considering his experience.

I did not think Maguire was taking the first frame seriously, playing snooker escapes with too much pace.Once Maguire got his first decent break in, it seemed game over for Alex.

I highly doubt he took the match very seriously ,,

Boro Nut

Moderrator
Silver Member
It's a shame that it seems to be mainly snooker adherents paying attention to Alex's exploits, and the initial flurry of interest seems to have evaporated. Personally, of all the amateurs, I have to say I'd rather watch Alex and Corey having a go than just about anyone else, or any other crossover player like a Stalev or a Blohmdahl for that matter. It's so much more intriguing.

I also think it would be great for snooker for Alex to at least hold his own in the lower echelons, or - dare we dream - make an appearance on the televised stages, if only to keep the interest of the remaining US audience sufficiently piqued to go out and try the game for themselves. I think he's made really good progress, and hope he is enjoying the experience enough to want more. If this thread is any indication though, only a triumphal cavalcade sweeping all before him will suffice.

Boro Nut

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a shame that it seems to be mainly snooker adherents paying attention to Alex's exploits, and the initial flurry of interest seems to have evaporated. Personally, of all the amateurs, I have to say I'd rather watch Alex and Corey having a go than just about anyone else, or any other crossover player like a Stalev or a Blohmdahl for that matter. It's so much more intriguing.

I also think it would be great for snooker for Alex to at least hold his own in the lower echelons, or - dare we dream - make an appearance on the televised stages, if only to keep the interest of the remaining US audience sufficiently piqued to go out and try the game for themselves. I think he's made really good progress, and hope he is enjoying the experience enough to want more. If this thread is any indication though, only a triumphal cavalcade sweeping all before him will suffice.

Boro Nut

It's just a reflection of how interested Americans about cue sports in general ,,, if he was doing well he would have at least kept the ones who wanted to say ,, " See Snookers not so hard " interested , but most of those knew he was done before he even started ,, paper fans

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

Boro Nut

I think a lot of folks are paying attention to Alex' run. Maybe we don't always have a comment. I was sleeping when it went off as a I would have loved to watch it live but I forgot to set an alarm.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
It's just a reflection of how interested Americans about cue sports in general ,,, if he was doing well he would have at least kept the ones who wanted to say ,, " See Snookers not so hard " interested , but most of those knew he was done before he even started ,, paper fans

Oh bullshit. You are the right now the most negative person on AZB. Can I send you a trophy? I mean we have some really negative people now and had some over the years but you spot all of them the 6 and are stealing.

I can't recall one single positive post by you on ANY subject. You must be a joy to be around in real life.

We are wishing Alex well and hoping he trains hard and learns the game. Of course he isn't going to just run out there and knock off the top guys right away. They aren't going to play him some pool and knock him off right away either.

If you think so then I have $10,000 sitting here ready to give Alex to add to whatever he wants to bet that he will DRILL Maguire and every other top snooker pro RIGHT NOW in a high stakes one pocket match.

This is a marathon not a sprint. None of us have ever said snooker is easy. Pool is not easy either.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh bullshit. You are the right now the most negative person on AZB. Can I send you a trophy? I mean we have some really negative people now and had some over the years but you spot all of them the 6 and are stealing.

I can't recall one single positive post by you on ANY subject. You must be a joy to be around in real life.

We are wishing Alex well and hoping he trains hard and learns the game. Of course he isn't going to just run out there and knock off the top guys right away. They aren't going to play him some pool and knock him off right away either.

If you think so then I have $10,000 sitting here ready to give Alex to add to whatever he wants to bet that he will DRILL Maguire and every other top snooker pro RIGHT NOW in a high stakes one pocket match.

This is a marathon not a sprint. None of us have ever said snooker is easy. Pool is not easy either.

Listen to the guys who posts YouTube videos tearing down other peoples work
You crack me up ,, you rarely have anything good to say about anything
I think I will send a email to the Mods asking why they keep banning your for all you positive postings

What's the matter John you disappointed that you can't stand on top of the podium preaching how you told us so , we have heard your BS time and time again
Why don't you tell us one more time how CTE is going to propel you past Lou to collect the 20k
Oh ! That's right you already lost that match

Now to the subject ,, Alex is a 2 time Canadian Champion if you think he is new to the game your sadly mistaken ,

The fact is none of the top snooker players have any reason to jump over to pool however if they did it would take them far less time to learn the game as their fundamentals coming out of the pocket are far better and pool games are not that hard to understand .. We have seen this in the Woman repeatedly
Yes one pocket would be that exception , mainly because you rarely bank in snooker ,,

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Listen to the guys who posts YouTube videos tearing down other peoples work
You crack me up ,, you rarely have anything good to say about anything
I think I will send a email to the Mods asking why they keep banning your for all you positive postings

What's the matter John you disappointed that you can't stand on top of the podium preaching how you told us so , we have heard your BS time and time again
Why don't you tell us one more time how CTE is going to propel you past Lou to collect the 20k
Oh ! That's right you already lost that match

Now to the subject ,, Alex is a 2 time Canadian Champion if you think he is new to the game your sadly mistaken ,

The fact is none of the top snooker players have any reason to jump over to pool however if they did it would take them far less time to learn the game as their fundamentals coming out of the pocket are far better and pool games are not that hard to understand .. We have seen this in the Woman repeatedly
Yes one pocket would be that exception , mainly because you rarely bank in snooker ,,

Now it's all about me. Yes I make videos showing where my competition comes up short because that's what COMPETITION in business is about. It's not kumbaya around the campfire. Funny though, you NEVER knock my competition when they get negative on my work? Hmmm, wonder why?

You're just a hater through and through, nothing else. A never was that never will be. Mark Andrews, a nobody from Chesapeake who only gets off on knocking. That's who you are.

The entire body of your posts on AZB is all negative knocking posts. Nothing nice, nothing congratulatory, nothing good at all. You go out of your way to bring people down.

You don't help anyone in this community in any way.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now it's all about me. Yes I make videos showing where my competition comes up short because that's what COMPETITION in business is about. It's not kumbaya around the campfire. Funny though, you NEVER knock my competition when they get negative on my work? Hmmm, wonder why?

You're just a hater through and through, nothing else. A never was that never will be. Mark Andrews, a nobody from Chesapeake who only gets off on knocking. That's who you are.

The entire body of your posts on AZB is all negative knocking posts. Nothing nice, nothing congratulatory, nothing good at all. You go out of your way to bring people down.

You don't help anyone in this community in any way.

That's funny I was in business for myself at one time and I never bashed the completion and I know plenty of others that would never stoop to such lows

You may believe in your own self absorbed world ,,that some your more important than I am ,, if that makes you feel good and gets you any closer to heaven good for you ,,

Since most subjects are in the for of banter yes it would be easy to pic out what would be considered by you negative ,, since your stance obviously don't align with mine
Just like in the last thread where I simply have pointed out the obvious to most
Sorry if that just happens to rub you the wrong way ,,
However we all know that if Alex had won you would have been standing on top of the podium in your creative way of mincing words bad mouthing the snooker snobs
The only reason we are having this conversation is because your upset that you are wrong ,, nothing new in either account

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
That's funny I was in business for myself at one time and I never bashed the completion and I know plenty of others that would never stoop to such lows

You may believe in your own self absorbed world ,,that some your more important than I am ,, if that makes you feel good and gets you any closer to heaven good for you ,,

Since most subjects are in the for of banter yes it would be easy to pic out what would be considered by you negative ,, since your stance obviously don't align with mine
Just like in the last thread where I simply have pointed out the obvious to most
Sorry if that just happens to rub you the wrong way ,,
However we all know that if Alex had won you would have been standing on top of the podium in your creative way of mincing words bad mouthing the snooker snobs
The only reason we are having this conversation is because your upset that you are wrong ,, nothing new in either account

I don't bad mouth the snooker snobs, I simply said that they make a habit of saying what they think is impossible and putting down pool players. Which they do. I said I am happy to see Alex and Corey taking on this challenge and wish them well. I would be very happy if they have success because I happen to be a positive person who believes in human capability. You are a negative person who believes that people have limits that they cannot overcome. So that leaves us opposed on just about everything in life.

As for your comment about business, maybe that's why you HAD a business and I HAVE a business. Again though not once have I seen you criticize my competitors who have bad-mouthed me on AZB. You must be a selective moral critic.

bounoun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well ofcourse, snooker and one pocket are two radical different games. Who knows, maybe Maguire hasnt played a single rack of one pocket in his live.

Look, Alex can play, ofcourse he can. But he cant compete with the snooker pros. Look at some of the guys who didnt survive the tour last year, they can all make centuries like its nothing. Without the scoring power (making 70+ breaks for lunch) you are are so far behind on the other pros. Some of them have done nothing but play snooker for the past years and even they struggle to survive.

I have no doubt that if Alex started playing snooker full time since he was a teenager he would be a top 16 player for sure. He has the talent and most import the mental strenght. I've seen top snooker pros lose matches after losing a frame they should have won. Alex doenst have that, he can miss a hanger but it doenst affect him mentally, he just goes on like nothing happend.