Wwyd?

Club Billiards

Absolute Billiard Service
Silver Member
I wanted to see how you guys would handle this situation. While on a work trip this summer, I had someone move and setup a table for me in my absence and tear down another. Now, I trust this person with anything, and he is qualified to do the work.

When I got back in town, and it came time to settle up, he handed me a quarter of a couple of washed checks that had been left in his pants pocket and apologized for the oversight. :rolleyes: One of the customers was no big deal. I just took him what was left of the check and he wrote me a new one.

The other guy, however, I called him to explain the mistake and ask if I could come over and have the check replaced. I told him I have what's left of it to give back to him so he didn't think I was trying to pull one over on him. He told me he was glad I called because his table is rolling a little funny. No big deal, since I warranty my company's work, even it's not me personally doing it, so yeah, I'd come out, strip it down to the slate and relevel it for no charge.

When the date came to do the work, he had a family emergency RIGHT before we were to arrive and told me he would call me back to arrange another date. Well, since then (about 3 months ago now) I've made several calls (none of which were answered), left several messages (none of which were returned), and even sent a letter, a copy of the invoice and a photocopy of what's left of the check.

Now I don't want to sound threatening, since it was a representative of my company that made the mistake. I just want paid, and I want to finish this job.

How would you guys handle this? Do I have any legal recourse against the customer?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I wanted to see how you guys would handle this situation. While on a work trip this summer, I had someone move and setup a table for me in my absence and tear down another. Now, I trust this person with anything, and he is qualified to do the work.

When I got back in town, and it came time to settle up, he handed me a quarter of a couple of washed checks that had been left in his pants pocket and apologized for the oversight. :rolleyes: One of the customers was no big deal. I just took him what was left of the check and he wrote me a new one.

The other guy, however, I called him to explain the mistake and ask if I could come over and have the check replaced. I told him I have what's left of it to give back to him so he didn't think I was trying to pull one over on him. He told me he was glad I called because his table is rolling a little funny. No big deal, since I warranty my company's work, even it's not me personally doing it, so yeah, I'd come out, strip it down to the slate and relevel it for no charge.

When the date came to do the work, he had a family emergency RIGHT before we were to arrive and told me he would call me back to arrange another date. Well, since then (about 3 months ago now) I've made several calls (none of which were answered), left several messages (none of which were returned), and even sent a letter, a copy of the invoice and a photocopy of what's left of the check.

Now I don't want to sound threatening, since it was a representative of my company that made the mistake. I just want paid, and I want to finish this job.

How would you guys handle this? Do I have any legal recourse against the customer?

You go there in person to clear up the matter...but you don't pay your help...until the matter IS cleared up...because the fault lays on him;)

JZMechanix

Silver Member
No big deal, since I warranty my company's work, even it's not me personally doing it, so yeah, I'd come out, strip it down to the slate and relevel it for no charge.
Don't mean to get off topic here but did your employee use the 3M glue method? If so how do you remove the bed cloth and be able to reapply it? :shrug:

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
Use it on a smaller table next time. You can use it for rails, pocket liners, break cloths it never goes to waste just makes for expensive spare parts.

Craig

JZMechanix

Silver Member
Use it on a smaller table next time. You can use it for rails, pocket liners, break cloths it never goes to waste just makes for expensive spare parts.

Craig

Good idea, but what I meant was if he gets called back to have to relevel a table it would be darn near impossible to reinstall the bed cloth if the 3m glue method was used (that is assuming that the excess overhang on the bed cloth was trimmed off by the edge of the slate.) I doubt Josh has any intentions of eating the cost of the bed cloth and having to put a new piece on. ;)

Wow guys no one can answer his question? First off I would not just go over a customers house and say hey pay me. Sent a registered letter, including your invoice, and letter about payment being extremely late and overdue. When the letter is received keep the confirmation, you will need this. Afterwards I believe you need to go to your local DA, sherriff, courthouse, something like that (may need to do a little research) and file a complaint. The registered letter will show that he did, in fact, receive the letter.

scruffy1

Silver Member
I have to disagree and definitely would show up at his house and in a VERY polite way mention you just happened to be in the neighborhood and wished to take care of his leveling issues. Then collect!

To try and collect through legal channels, It would be way too easy for him to dispute that the job was not done to his satisfaction and not wished you back. Not worth the headache in my opinion.

Donny Wessels

Silver Member

Josh, ultimately your responsible for getting the table level. It should be done at the same time your getting paid. Secondly, it was your subcontractor job to get you the payment, a very important part of the job that he failed on.

Club Billiards

Absolute Billiard Service
Silver Member
Josh, ultimately your responsible for getting the table level. It should be done at the same time your getting paid. Secondly, it was your subcontractor job to get you the payment, a very important part of the job that he failed on.

Agreed. All I want to do is get this guy to commit to a time to schedule to get all of this resolved.

I'm thinking at this point that the guy feels like he got the move and setup for free and maybe he can live with the level issue if it means not having to pay for the work that we've already done. Kind of a dead-beat move, but times are still tough in Dayton, despite what the "experts" say about the economy. ;) But I'm getting off track.

Rob, the guy is not a forum member that I know of, but who knows how many people read without signing up for a membership.

The guy that did the work has already been paid through some of the other work that was done during the time I was gone.

Scruffy, I agree with your point, and fear that if I pursue it legally and get shut down, that closes all doors to getting paid, and it would be easy enough for him to argue. HOWEVER, I do have an invoice with his signature acknowledging that the work was completed to his satisfaction. I'm thinking your suggestion may be the best at this point. I'll try to call a couple more times and see what happens, then pay him a (polite) visit.

Wish me luck! ;)