Yapp banned from WPA tournament?

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Anyone figure out the details behind the ACBS’ decision to ban the Singapore team (including Yapp) from the Formosa open in Taiwan? It seems like it was based on the new WPA license requirement that players refrain from non-WPA (eg, Matchroom) events?

Edit: looks like it has to do with Singapore hosting some English Billiards tournament that the WPA didn’t sanction.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone figure out the details behind the ACBS’ decision to ban the Singapore team (including Yapp) from the Formosa open in Taiwan? It seems like it was based on the new WPA license requirement that players refrain from non-WPA (eg, Matchroom) events?

Edit: looks like it has to do with Singapore hosting some English Billiards tournament that the WPA didn’t sanction.

this sounds extremely retarded. what's the source?

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
this sounds extremely retarded. what's the source?

IMG_0164.jpeg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In general the WPA will not be involved directly in disputes not involving pool, so far as I know. The English Billiards event was organized by the WPBSA (I believe) which is currently in a dispute with the snooker branch of the WCBS, the IBSF.

If I had to guess it would be that the IBSF is trying to do what it can to prevent the WPBSA from running a competing/conflicting World Championship, and that it asked, maybe through the WCBS or maybe directly that the CTBF (Chinese Taipei Billiard Federation) impose sanctions against Singaporese pool players.

Of course this is all horribly broken. At a minimum, Singapore should have been informed immediately after the disputed event that its players in all disciplines would be banned from WCBS member-sanctioned events.

Sigh.

And I think the situation is complicated and not all of the blame lies in a single camp.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
In general the WPA will not be involved directly in disputes not involving pool, so far as I know. The English Billiards event was organized by the WPBSA (I believe) which is currently in a dispute with the snooker branch of the WCBS, the IBSF.

If I had to guess it would be that the IBSF is trying to do what it can to prevent the WPBSA from running a competing/conflicting World Championship, and that it asked, maybe through the WCBS or maybe directly that the CTBF (Chinese Taipei Billiard Federation) impose sanctions against Singaporese pool players.

Of course this is all horribly broken. At a minimum, Singapore should have been informed immediately after the disputed event that its players in all disciplines would be banned from WCBS member-sanctioned events.

Sigh.

And I think the situation is complicated and not all of the blame lies in a single camp.
So many acronyms... Why can't we all just get along

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trying to understand.

Battle of Snooker IOC Governing Bodies
In 2018 there was a lot of tension behind who the WCBS recognizes for snooker which appeared to be an ongoing conflict between International Billiards and Snooker Federation (IBSF) that favored amateur snooker and World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association (WPBSA) with professional snooker. Ultimately the IBSF ended up the only recognized member of the World Confederation of Billiard Sports (WCBS) for snooker.

IBSF 2022 World Championship (Snooker)
This IBSF "World Championship" was held in Malaysia by the Malaysian Snooker and Billiards Federation (MSBF). This event is recognized under the IOC umbrella through the Asian Confederation of Billiard Sports (ACBS)

WPBSA 2022 World Championship (Snooker)
The competing WPBSA "World Championship" was held in Singapore by World Billiards Limited (WBL). This was in cooperation with the Singapore Billiards and Snooker Federation (Cuesports Singapore). This event was not recognized under the IOC umbrella even though Cuesports Singapore is a member of the ACBS.

ACBS Angry
The ACBS threatened to ban any player competing in this event.

ACBS Pool Governance
Keep in mind the ACBS received WPA recognition as the Asian pool body in September 2022. This gave the ACBS teeth over Asian pool.

IBSF 2023 World Championship (Snooker)
And don't forget the 2023 IBSF world championship will be held in Qatar with support from the Qatar Billiards & Snooker Federation (QBSF). I'm sure they're going to feel strongly about what the WPBSA did and CueSports Singapore's complicity with it.

ACBS Suspension of Singapore
Knowing the ACBS president is from Qatar it's likely the QBSF and MSBF have more influence in ACBS decisions than CueSports Singapore and that this decision was made inside the ACBS alone. That decision based on current news is that it appears Cuesports Singapore is suspended from all ACBS events at the moment. I can't find a press release about this.

2023 Formosa Cup
The Chinese Taipei Billiard & Snooker Federation (CTBSF) puts on the annual Formosa Cup event named after the historical name "Formosa" for Taiwan to promote cue sports in the region. I'm unaware if this is a pool-only event or whether it is multi-disciplinary. Since the CTBSF is a member of the ACBS, the suspension of Cuesports Singapore applied to the pool athletes attending the event. This seems shortsighted of the ACBS but I get the impression those folks from Qatar do not mess around when it comes to acquiring, holding and exercising officially recognized power in advancement of their interests.

Singapore Pool Athletes at the Event
Looks like the timing of accepting entries from Singapore athletes, making travel arrangements, and informing athletes of the ban was not ideal. It appears the athletes arrived anyway either not having noticed the ban notification, showing up because the cost of the arrangements were non-refundable, or perhaps hoping a WPA ruling would override the application of this ACBS ban on Singapore pool players over a snooker-related matter.

I now can close the 36 tabs I opened in my web browser trying to understand all this alphabet soup.

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sigh.

GYK is not allowed to play tournament pool since she started playing in Billiard tournaments.

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You may want to expand on that because in general it is perfectly OK to play in multiple disciplines.
i cant-All i know is what she is telling her friends for the last 1-2 years. She is doing great in Billiards, has REAL sponsors and is driving a Ferrari around Seoul -When she played pool, she couldn't afford a VW!

Oh and that should have been GYK

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a million dollar question. Could we see this play out with a Matchroom impact? Might the ACBS not put forward any Singapore players to the world championship?

Is this Formosa Open the same as the Matchroom Chinese Taipei Open ranking event? There's three of those, right? (Sept, Nov, and Dec). What about the Peri 9-ball Open in Hanoi, Vietnam? What's the relationship between the Asian Pool Federation putting on the TE Capital APP 9-ball in Singapore? Will ACBS expect players to not attend that?

Given this started from an amatuer snooker governing body vs. a professional snooker governing body, how different is this than the battle between WPA and Matchroom's World Professional Nineball Pool Corporation? Could this spill into an actual Matchroom event like the Asian Open?

I know this started with a battle over competing "world championships" and Matchroom isn't doing that. But will the ACBS try to flex against Matchroom expanding operations in Asia and will Singapore just be the first shots fired?

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Here's a million dollar question. Could we see this play out with a Matchroom impact? Might the ACBS not put forward any Singapore players to the world championship?

Is this Formosa Open the same as the Matchroom Chinese Taipei Open ranking event? There's three of those, right? (Sept, Nov, and Dec). What about the Peri 9-ball Open in Hanoi, Vietnam? What's the relationship between the Asian Pool Federation putting on the TE Capital APP 9-ball in Singapore? Will ACBS expect players to not attend that?

Given this started from an amatuer snooker governing body vs. a professional snooker governing body, how different is this than the battle between WPA and Matchroom's World Professional Nineball Pool Corporation? Could this spill into an actual Matchroom event like the Asian Open?

I know this started with a battle over competing "world championships" and Matchroom isn't doing that. But will the ACBS try to flex against Matchroom expanding operations in Asia and will Singapore just be the first shots fired?

I think this foreshadows what we will see in the future with the WPA licensing requirement for the upcoming Qatar open and other WPA sanctioned events.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Trying to understand.
I now can close the 36 tabs I opened in my web browser trying to understand all this alphabet soup.
Stout heart! Not included in your summary is the fight between the UMB and the Korean 3c promoter and the 3c politics in the US. And a couple of other situations that cause "earnest discussions " in snooker and pool.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The WPA is trying to create a monopoly.....through force and intimidation. Am I the only one that sees a problem here? Let the competition continue. A better product will be the end result.